F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
GetBMWParts

12-08-2019, 01:39 AM   #23
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
What was your dip switch set up?
1, 2, 3 and 7 on, the rest off. I tried using my OEM backup cam and it still worked with 7 both on and off, so not sure what that one really does.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2019, 02:35 AM   #24
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Quote:
What was your dip switch set up?
1, 2, 3 and 7 on, the rest off. I tried using my OEM backup cam and it still worked with 7 both on and off, so not sure what that one really does.
Thanks! So even with 1 on (which I guess means track off?) OEM camera lines appear and turn and everything?
      12-08-2019, 03:27 AM   #25
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
What is it's audio interface? Does it use AUX like all the other units?
Yes, AUX Front-in is used.
There really is no other way to get sound in, that's why all of these units use that method.

Quote:
Cross posting since I totally missed this thread, here's been my experience so far with this unit.
Don't worry, I only just created this thread yesterday. I am trying to 'break off' from the other thread as the title is misleading and other units are discussed, too.

Quote:
Saying "Hey Siri" allows me to do whatever through the unit without touching anything. I think there's a button shortcut for this too? But not sure what that is.
Long pressing the voice button on the steering wheel should trigger Siri (or Google Assistant) as well.

Quote:
I have heads up display. So when sound is playing via CarPlay, you can control the CarPlay menu using the steering wheel controls. However the heads up display populates a message saying "action not available in AUX mode" or something, while you scroll from your steering wheel. That's really the only "non OEM" drawback.
I have that, too (the BimmerTech units for 649$ as well).
It's an official limitation by BMW. But the message only appears on pushing the wheel, not while scrolling. So they figured out some way to disable it there, maybe they will intercept it for the push in the future, too.

Quote:
Definitely worth the upgrade, very happy so far.
Glad I waited for a solution that checked all the boxes for me: wireless, 8.8" full screen support, and uses OEM mic. Bonus that Andream seems to be actively working on firmware updates and includes Android Auto just as a luxury.
Fully agree, couldn't have said it better.
I especially love that I don't even have to get my phone out of my pocket. Just get in the car, connect and drive.

Quote:
There is a software configuration for camera selection in the unit's 'Setup' menu. I wonder if the dip switch is even used or if it is entirely controlled by software.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 03:50 AM   #26
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Long pressing the voice button on the steering wheel should trigger Siri (or Google Assistant) as well.
This doesn't work in CarPlay if you also have the BMW BT system paired at the same time. They trigger and seem to cancel each other out. If you want to activate Siri while in CarPlay, long press on the ID Jog Dial brings up CarPlay Siri. I find I still need to use the BMW BT as the call quality in the Andream box using the OEM mic is very poor.

Also a note on the dip switches. Andream confirmed to me they only use the following settings. The earlier picture posted is not representative of this box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-08-2019, 04:18 AM   #27
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

I updated the first post with some more info. Still work in progress, but it's coming along

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymcg View Post
This doesn't work in CarPlay if you also have the BMW BT system paired at the same time. They trigger and seem to cancel each other out. If you want to activate Siri while in CarPlay, long press on the ID Jog Dial brings up CarPlay Siri.
Ah, could it be because you are able to trigger Siri over OEM BT? I read about that feature somewhere but I don't have an iPhone so never tried it.
Long press works fine for Google Assistant (tested it myself), but then again Google Assistant is not officially supported by BMW.

Quote:
I find I still need to use the BMW BT as the call quality in the Andream box using the OEM mic is very poor.
Weird, some seem to have good audio quality, some don't.

Quote:
Also a note on the dip switches. Andream confirmed to me they only use the following settings. The earlier picture posted is not representative of this box.
Thanks, I replaced the image and added some more explanations.
This was my impression also, the other dip switches don't seem to do anything.
Appreciate 2
fe7565528.50
      12-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #28
UnknownBeing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i (22 M340i in-transit)

Can't wait for them to release the software update to fix the AA widescreen issue, once they do that I will place my order for it.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #29
kmall10
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 420DX

Is there any videos of one of these working and all the options on it?
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #30
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! So even with 1 on (which I guess means track off?) OEM camera lines appear and turn and everything?
When you put it in reverse, you hear the box click as it switches back to the OEM camera display interface. The backup camera is not displayed through this unit's interface or CarPlay. Once you put it back in drive, it clicks back to CarPlay (in my experience).

Quote:

There is a software configuration for camera selection in the unit's 'Setup' menu. I wonder if the dip switch is even used or if it is entirely controlled by software.
Thanks!
I noticed that as well. I played around with a few camera settings there and nothing seemed to change when I put it in reverse (I don't think this box can modify the OEM camera interface).

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I replaced the image and added some more explanations.
This was my impression also, the other dip switches don't seem to do anything.
I'm not having any issues with 7 set to "on". I wonder if they just have something to do with those extra connectors within the AV USB bundle. Leaving as is unless I notice any issues. Wish there were more details for each switch instead of them just saying "off". Going to shoot them a message to try to get a little clarity on Switch 7.

Last edited by mlev; 12-08-2019 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #31
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Front parking sensors is not something that works with the unit either. You press the button and it switches to the PDC screen, but as soon as it realises it's not in reverse just switches back to carplay. So you effectively can't use the front sensors.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #32
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Front parking sensors is not something that works with the unit either. You press the button and it switches to the PDC screen, but as soon as it realises it's not in reverse just switches back to carplay. So you effectively can't use the front sensors.
Good observation. But luckily it takes about 1 second to long press "MENU" if you need to activate front sensors - so you can still turn on that PDC screen.

This does seem like something that can be modified with their software though.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #33
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

For anyone looking for a reverse camera to go with this, after sending them a couple of messages (and a link to another site with there camera listed) they have now put the camera needed on AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295...712d4c4dLrVVbW

Make sure you choose the 4.8 x 16.4cm camera for the Fx range.
Appreciate 3
Ha11z22.50
msq12333.50
      12-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #34
Ha11z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xD GT

Well guys you’ve sold me, thanks firefly1337 and everyone for all the great info.
Order placed (with the camera too, thanks cossie1). Hopefully it arrives soon.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #35
masaike
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

anyone in San Diego can install this for me?
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #36
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi All,

Received another download link today in a bid to sort out the BT calling quality while using CarPlay. Here is the link: https://mega.nz/#!yp8SAKZD!snGYjB9NE...MN_40XbqysuFBk

I have not bothered installing it, as I have decided to keep using the BMW BT system for the following reason. I still use the DAB radio, so if I did switch to using the CarPlay for calls it wouldn't work while listening to the radio. As the CarPlay uses the AUX input it won't auto switch from radio when a call comes in. So thinking using the Andream for call is utterly pointless. So will keep using the BMW Bt system as it also has the added advantage of HUD integration.

So only issue they are working on for me at the moment is front PDC.

All in all box is still going great!
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #37
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Hi All,

Received another download link today in a bid to sort out the BT calling quality while using CarPlay. Here is the link: https://mega.nz/#!yp8SAKZD!snGYjB9NE...MN_40XbqysuFBk
It's the same file as posted before, same CRC32 checksum and I just did a hex compare to be sure and they are identical.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #38
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

For anyone interested in Android Auto: Samsung released the Android 10 update for S10 yesterday (at least in Sweden), and the Andream box actually works with S10 Android Auto wireless now. The box rebooted once during driving. Might have been a one time thing though. Google Assistant with Spotify doesn't seem to work with Android Auto wireless, but I'm experimenting with multiple input languages, so that might be it, or me messing up some other setting. I was pretty surprised (kind of impressed) that Android Auto wireless worked at all.

Improvements I'm hoping for:
1) Thay they fix so it's possible to code the head unit without having to disconnect the Andream box.
2) Higher Android Auto screen resolution

I can live with long pressing the menu button to get back to ID4 for the rear camera/park distance sensors. Perhaps they should add the switch back to Android Auto/CarPlay when the car is moving over a set speed. Or just stay in ID4 after driver puts gear in rear until the user long press menu. This is minor for me at least.

All in all a remarkable little box for the price really, just hoping they do those last finishing software touches.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 11:27 PM   #39
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

It's the same file as posted before, same CRC32 checksum and I just did a hex compare to be sure and they are identical.
Ah ok I didn't check. Like I said I am not going to use the box for phone calls anyway
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 01:37 AM   #40
JLBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 428ix GC

I have a Galaxy S7 running Android 8.0. Does screen mirroring, mirrorlink, AA use a USB cable to pass video and audio to the MMI? If so, does the USB cable also charge the phone? I understand wireless AA is only supported with Android 9.0 or higher.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #41
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBMW View Post
I have a Galaxy S7 running Android 8.0. Does screen mirroring, mirrorlink, AA use a USB cable to pass video and audio to the MMI? If so, does the USB cable also charge the phone? I understand wireless AA is only supported with Android 9.0 or higher.
Yeah, it charges the phone. It seems to be the same charging speed as the builtin car USB. I would guess 2.5 watt.

Wireless AA only started to work for me with Android 10.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #42
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Ah ok I didn't check. Like I said I am not going to use the box for phone calls anyway
Phone calls using CarPlay introduces echo with speakers volume set above 50%

However, it is way clear in comparison to BT - HD calls will be offloaded to CarPlay no problem.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #43
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I find I still need to use the BMW BT as the call quality in the Andream box using the OEM mic is very poor.
Are you referring to the call quality on your speakers or on the recipient's end? I'm surprised the quality is such an issue for you. I've noticed the call quality actually sounds better through my speakers via CarPlay than OEM Bluetooth. I haven't compared how I sound, but haven't received any complaints on the far end. Maybe it's my HK system?
I can understand wanting to be able to be able to hang up through HUD/steering wheel.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #44
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
Quote:
Phone calls using CarPlay introduces echo with speakers volume set above 50%

However, it is way clear in comparison to BT - HD calls will be offloaded to CarPlay no problem.
Yeah shame the quality all round just isn't there
Appreciate 1