F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Should I buy my leased 435i or buy reserved Tesla Model 3?
ARMA SPEED

10-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #23
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Aren't the 3's delayed even further now from production release? Swear I heard that over the radio just yesterday coming into work.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #24
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
Its funny to me that no one here actually much cares about the mechanical, esthetic or performance differences between a 4 series and model 3. Which is sort of positive and making me think more practical and maturely.
I DO care but other things come first and foremost, lol

Have you only looked at Tesla? Any other brands that interest you?

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?

Last edited by jeffc83; 10-05-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #25
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

The delays actually help most buyers since it would extend the incentive periods and their burn off. My lease isn’t up until March 31 so it might be pretty close to it. I was actually considering even a Prius prime but god damn that’s a downgrade in every direction except mpg. Living in California I’d like a rwd BMW or Tesla- I’ve had a Lexus and while I like them their tech, nav and engines are so dated.

Audis n Mercs are more cost to own than the bmw. An A5 also isn’t as good a performer/ bad purchase rates. The mercs go way higher than even the bmws optioned out n I’m not sold on much of their line up- I see a merc sedan 1000 times a day and they actually do look the exact same. I’m not stuck on luxury but it seems to be the only segment with powerful rwd cars with nice n decent appointments. I’d rather keep my car over say, a mustang. Infinitis are also disappointing on the inside. I think user interface inside tends to matter more to me than it used to. The bmw idrive is one of the best I’ve used and I hear Audi’s and Tesla’s systems are just as good if not better.

I’d actually consider a Mazda but they are painfully too slow for my personal taste.

Then there’s the dealership experience- BMW here isn’t a day spa like LEXUS can be but it’s way better than the Audi n Merc dealers here. I have no experience with Tesla but they also require much less maintenance- quality control being another thing.

The non luxury dealers in LA are like Walmart- they don’t care and it shows. I actually go through a broker for my car purchases as a result. So what other cars or options would some of you consider if you had a low mileage 435 already in your possession?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #26
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It all boils down to personal taste and preference. I would personally consider an Audi and/or MB but I see you wouldn't. Then again, I can't stand MB's exterior (you hit the nail there) and round interior vents but that same deterrent might appeal to others. If those are out, I'm not even gonna suggest Porsche then!

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #27
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
It all boils down to personal taste and preference. I would personally consider an Audi and/or MB but I see you wouldn't. Then again, I can't stand MB's exterior (you hit the nail there) and round interior vents but that same deterrent might appeal to others. If those are out, I'm not even gonna suggest Porsche then!
In the east coast I would totally consider an Audi, here its like I am paying for awd just because I don't want the front wheel or its the better appointed car. Yeah even the merc C class coupe, just abruptly stops in the back making it look sorta pudgy.

Additionally, how does Merc get all these suckers to buy their cars with halogen headlights in 2017? I see it all the time here and its ridiculous. If there is any car brand with very little consumer awareness , its gotta be mercedes. They are more badge than anything BMW or Audi have produced unless you spend north of 70k. That said I would consider a GLC cuv coupe but that also gets ridiculously expensive. Its too bad Jag and Alpha are awful in reality. You have to be a die hard fans of their to buy into their entry/mid level options.

I wish I could afford any Porsche but thats even less practical outside of their sedans and SUVs.

All in all, I know we would all do different things, I guess I am trying to gauge what those would be for others. Everyone's made some real good points worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #28
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
In the east coast I would totally consider an Audi, here its like I am paying for awd just because I don't want the front wheel or its the better appointed car. Yeah even the merc C class coupe, just abruptly stops in the back making it look sorta pudgy.

Additionally, how does Merc get all these suckers to buy their cars with halogen headlights in 2017? I see it all the time here and its ridiculous. If there is any car brand with very little consumer awareness , its gotta be mercedes. They are more badge than anything BMW or Audi have produced unless you spend north of 70k. That said I would consider a GLC cuv coupe but that also gets ridiculously expensive. Its too bad Jag and Alpha are awful in reality. You have to be a die hard fans of their to buy into their entry/mid level options.

I wish I could afford any Porsche but thats even less practical outside of their sedans and SUVs.

All in all, I know we would all do different things, I guess I am trying to gauge what those would be for others. Everyone's made some real good points worth considering.
Understood with the Audi and MB.

Regarding the halogens; it is not only 2017 but it also says lots of things about the manufacturer AND the owner!

Good point with the Jag too; I always forget about that brand due to the vast amount of issues. I looked at the XE, wasn't extremely impressed then completely forgot about it!

I'm sure others will chime in as sometimes one might think of something others wouldn't! This is how I ended up NOT buying yet another Cadillac....forums and the BMW rental after my accident lol

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #29
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:

SERIOUSLY!! It's crazy you can get a luxury car with halogen lights.. my fiancé went with halogens on her F30 328 M Sport. Now she's regretting it seeing her car next to mine! Maybe that's why she's so motivated to get the Model 3 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
Can't stand MB in all those aspects too. The exterior to me is Unless we going AMG.. then the extra "flare" makes up for the lack of design.

SOOOOo at the end of the day.. just stay BMW
jeffc83722.00
      10-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #30
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
SERIOUSLY!! It's crazy you can get a luxury car with halogen lights.. my fiancé went with halogens on her F30 328 M Sport. Now she's regretting it seeing her car next to mine! Maybe that's why she's so motivated to get the Model 3 as well.

Can't stand MB in all those aspects too. The exterior to me is Unless we going AMG.. then the extra "flare" makes up for the lack of design.

Lol yeah i personally even regret not getting the LED lights for my f32- but they were an added 2-3K at the time. I would totally get a 440 but they're actually pricier now due to BMW getting rid of a ton of incentives from the driving event coupons to MSDs. Even upgrading the headlights and taillights of my current to that of the refresh is ridiculously expensive.

I guess i want a BMW that doesnt exist yet in my price range and may never exist. The car I have is my favorite and only one i really wanted outside of the 6 series but I imagine alot of us are somewhat passionate about the cars we pick-hence being on a forum. Comfort in the car is another thing but thats coming from a spoiled mentality- cuz most cars are far worse. I am really curious how the model 3 feels driving both performance and in comfort.

I'd considered the 2 series once but BMW really went out of their way to make it too squished looking and with basic interior and no added tech like HUD, 360 camera, etc. Its crazy that there are only a few decent RWD cars in general nowadays. After my last few, I just wouldn't want anything else in the California climate. BMW is really the closest it comes to having a bit of everything, they are just getting way more expensive. The 3 series right now has been dated since its awful refresh- it might be first time I considered the refresh worse than the original and all they did was update headlights and taillights... but with awful headlights.

First world, big city, spending out of means problems, i guess. I just can't convince myself into a used car either out of paranoia of its history.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #31
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Lol yeah i personally even regret not getting the LED lights for my f32- but they were an added 2-3K at the time. I would totally get a 440 but they're actually pricier now due to BMW getting rid of a ton of incentives from the driving event coupons to MSDs. Even upgrading the headlights and taillights of my current to that of the refresh is ridiculously expensive.

I guess i want a BMW that doesnt exist yet in my price range and may never exist. The car I have is my favorite and only one i really wanted outside of the 6 series but I imagine alot of us are somewhat passionate about the cars we pick-hence being on a forum. Comfort in the car is another thing but thats coming from a spoiled mentality- cuz most cars are far worse. I am really curious how the model 3 feels driving both performance and in comfort.

I'd considered the 2 series once but BMW really went out of their way to make it too squished looking and with basic interior and no added tech like HUD, 360 camera, etc. Its crazy that there are only a few decent RWD cars in general nowadays. After my last few, I just wouldn't want anything else in the California climate. BMW is really the closest it comes to having a bit of everything, they are just getting way more expensive. The 3 series right now has been dated since its awful refresh- it might be first time I considered the refresh worse than the original and all they did was update headlights and taillights... but with awful headlights.

First world, big city, spending out of means problems, i guess. I just can't convince myself into a used car either out of paranoia of its history.
I feel the 2 series are too small too. But those M240s are pretty damn fun! I can't imagine another car neither that has all that BMW provides. Some cars can really perform in one thing but not in others. I don't mind a used car as the first 2 years or so the depreciation is just unbelievable.
      10-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #32
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Lease, don?t buy, the Model 3 when your lease is up. If you get tired of it, do a lease swap for something else. Whatever you do, don?t buy out your 4 series lease. It sounds like you aren?t 100% happy with it, so move on.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #33
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Lease, don?t buy, the Model 3 when your lease is up. If you get tired of it, do a lease swap for something else. Whatever you do, don?t buy out your 4 series lease. It sounds like you aren?t 100% happy with it, so move on.
I wouldn't say Im not entirely happy with it but I am curious why do you say to not buy out the 4 series? I mean if i can get a dealer to sell it to me for 32K versus my 36 buyout id be somewhat interested.. Curious about your reasoning.

Also with leasing Teslas, i feel like thers not much of an advantage there like with a BMW... any background on that?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #34
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't say Im not entirely happy with it but I am curious why do you say to not buy out the 4 series? I mean if i can get a dealer to sell it to me for 32K versus my 36 buyout id be somewhat interested.. Curious about your reasoning.

Also with leasing Teslas, i feel like thers not much of an advantage there like with a BMW... any background on that?
Generally, financed vehicles don?t have much financial advantages over leasing until after 6 years of ownership. Technology on EVs is fast developing and your purchased Tesla 3 will be outdated by that time and you will lose a lot of value. Also, with the state and federal rebates and tax incentives, the leases are much better deals.

As far as purchasing your leased 4, compare it to a similarly packaged CPO car with a warranty. Generally, the CPO is the better deal.

As a personal rule of thumb though, I don?t buy any cars unless I plan on keeping it past 6 years, and I would not buy a BMW out of warranty. They are much better leased cars due to expensive maintenance and the good residuals on the leases. For example, Audi, on the other hand, has terrible lease deals and I would not lease an Audi.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #35
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Some of you will hate the thought but i may get a model 3 around the time my 435i lease is up and still considering my options.

My 435 is in amazing condition w/ 14k miles + I've heard people get good deals through dealer resell, so that makes it an attractive option. (My only regret on is that I didn't get the LED headlights when ordered.)

Now the model 3, without even driving it, I am sure it will be more comfy in city streets and fun in its own weird right. It will probably also have immense support from Tesla. I don't think it will technically be as fast or glued to the road but I don't think it will be too much of a dip- plus its a rwd electric car and that sounds very interesting. The looks of it are obviously a major con vs a 4 series inside and out but it's not quite a normal comparison- they each have very different pros.

The 4 is a hot car but it's impractical in some ways in a place like LA, the Tesla 3 is mostly practical but not as attractive and questionable interior controls. If you had to choose logically, would you buy out your own low mile 435 msport or get one of the earlier Model 3s with a tax incentive?

Would also love to hear wildcard ideas too.
If you think the Model 3 is going to be even 1/2 as nice as a 435i you're kidding yourself. The Model S is not well built or particularly comfortable - it just looks fancy and futuristic. The Model 3 is their first foray into a mass produced car and will be more like a Corolla in terms of actual material quality and amenities.

Tech-wise it may be pretty cool with the semi-autonomous driving coming soon but I have zero desire to buy one myself. I think of those more as a toy or gadget that you can kind of commute in if you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #36
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
If you think the Model 3 is going to be even 1/2 as nice as a 435i you're kidding yourself. The Model S is not well built or particularly comfortable - it just looks fancy and futuristic. The Model 3 is their first foray into a mass produced car and will be more like a Corolla in terms of actual material quality and amenities.

Tech-wise it may be pretty cool with the semi-autonomous driving coming soon but I have zero desire to buy one myself. I think of those more as a toy or gadget that you can kind of commute in if you want.
I’m kinda with you as in this will be mostly for city driving in Los Angeles and I was always thinking nicer more autonomous Prius anyways. I do agree with you that I was even perceiving it as a gadget and that is probably why they’re successful. I am stil a car guy even though I love gadgets. I don’t drive a stick anymore but having the shifter and ebrake there still feels right. I’d totally get the lci of my car but they’ve gotten pricier from a finance sense, cheaper in msrp and I am realizing Tesla’s not leasing the model 3s which may also negate my thought about trying it. They have however applefied their resale values- so I don’t know what’s smart for that car if I got it. It’s too bad not one person has said to buyout my car, it’s been a dream so far but that’s also maybe cuz I only have 14k miles on it after 3 years. A new snapper rocks m package 440 with led lights does sound right though
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #37
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Generally, financed vehicles don?t have much financial advantages over leasing until after 6 years of ownership. Technology on EVs is fast developing and your purchased Tesla 3 will be outdated by that time and you will lose a lot of value. Also, with the state and federal rebates and tax incentives, the leases are much better deals.

As far as purchasing your leased 4, compare it to a similarly packaged CPO car with a warranty. Generally, the CPO is the better deal.

As a personal rule of thumb though, I don?t buy any cars unless I plan on keeping it past 6 years, and I would not buy a BMW out of warranty. They are much better leased cars due to expensive maintenance and the good residuals on the leases. For example, Audi, on the other hand, has terrible lease deals and I would not lease an Audi.
Just found out they’re not offering leases with the 3 yet so definitely a deterrent. I’ve read some people being able to buy their own car CPOd at a dealer for less than residual so that’s what had me interested since my car only has 14k miles on it in 3 years and isn’t going to gain much as long as I live in LA. I would want a 440 but I think they’re a bit pricier for those of us who used msds and event credits. The msd n credits made my lease a bargain for the car. The buy out on March of next year would be about 36k n was thinking a dealer could warranty it n resell it to me. Otherwise if I can somehow get a new 440 at similar pricing I’d consider it
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #38
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I would tell you to buy out your car since you known it's record since day 1 but halogens are a no-no... unless you retrofit with some depo angel eyes
      10-09-2017, 02:49 AM   #39
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would tell you to buy out your car since you known it's record since day 1 but halogens are a no-no... unless you retrofit with some depo angel eyes
oh they're not halogens, 4 series come standard with xenons, so they look just like yours actually but on a 4 series. I also coded off the amber corner lights to mimic the LED look, they blink during turn signaling only. the history part is nice, and it and low mileage made me think i'd consider it if a dealer worked with me.. but i also might wanna shake it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #40
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
oh they're not halogens, 4 series come standard with xenons, so they look just like yours actually but on a 4 series. I also coded off the amber corner lights to mimic the LED look, they blink during turn signaling only. the history part is nice, and it and low mileage made me think i'd consider it if a dealer worked with me.. but i also might wanna shake it up.
Oh! I didn't know 4s had xenons regardless of having lighting package or not. If that's the case I'd say try to keep the 4 if you do like the car the way it is.
      10-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #41
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Give up your Model 3 reservation. I'll move one number up, then.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #42
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
Lol one of the best responses yet. So I imagine you’re a current BMW owner so what is drawing you to the Model 3? What do you expect of the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 04:50 PM   #43
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
There you go, then you'll get it March 8, 2022 instead of March 9, 2022.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #44
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
Quote:
There you go, then you'll get it March 8, 2022 instead of March 9, 2022.
I wish that were true... but I'm sure it didn't even move up a day. :