F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Rear Brakes: 22,000 miles-> 3,100 miles
ARMA SPEED

01-31-2024, 02:30 PM   #1
Neue_Klasse
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

Hey everyone, just wanted to check if anyone experienced anything similar on their F3x card:
  1. Started the car and noticed that it told me “Service in 3,100 miles”
  2. I was a bit surprised as I recently caught up on all service but check in iDrive - rear brakes indeed were due for service in 3,100 miles even though few weeks ago they were at 22,000 miles.
  3. Disclaimer: I don’t track this car, it’s my daily driver, I don’t drive it too aggressively.

I haven’t checked the brakes visually yet, will do it over the weekend.

Did anyone see this happen before?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 03:30 PM   #2
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

i believe we have 2 stage wear sensors on our brake pads, first stage determines your estimated wear rate so it gives you miles estimate (the 22k you saw before), but once the 2nd stage is reached it basically tells you have only a limited amount of miles left before they need to be changed. if i had to guess your sensor reached the 2nd stage and is giving you 3000 miles of driving left before you need to change them.

now whether that is accurate or not, you'd need to visually check your pads, its possible the sensors are wrong or it could be something else entirely.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 03:32 PM   #3
Neue_Klasse
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
i believe we have 2 stage wear sensors on our brake pads, first stage determines your estimated wear rate so it gives you miles estimate (the 22k you saw before), but once the 2nd stage is reached it basically tells you have only a limited amount of miles left before they need to be changed. if i had to guess your sensor reached the 2nd stage and is giving you 3000 miles of driving left before you need to change them.

now whether that is accurate or not, you'd need to visually check your pads, its possible the sensors are wrong or it could be something else entirely.
This is helpful, appreciate it! I should probably check Bentley service manual, they should have these details there.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 04:21 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The 'first stage', which estimates the mileage/time to a pad change, is a pure guess. The car doesn't know the condition of the pads. The 'second stage', tripping of a sensor, happens when that pad is on its last legs. The problem is that there are only two sensors, but there are eight pads. The only way to know what's going on is visual inspection of all eight pads on a regular basis. You can't trust what it says in iDrive. If a sensor is tripped, causing a dashboard warning and mileage count down, get it done right away.

I did have to replace my first set of pads at 11k miles, even though the iDrive said they were good to 40k miles, due to inadequate lubrication of the pads at the factory, which caused them to fail to retract.
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2024, 05:59 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The 'first stage', which estimates the mileage/time to a pad change, is a pure guess. The car doesn't know the condition of the pads. The 'second stage', tripping of a sensor, happens when that pad is on its last legs. The problem is that there are only two sensors, but there are eight pads. The only way to know what's going on is visual inspection of all eight pads on a regular basis. You can't trust what it says in iDrive. If a sensor is tripped, causing a dashboard warning and mileage count down, get it done right away.

I did have to replace my first set of pads at 11k miles, even though the iDrive said they were good to 40k miles, due to inadequate lubrication of the pads at the factory, which caused them to fail to retract.
"visual inspection of all eight pads on a regular basis" is a must. Could not agree more with Billfitz .
Appreciate 0