F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > I screwed up. Piston dust boot seal ripped. Please help!
ARMA SPEED

05-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
335ioncrack
Rep
Drives: 335i

I screwed up. Piston dust boot seal ripped. Please help!

Hey everyone

I have a 2015 335i with 54k miles. My front brake pads and rotors were due. I decided to do them myself since there are many videos on YouTube. I thought While I will be there half way, might as well paint the calipers red. While cleaning the calipers to paint, I accidentally ripped the rubber dust boot seal on the caliper piston. The dust boot is there to prevent dust and water and other particles to get in to the piston. Otherwise, the piston could rust and cease and cause more damage to the whole brake system.
I searched online and from my understanding, boot seal on the piston can be replaced and should be replaced if it’s damaged. I don’t want to take this job to my self since I already done enough damage. I called around at least 8 shops in NYC, all recommended changing the whole caliper.
Now I either get a new caliper and get it installed or get the boot replaced. I even ordered new genuine BMW boot seals specifically for my car from FCP euro but no shop is willing to install it for me.
What do you guys recommend? New caliper or replace boot seal?
Is there any shop in NYC that can take this job? Any Car enthusiast out there that can help me install it? Willing to pay. Getting a new caliper is too expensive but if that’s the only option then I will let it go for few more months and get it replaced later when I have enough money. Or is this very serious and needs to be replaced right away?
Any recommendations or suggestions is appreciated.
Thanks for your help in advance.
🙏
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
It's best to replace the boot. Look at it this way - the boot kit is cheap, the caliper/installation can be pricey. If you can replace the boot yourself, great. If the replacement does not go well, you still have the option of caliper replacement.

There may be some caliper rebuild videos online, watching somebody else put boots on calipers may be helpful. Youtube is your friend.
      05-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
335ioncrack
Rep

Thanks for your suggestion. I already got the boot kit. I do want to save some money by just replacing the dust boot. I don’t want to do it myself. If I can’t replace the boot and have the whole caliper apart, then I’m stuck with a job half done in my parents driveway. Any shop in the NYC 5 boroughs you can suggest?
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
viper7180
Rep
Drives: '06 IB M3

No shop is going to want to take on replacing a dust boot. There's more labor and liability if something is installed correctly when they replace just a boot. Faster and more reliable repair in their eyes.

Check out this series by Keis Motorsports. Should give you an idea for what you need to do.

Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      06-04-2021, 07:55 PM   #5
335ioncrack
Rep

Hey thanks for the your reply.
I have watched this video and thought of doing it myself. But I don’t have a air compressor. I don’t even have half of the tools that Brian have. I’ve never worked on a car before. Now that I have damaged my dust boot, my confidence level is really low to to take the caliper apart.
As I mentioned above, if I don’t get it fixed while I have the car parked in my parents driveway, then I’m stuck with the only car I have in a driveway that I can’t even take to workshop. Now I need a tow truck and spend even more. I hope this makes sense why I don’t want to do it myself. Anyway, Thanks for your suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #6
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ioncrack View Post
Hey thanks for the your reply.
I have watched this video and thought of doing it myself. But I don’t have a air compressor. I don’t even have half of the tools that Brian have. I’ve never worked on a car before. Now that I have damaged my dust boot, my confidence level is really low to to take the caliper apart.
As I mentioned above, if I don’t get it fixed while I have the car parked in my parents driveway, then I’m stuck with the only car I have in a driveway that I can’t even take to workshop. Now I need a tow truck and spend even more. I hope this makes sense why I don’t want to do it myself. Anyway, Thanks for your suggestion.
Don't take the caliper apart just replace that one dust seal all you need to do it take off the wheel take off the caliper and pick out the dust seal and push the new one back on easy as can be don't have to take it completely apart to put back on the dust seal.
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      06-04-2021, 11:16 PM   #7
335ioncrack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Don't take the caliper apart just replace that one dust seal all you need to do it take off the wheel take off the caliper and pick out the dust seal and push the new one back on easy as can be don't have to take it completely apart to put back on the dust seal.
If it’s that simple why won’t any shop do it.
I’m not challenging your comment, I’m just trying to understand why are they so scared to do it? Also, someone commented that the labor is too much along with liability. Sorry for my naive/rookie questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #8
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Quote:
I’m not challenging your comment, I’m just trying to understand why are they so scared to do it? Also, someone commented that the labor is too much along with liability. Sorry for my naive/rookie questions.
That's exactly it it's to little work for all the risk they are now taking off the pads and wheel so they are making charging 200 bucks but what are they making and having to ensure everything is put back together properly. It's the same reason when you have brakes powder coated you have to take apart yourself or they charge and extra amount
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #9
335ioncrack
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly it it's to little work for all the risk they are now taking off the pads and wheel so they are making charging 200 bucks but what are they making and having to ensure everything is put back together properly. It's the same reason when you have brakes powder coated you have to take apart yourself or they charge and extra amount
Thanks for the info.
Also, Can you take care of this for me? I can drive to you. Willing to pay.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:54 PM   #10
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Buy a compressor form harborfreight for $100 and return it when you are done. You only need the piston to come out about a half inch. The you can remove the old boot and press on the new without a full disassembly.

The inner diameter of the boot fits in the ridge on the upper portion of the caliper piston. The outer diameter of the boot is just press fit into the caliper surrounding the piston cavity. It's dead simple.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 12:19 AM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Don't freak out. A dust cap is very simple to do. You can easily do it yourself.

Underneath the dust cap is the actual piston with a piston seal wrapped around it. It's this piston seal that is more difficult and requires an air compressor to get the piston out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 10:46 PM   #12
335ioncrack
Rep

Thank you logicoeur and Johnung for the info. I will try doing it myself when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0