F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F30 335i - 2013 - Oil temp gauge not working, limp mode
proTUNING Freaks

02-26-2020, 12:46 AM   #1
SpringOfTheMan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Unhappy F30 335i - 2013 - Oil temp gauge not working, limp mode

The car has 81k miles on it, just had it serviced yesterday. Just last week, I had about a 20-minute drive home, mostly highway. As I was going I noticed the oil temp gauge wasn't moving, but it was close to freezing so I thought it was just taking a bit. But then after about 10 minutes, my heat still hadn't kicked on. Once I got off the highway, I noticed that the car had put itself into limp mode, it wouldn't give me any power past about 2000-2500 rpm. I pulled over into a parking lot, shut it off, and then started it again after a minute or two. It ran fine for a couple of miles, but then did the same thing, and threw the CEL at me.

I had it serviced yesterday and mentioned it, but the issue wasn't occurring when I took it in so they said they couldn't do much. They did an oil change and a few other things, this was a service appointment I already had set up. I drove it about 2 hours home, and it ran fine the entire way, but just tonight on my drive home from work, it did the exact same thing, and I noticed when I turned it off, the radiator fan was running pretty fast.

I've tried searching, but haven't seen much that seems to directly correlate to this issue. My main guess at this point is the sensor itself going bad. I'm ordering a cable to read the codes myself tonight, but if the issue is the sensor, is this something I could reasonably DIY? After having to get a couple of gaskets replaced yesterday, I don't really want to drive back and spend even more on another issue so soon if I can reasonably do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

F30 335i - 2013 - Oil temp gauge not working, limp mode

You really need to have someone scan the vehicle for codes.

Shot in the dark: Was the cooling fan (engine) running the entire time? If so perhaps a water pump or thermostat problem (N55?).

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
You really need to have someone scan the vehicle for codes.

Shot in the dark: Was the cooling fan (engine) running the entire time? If so perhaps a water pump or thermostat problem (N55?).
1+ on this.
scan it, with a proper too for bmw.
also fan is a hint that it's the Water Pump and/or Tstat.
have them both replaced at the same time. don't do just one.

post the codes.
Appreciate 0