F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Front seat rust repair
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #1
ruler06
New Member
1
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 320d F30
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Post Front seat rust repair

Hello all!

I just got a second hand BMW 320d MY12 recently. The car had the rust issue in both the driver and passenger seats.
I am taking it into a BMW dealer next week. The car still has the manufacturer warranty, but BMW is being very tight lipped about whether they will fix the rusty seats under the warranty. They say they can't tell me for sure until they inspected it.

I know this is a common problem, so I just wanted to see if anyone else ran into problems with getting BMW to fix the rusty seats? I really want this to go smoothly
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
knightsabers
Major
knightsabers's Avatar
Australia
431
Rep
1,374
Posts

Drives: Audi R8 v10 Spyder
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler06 View Post
Hello all!

I just got a second hand BMW 320d MY12 recently. The car had the rust issue in both the driver and passenger seats.
I am taking it into a BMW dealer next week. The car still has the manufacturer warranty, but BMW is being very tight lipped about whether they will fix the rusty seats under the warranty. They say they can't tell me for sure until they inspected it.

I know this is a common problem, so I just wanted to see if anyone else ran into problems with getting BMW to fix the rusty seats? I really want this to go smoothly
I mentioned the rust issue in my first service but they didn't do anything. The BMW Advisor said they attempted to fix it but was unable to remove it and quoted it's only surface rust not structural
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
ruler06
New Member
1
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 320d F30
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post
I mentioned the rust issue in my first service but they didn't do anything. The BMW Advisor said they attempted to fix it but was unable to remove it and quoted it's only surface rust not structural
That is really poor. When about was this? I've been digging around the forums and everyone seems to be getting different experiences from their dealers.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
knightsabers
Major
knightsabers's Avatar
Australia
431
Rep
1,374
Posts

Drives: Audi R8 v10 Spyder
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler06
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post
I mentioned the rust issue in my first service but they didn't do anything. The BMW Advisor said they attempted to fix it but was unable to remove it and quoted it's only surface rust not structural
That is really poor. When about was this? I've been digging around the forums and everyone seems to be getting different experiences from their dealers.
I mentioned it to the dealer in October 2013 during the first service at BMW Sydney Rush cutters Bay. Couldn't be bothered asking for the impossible, I'll probably replace the seats in the future.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
jctg
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Personally I would not get it fixed.

My understanding is that the rust is on the surface and not structural - no different to the surface rust on wheel hubs, except that rust underneath the seats you can't see everyday unless you get down there and look for it.

Then there is the thing about getting dealer to fix it. If they agree, they would have to remove the seats from the car, do whatever they have to do, and put the seats back. I wouldn't trust my dealer not to scratch my car with the bulk of the seats during the process. But that could be just me.
__________________
Current: 2012 July Build 328i Sport Line, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dakota Coral Red Leather, Bi-Xenons, Sunroof, Reversing Camera, Heated Front Seat, Variable Sport Steering, Bilstein B14
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
ruler06
New Member
1
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 320d F30
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
Personally I would not get it fixed.
I wouldn't trust my dealer not to scratch my car with the bulk of the seats during the process. But that could be just me.
Yeah, I am worried about scratches too. But there are images where I saw rust being visible from the passenger cabin. Somehow the seatbelt buckle starts to rust too. I really don't want to take any chances, I will see what BMW says when I take it in
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #7
bcoz
spectator
bcoz's Avatar
Australia
62
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 330d Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

If you haven't already done so, check out the original rust thread...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726583
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
ruler06
New Member
1
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 320d F30
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Cool

Just a quick update for everyone who suffers this issue! I sent my car into North Shore BMW on Thursday to get my rust checked. They called me later in the afternoon, saying the repair will take 2 days because they needed chemicals posted from Melbourne to treat the chair.

Picked up my car today, the report said they replaced the seat shell. Rust is gone and I could not be happier. They also removed the water drainage grommet, which was a recall or some sort that I was not aware of.

I found a thread on the recall here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941823

All in all, very happy with BMW Northshore. Not a single cent paid. My first BMW and I am already loving it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
HecticX5
FULLY!
Australia
10
Rep
334
Posts

Drives: CLA 45 AMG
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler06 View Post
Just a quick update for everyone who suffers this issue! I sent my car into North Shore BMW on Thursday to get my rust checked. They called me later in the afternoon, saying the repair will take 2 days because they needed chemicals posted from Melbourne to treat the chair.

Picked up my car today, the report said they replaced the seat shell. Rust is gone and I could not be happier. They also removed the water drainage grommet, which was a recall or some sort that I was not aware of.

I found a thread on the recall here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941823

All in all, very happy with BMW Northshore. Not a single cent paid. My first BMW and I am already loving it.
Good to hear, did Ara Ekmejian look after you?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
ruler06
New Member
1
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 320d F30
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecticX5 View Post
Good to hear, did Ara Ekmejian look after you?
Nope nope, a lady called Leona. Although someone else gave me the run down when I went to pick up my car. Friendly bunch
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
front, repair, rust, seat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST