F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sliding the F30 / 320
proTUNING Freaks

03-06-2020, 02:06 AM   #1
F30Unit
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Question Sliding the F30 / 320

Noob question over here, but for years I drove a fwd, and during the high school days I'd do the occasional e brake rips, or would turn off traction systems and get a Chevy Cruze 😂 to "slide" for a bit.

My thing is, I know for something like an m3, giving it a little gas while making a left turn for example will kick the rear out. I see with the 320 with it's limited power, I wasn't able to fully do this. Got it to slide a little once, but it overcorrected to the other side.

Was hoping to get some more knowledge on this, so I don't hug a pole one day😂
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 04:53 AM   #2
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

What are you asking for.... a gained skill????
Either take your car out and learn how to drive it, or stop fkn around dangerously. You clearly don't know what you're doing, especially when YOU think that the car overcorrected itself. Nope, that was all you and not knowing wtf you were doing.
I've got a 330i xdrive, and I can drift it easily in the snow.
I don't have the balls to force a slide on dry pavement because I'd have to increase speed by a larger amount than I'm willing to fk up at with our only car.
Appreciate 3
      03-06-2020, 05:04 AM   #3
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

I can't tell you how many threads began with 'I was drifting' and ended up being 'need new shocks, wheel, etc. Often because of curb; often because of potholes; always because of physics.

OP...it's an expensive toy. If you don't have others to play with, treat this one nicely.

I'm old, that's why I sound this way.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 4
njdangelo434.50
scostu1621.00
tex26702411.00
      03-06-2020, 05:11 AM   #4
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Also, if you're wondering how far my "skill" goes, in the snow I'll drift it on empty streets in an industrial park, late at night, and upto about 90kph. That's a 90kph slide that is continuous for about 150 to 200 meters, in my own lane. I'd try faster but I can't see the oncoming lane at the exit and it's over a crest for where I can do that one. Aside from that one spot, I'll keep it around 60 or 70.
On dry pavement. I've done 90 on a cloverleaf and the tires just barely started to let loose after a little squealing.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
F30Unit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
Also, if you're wondering how far my "skill" goes, in the snow I'll drift it on empty streets in an industrial park, late at night, and upto about 90kph. That's a 90kph slide that is continuous for about 150 to 200 meters, in my own lane. I'd try faster but I can't see the oncoming lane at the exit and it's over a crest for where I can do that one. Aside from that one spot, I'll keep it around 60 or 70.
On dry pavement. I've done 90 on a cloverleaf and the tires just barely started to let loose after a little squealing.
dawg did you just reply to yourself? lmao, seems like you the one fckn around.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
F30Unit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
I can't tell you how many threads began with 'I was drifting' and ended up being 'need new shocks, wheel, etc. Often because of curb; often because of potholes; always because of physics.

OP...it's an expensive toy. If you don't have others to play with, treat this one nicely.

I'm old, that's why I sound this way.
Yes sir, and I am not really drifting around the streets cuz I dont know how to drift. Thats why I wanted to hear people out, but hey my guy can drift his xdrive in the snow going 90kph
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
F30Unit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Either take your car out and learn how to drive it, or stop fkn around dangerously. You clearly don't know what you're doing, especially when YOU think that the car overcorrected itself. Nope, that was all you and not knowing wtf you were doing.
I don't have the balls to force a slide on dry pavement because I'd have to increase speed by a larger amount than I'm willing to fk up at with our only car.
Thank you for your worthless answer. Also you drive an xdrive gtfo, I was asking for how rwd should be treated. Go, go slide in the snow bruv
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedturbo View Post
Quote:
Thank you for your worthless answer. Also you drive an xdrive gtfo, I was asking for how rwd should be treated. Go, go slide in the snow bruv
You sound like a great person. Keep up the good work.
tex26702411.00
      03-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yeah..... I've drifted every vehicle I've ever owned so I know how they'll respond in an emergency situation.
Just because you don't understand that it's more difficult to drift an AWD vehicle over a RWD.
Especially when you think an M3 only gets loose when turning left lol.
Since you obviously don't know anything about drifting an underpowered car, go look up Keiichi Tsuchiyas drift bible. It will show you how to slide an underpowered car.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Well this thread is heading in the right direction.
Appreciate 4
F30lolz6798.50
tex26702411.00
      03-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #11
Seesnax
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Well this thread is drifting in the right direction.

Fixed.
Appreciate 6
FaRKle!4006.50
njdangelo434.50
F30lolz6798.50
MmmmmM22588.50
      03-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #12
F30Unit
Private
Rep

All i wanted was some knowledge lmao
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #13
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Sign up for a car control clinic that has access to a skid pad. After you can sustain a slide around the pad move onto autocross. Closed course. Always.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #14
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yup I can drift my AWD in the snow.... you know it takes more skill to drift a vehicle that is made to have the most traction and stability possible right?
You're also aware that just because it's AWD doesn't mean it isn't a heavily rear bias AWD system, it's not like a Subaru with symmetrical AWD. I owned the 2002 WRX when it came out for a year, and I can tell you it handled a lot better in the snow with it's AWD system. By handling better I mean it was almost impossible to get it out of line and keep it sliding. Whereas the BMW allows you to turn off driver aids and let's you play.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #15
simonelwell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05) 30d M Sport

I don't have the 320 but have a RWD 4 series. With all the computers on, kicking the back out is quite hard - you have to be pretty violent with it - even with a larger engine. With a 320 I would expect you to have to really throw it hard over to break grip.
My car has a sport + mode that turns off the ASC without completely disabling all the safety features - that mode allows for a little more twitch on the back end. Of course turning all the safety features off gives you the best chance of stepping the back out - but as another contributer pointed out - now you're really on your own so handle with extreme caution.
Sport + mode allows me just enough slide to break grip a little in a corner and you always have to be waiting for it so you catch the slide with some opposite lock. If it catches you unawares, be prepared to spin. Not something for the public road until you're really familiar with the dynamics of your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #16
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Yup I can drift my AWD in the snow.... you know it takes more skill to drift a vehicle that is made to have the most traction and stability possible right?
You're also aware that just because it's AWD doesn't mean it isn't a heavily rear bias AWD system, it's not like a Subaru with symmetrical AWD. I owned the 2002 WRX when it came out for a year, and I can tell you it handled a lot better in the snow with it's AWD system. By handling better I mean it was almost impossible to get it out of line and keep it sliding. Whereas the BMW allows you to turn off driver aids and let's you play.
IDK about that AWD system in real time here in Maryland, i remember once on I-495 southbound when we had that snow-tropolis if i remember correctly in between 2009-2011 ish i was still AD in the Military driving my 3-star Admiral on a SA ops detail and we were going northbound. The Subi, was spun 180 on the southbound side and wrecked, most likely though a combo of worn out tires and bad driver, lol...
      03-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #17
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I raced my WRX everywhere, before knowing they had a glass gearbox, no issues with mine though, and for me I found you just needed balls to push the gas when you would think you should be braking.
I was racing a guy in traffic (I was young then) down a highway, switched from the middle lane to left most, he went to the right lane, the left lane cars were slowing for no reason, I had barely passed the car in the center lane, whipped it to the right, went completely perpendicular to the flow of traffic, got the front half of the car in the middle lane, counter steer the slide, floor it, and it straightened out like a dream, back in the middle lane. I definitely got lucky, but it was go big or go into the back of the car in the left lane. Certainly wasn't something I'd recommend.
Another time I was cruising through a blizzard, about 8 to 12 inches of snow on the ground, late at night, I was doing maybe 120 and a cop pulled out to get me from a 3way intersection, I watched him sliding across all 3 lanes for about a block before he straightened it out, I just slowed and let him catch up, no real way to get away from him radioing ahead, I was one of the only cars on the road that night so I'd be easy to spot, pulled over and he just told me to slow it down a bit. I wasn't drifting then, just driving faster than conditions would dictate as being safe.... despite not sliding around at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:51 PM   #18
F30Unit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Sign up for a car control clinic that has access to a skid pad. After you can sustain a slide around the pad move onto autocross. Closed course. Always.
Thank You!

*this was what im looking for a while now, didnt know what its called

Last edited by F30Unit; 03-06-2020 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #19
F30Unit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonelwell View Post
I don't have the 320 but have a RWD 4 series. With all the computers on, kicking the back out is quite hard - you have to be pretty violent with it - even with a larger engine. With a 320 I would expect you to have to really throw it hard over to break grip.
My car has a sport + mode that turns off the ASC without completely disabling all the safety features - that mode allows for a little more twitch on the back end. Of course turning all the safety features off gives you the best chance of stepping the back out - but as another contributer pointed out - now you're really on your own so handle with extreme caution.
Sport + mode allows me just enough slide to break grip a little in a corner and you always have to be waiting for it so you catch the slide with some opposite lock. If it catches you unawares, be prepared to spin. Not something for the public road until you're really familiar with the dynamics of your vehicle.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I know an event that has a place for burnouts or drag strip, good place to go. But thats what I wanted to know really, how hard is it to let the rear out. Interesting knowing the 4 series also needs a kick
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:55 PM   #20
F30Unit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Look my man I have no issue with your driving skills, Im sure you're a great driver. Your approach just seemed way too aggressive, I am not doing anything dangerous on the streets, and IF i were to do anything im doing it with no one around so Im the only liability. Thanks for your insight though
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #21
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedturbo View Post
Look my man I have no issue with your driving skills, Im sure you're a great driver. Your approach just seemed way too aggressive, I am not doing anything dangerous on the streets, and IF i were to do anything im doing it with no one around so Im the only liability. Thanks for your insight though

CA, bahahahahahahahah I'll bet you are stuck on oberlin.

Please leave.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #22
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yea it was aggressive and it was meant to be. You don't seem like you have even the basic theory down, let alone any of the practical knowledge, and certainly none of the skill required.
it's an expensive thing to get in to as well, I don't know what rims and tires you have on yours, but the 330i has low pro 18 inch tires, looking at about a grand for a set, and you'll easily be blowing through a set a year if you start driving hard, let alone drifting.
Look up the video I suggested and check actual driving course videos, underpowered means you'll have to work at the upper limits of speed to get it sideways, or really thrash it hard. More power makes it easier to get sideways at more easily manageable speeds, which lessens the chance of something catastrophic happening because of your lack of knowledge and ability.
I've been driving since I was 15, I'm just under 40 now, and I have drifted every vehicle I've owned to gain the knowledge and ability I have(at least 10 different vehicles), and it definitely wouldn't hurt me to take a driving course to learn more.

Watch Initial D as well, it may be just some anime series, but keiichi tsuchiya was the consultant for the show, so it's not all hot air and guesswork.

Last edited by Icarium81; 03-06-2020 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0