F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Service Don’t Wash My Car!
Studio RSR

07-23-2021, 05:28 AM   #1
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Angry BMW Service Don’t Wash My Car!

Ok team, views, thoughts, opinions and what to do.

Car booked in for service with specific instructions to not wash car, as 1, this is my car not a lease, it’s my property and I care for my cars paintwork myself, 2 car has had 20hrs of paint correction done with sealants put onto the paint work which are topped up by myself as and when needed, plus I only use PH neutral products to ensure the coating remain intact etc.

So, Car has not only been washed by the dealer but they use a fkn car wash they have on site, you know, the one with the big scratchy brushes that spin around! Hence the reason I stated DO NOT WASH. The ‘DO NOT WASH’ is noted the booking system and written on the job card!
No doubt the car will be covered in micro scratches due to this.
I’m fkn annoyed obviously, total disrespect for my wishes and property.

So, what would you do? How would you progress?

Car is at a UK dealership not collected yet but due to go today.
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2021, 06:26 AM   #2
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

They messed up but your car didn't break or get damaged. What do you want them to do?

| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:29 AM   #3
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
They messed up but your car didn't break or get damaged. What do you want them to do?

You missed the bit where they put the car through a car wash with brushes which scratch your paint work?? That's the bit where they caused the damage. The paint had been corrected at my expense and is/was like glass. The colour is sapphire black metallic. Which is a very very fussy colour and shows scratches swirls very easily, hence having it corrected.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:45 AM   #4
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I hate when they do that too, so far my dealership has been good about not washing it. Bring it up with a supervisor, you might be able to score some freebies
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:51 AM   #5
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Did you see the car get washed? I don't understand since you haven't collected it to inspect it. Or are you assuming they will ignore the note?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #6
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimR View Post
Did you see the car get washed? I don't understand since you haven't collected it to inspect it. Or are you assuming they will ignore the note?
They sent through a courtesy video of the car with the service appraisal . It had Clearly been cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:23 AM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

How do you know they put it through a car wash with brushes. I haven't seen one of those for 30 years where I live.

Hand washing and drying your car adds swirls. It's just a car my friend....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #8
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
How do you know they put it through a car wash with brushes. I haven't seen one of those for 30 years where I live.

Hand washing and drying your car adds swirls. It's just a car my friend....
I know right. Hence why I stated do not clean my car. I've seen brand new BMWs being put through it. It's barbaric really is. And this is a brand new dealership as well.

Regarding swirls, not the way I wash it and to be fair if done properly you should never damage the paint by cleaning it. Imagine spending 20+ hours correcting paint work, by hand for some muppet to but your pride and joy through a car wash. Gutted and angry
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #9
kickthecan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46

Why are people even trying to put a counter argument against You?

OP stated multiple times verbally and written down to not wash car

Dealership proceeds to wash car

How hard is it to be like wow, they messed up vs WeLl ItS JuSt a CaR

That's not the point. Point is OP put time and money into making sure the car's paint is good

Don't pretend whether or not the dealer has the automated machine. I guarantee you they don't give a damn even if they hand wash and dry. 2 bucket system? Changing towels? Yeah they don't do that. Car will scratch no matter how they wash it. The dealer in Irvine California has an automated wash confirmed through my dashcam
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #10
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickthecan View Post
Why are people even trying to put a counter argument against You?

OP stated multiple times verbally and written down to not wash car

Dealership proceeds to wash car

How hard is it to be like wow, they messed up vs WeLl ItS JuSt a CaR

That's not the point. Point is OP put time and money into making sure the car's paint is good

Don't pretend whether or not the dealer has the automated machine. I guarantee you they don't give a damn even if they hand wash and dry. 2 bucket system? Changing towels? Yeah they don't do that. Car will scratch no matter how they wash it. The dealer in Irvine California has an automated wash confirmed through my dashcam
That’s just people mate, you know how they are.

I also have the BMW ACE camera system which will be getting checked. I’m here now at the dealership, they have confined that they do have a car wash with brushes and that they messed up. Blamed the guy who booked it in stating he wrote it in the card but didn’t put it on the system. Which is BS as when I called via phone the lady told me it was on the system. She was lovely to be fair. I told her not to say anything to anyone at the dealership as I did t want to give them The heads up. But they already knew before I got there.

Just checked the car over as I brought one of my hand held LED lights and it is indeed microswirled to death. They didn’t even jetwash the dirt off before putting it through the sandpaper car wash. So just dragged all the dirt all over the car. Gutted annoyed and peed off. And breathe 🧘
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #11
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

i always tell my SA to put a big sticker on the car that says "do not wash". He said it's pretty common for people to ask that.
Sorry your idiots didn't... I'd be pissed too if it messed up the finish and go after them for the money you spent.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #12
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

I got BMW to pay for my detailer to machine polish & re-treat the car, as he'd only finished the last session a few days before it had gone to the dealer.

I didn't demand anything, I just pointed out that the job sheet said 'DO NOT WASH', and the A4 sheet I'd placed on the driver's & passenger seat said 'DO NOT WASH' in about 200pt text.

Got them to accept the report from the detailer (at my cost) with photos & evidence of the work done the week before.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:33 AM   #13
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I wouldn't get too excited until you've had a chance to inspect your car. It might not be as bad as you think and any marks will be minimal. A one time trip through the tunnel-of-swirls may not inflict much damage. It's multiple trips you have to worry about.

IF there is some damage, I would NOT let them detail your car again. I'd point out the fact they didn't follow your request or their own documents and see if they will pay for your car to be detailed again by your detailer. You might get lucky.

Going forward I'd make up a sign you can hang from your rear view mirror with "DO NOT WASH!" in big letters printed on both sides. Hopefully between that and the service order they might get the hint.

All of the dealerships around my area also have those horrible brush washers, but they've honored my request not to wash. I do all my detail work and I don't want some machine or a porter with a dirty wash mitt and drying towel to undo my work.
      07-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #14
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

It should be pretty clear cut that if they stated they have indeed washed the car and you had indeed stated that you didnt want it washed then i feel its up to them to correct it, But.... I would be careful how you aprochate it, always be nice at first, see what they will do, going in guns blazing doesnt normaly help you at first. I have a feeling that you might stuggle unless you have proof that the car was spotless paint condition wise prior. If you have high quailty recent photos showing the paint condition then that will help.

Its s crap place to be, our local branch will not wash the car if asked but i always make sure its written down when dropping off the car regardless of what the online system says, so then the service advicer your dealing with cant deny knowlage.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #15
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Going forward I'd make up a sign you can hang from your rear view mirror with "DO NOT WASH!" in big letters printed on both sides. Hopefully between that and the service order they might get the hint.
This. Although not as fancy as a hangup sign, I print out a large DO NOT WASH paper and tape it to cover the iDrive screen or the center A/C vents. My SA knows I'm pretty picky on who washes my car and makes sure the paperwork is correct, but you never know which new hire porter is taking your car.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Warning SIgns.pdf (41.6 KB, 38 views)
      07-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #16
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
That's why I have one of these hanging on my rear view when I bring my car in for service:

https://www.carboncollective.com/pro...wash-pvc-hook/
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #17
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
This. Although not as fancy as a hangup sign, I print out a large DO NOT WASH paper and tape it to cover the iDrive screen or the center A/C vents. My SA knows I'm pretty picky on who washes my car and makes sure the paperwork is correct, but you never know which new hire porter is taking your car.
Great idea, I’d be tempted to add ‘numpty’ to the end of that sign, for effect 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #18
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
That's why I have one of these hanging on my rear view when I bring my car in for service:

https://www.carboncollective.com/pro...wash-pvc-hook/
To be fair it was written on the job card and on the system. Doubt they'd even see the sign 😂
To be fair it's a bloody good idea mate
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:42 PM   #19
skyline848
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d F32

Normally every friendly dealer washes your car, its a standard at BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #20
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline848 View Post
Not with a bog brush though 😉
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #21
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Not with a bog brush though 😉
Funny you say this...

I lived in the UK for a few years back in the early 2000's and had an E46 at the time.

One day after having the car serviced, the dealership parked my car at the far end of the parking lot where I could see into the back of the repair bays and their "detail department" when I got in to drive home

They had a bucket with some really dark brown sudsy water and a nasty old brush which might have been a small broom partially stuck in the top. Several drying towels were neatly spread out ON THE GROUND around it to dry.

Not quite a bog brush, but not far off.
      07-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #22
kickthecan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline848 View Post
Everyone knows it's standard. The point is that he said he didn't want a wash...
Appreciate 0