F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New 2016 340I owner ride quality question
proTUNING Freaks

07-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #1
Loki58
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340I

New 2016 340I owner ride quality question

Hi, all new forum participant here. Just picked up a 2016 A89 Imperial Blue Metallic 340I rear wheel drive w/Driving Assistance Package & Technology Package. I upgraded to Apple CarPlay using a Bimmertech Carplay MMI Prime box and had no problem doing the work myself (YouTube vids were great). I feel like I wish I had the Track Handling Package on this car. It has new run flat Pirelli CINTURATO P7 225/45/R18 which are slightly harsh on the road (feel every bump) but expected run flats to be a little rough. I just feel the handling and steering feel could be better. Have any of you invested in the Track Handling package that BMW has as an option and if so is it better? Also if I wanted to upgrade/modify what would be recommended? What is in the track handling package and should I/can I try to get that setup or are other options better? Also cost please, so I can get an idea of how much to budget. Thanks for any input in advance...happy to be part of the community!
P.S sent pic of new ride but cant get it to show correctly (need to rotate it but cant find how).
Attached Images

Last edited by Loki58; 07-19-2021 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

I have the track handling package, it helps with the numb steering feel but I still had to get dinan springs/bump stops and their shockware suspension tune to get it closer to the drive I expected when purchasing a bmw. Still not as tight as my s4 was but it is what it is.

As far as retrofitting it it would cost you a tremendous amount of money and a lot of coding would need to be done.
The THP has adaptive suspension, adaptive steering, m sport brake calipers and rotors, and additional oil coolers. I couldn't even begin to guesstimate what it would cost but just to give you a few figures: each ESC front shock is $815 reach rear shock is $400. Plus you would need to be and run the entire wiring harness.
Brake calipers Are available on the forum from time to time so you could probably find those new. The oil coolers aren't cheap either and would require additional hoses. As for the steering, I'm not sure if the THP uses a different rack or if it's just electronically controlled but if it is a different rack that's about $2500.
So to answer your question, yea it is hypothetically possible to add it but it would be a gigantic waste of money. Ditch the run flats, get some adjustable coil overs and call it a day. You could probably get good
Michelin's and decent coil overs for about $3k plus installation.

EDIT: just looked it and for VSS you'd need a new steering rack at the very least.
cfm56d7b5877.50
vtown99.00
      07-19-2021, 07:27 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Congrats and welcome!

As njdangelo mentioned earlier, retrofitting THP isn't a cost effective decision.

My suggestion would be to explore Ohlins R&T coilovers (perhaps the best coilovers) and then evaluate less expensive options.

My current vehicle has M Adaptive suspension. I like it but it's not a golden standard of suspension dynamics. In Sport mode, the suspension doesn't exhibit a very responsive compression and as a result tends to bounce more than one wants.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 02:39 AM   #4
ashkanvafaee2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

If you're looking for better ride quality, less road noise, and more steering responsiveness you should probably start by replacing your run flats with MPS 4S.

You might achieve your desired drive quality just by doing that lol.
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      07-20-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
Loki58
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input...I figured it wasn't going to be cost effective. I will look into the coilovers and think the Michelins are a great idea...what do you guys do without the run flats, use a re-inflate kit like Slime Smart Spare as a spare alternative?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
apascutia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkanvafaee2 View Post
If you're looking for better ride quality, less road noise, and more steering responsiveness you should probably start by replacing your run flats with MPS 4S.

You might achieve your desired drive quality just by doing that lol.
This^^. Most efficient way to improve ride quality and dynamics. Run flats truly ruin ride quality, steering response, and overall feel. It's always shocking to me how much of a difference good tires make. Especially in this case where you go from RFTs to MPS 4s tires. Even going to the Michelin all season 3s/4s would make a nice difference!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
My current vehicle has M Adaptive suspension. I like it but it's not a golden standard of suspension dynamics. In Sport mode, the suspension doesn't exhibit a very responsive compression and as a result tends to bounce more than one wants.
Agree on the M Adaptive in stock form. Fortunately, by doing the Dinan Shockware mod, it eliminates most, if not all, of the bounce/float and gives the car the body control it should have stock from the factory.
sygazelle11345.50
      07-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #8
ashkanvafaee2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki58 View Post
Thanks for the input...I figured it wasn't going to be cost effective. I will look into the coilovers and think the Michelins are a great idea...what do you guys do without the run flats, use a re-inflate kit like Slime Smart Spare as a spare alternative?
A lot of insurance companies have roadside assistance so towing costs can be reduced/eliminated. Also, you can sell your Pirellis to recoup some of the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #9
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

never EVER use slime. then the tire is irreparable. I personally have a plug kit and an air pump that plugs into the dc outlets in either the inside of the car or trunk.
sygazelle11345.50
      07-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #10
Loki58
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tip about Slime won't go there after looking it up...The Pirellis are brand new I may just deal with it for the 20k or so they will get me then have something to look forward to ride wise when I upgrade to the Michelins.. Cant imagine I would get more than 100 a tire for the Pirellis even though brand new and although I complain because I know the ride can be better...its still pretty sweet lol...thanks again for all your input much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #11
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip about Slime won't go there after looking it up...The Pirellis are brand new I may just deal with it for the 20k or so they will get me then have something to look forward to ride wise when I upgrade to the Michelins.. Cant imagine I would get more than 100 a tire for the Pirellis even though brand new and although I complain because I know the ride can be better...its still pretty sweet lol...thanks again for all your input much appreciated!
I have 27k on mine. Nowhere near needing replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 06:12 AM   #12
Loki58
United_States
Rep

I'll take 30K+, getting used to the ride and the traction is actually pretty good!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 12:04 PM   #13
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

based on what you've stated your desires are, this is what i would do.

instead of coilovers, i'd upgrade springs and dampers to a M-Performance suspension OR Eibach Pro-Kit springs with Koni Yellow sport or Special Active(SA aka Red) dampers. Either will lower your car just slightly with a marked improvement in handling. The ride will be slightly firmer but compliant, reasonable and more buttoned down like older gen BMW's used to be.

to improve steering feel, i recommend swapping the UCA(upper control arm) aka tension or thrust arms to with a VAC monoball bushing. If your budget allows, you can do VAC LCA's as well.

search and read up on posts by johnung and FaRKle!. they have extensive knowledge in this area as well as the rest of the vehicle. johnung(also in NJ) and FaRKle! have both been influential members here and FaRKle! has many youtube videos.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/, also located in NJ, for parts and installation services. johnung hooked me up with Bryan@KiesMotorsports(owner) for my VAC UCA.
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      07-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #14
Loki58
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tip on who to look up and KiesMotorsports I will look into both. I tried to find an M Performance Suspension Kit for my 2016 340I F30 and they say they don't fit my car (BMW site and Bimmerworld). Is that true or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Last edited by Loki58; 07-22-2021 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #15
Loki58
United_States
Rep

Actually found it now on EuroActive site, kit is 1699.00 without the springs.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #16
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Hi, all new forum participant here. Just picked up a 2016 A89 Imperial Blue Metallic 340I rear wheel drive w/Driving Assistance Package & Technology Package. I upgraded to Apple CarPlay using a Bimmertech Carplay MMI Prime box and had no problem doing the work myself (YouTube vids were great). I feel like I wish I had the Track Handling Package on this car. It has new run flat Pirelli CINTURATO P7 225/45/R18 which are slightly harsh on the road (feel every bump) but expected run flats to be a little rough. I just feel the handling and steering feel could be better. Have any of you invested in the Track Handling package that BMW has as an option and if so is it better? Also if I wanted to upgrade/modify what would be recommended? What is in the track handling package and should I/can I try to get that setup or are other options better? Also cost please, so I can get an idea of how much to budget. Thanks for any input in advance...happy to be part of the community!
P.S sent pic of new ride but cant get it to show correctly (need to rotate it but cant find how).
If are in NJ you gotta come to Atlantic City this Saturday for the Kies Motorsports Charity Car Show. Monster event with 500 BMWs from all over the country. It's at the Bader Field Airport. Check out this video:

After listening to your complaints I can sympathize. Those were the areas that I wanted to improve too. You received some good ideas. Below are the two that I found to have the biggest impact. They'll put a big smile on your face!

1) Swap out the runflats! Do it now! Save them for winter tires if you like. In NJ, I run winter tires from early December until late March. The best choice are summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. If you insist on all seasons then get Michelin PS A/S4 or Continental DWS06 PLUS.

Just as important is to upgrade your stock size, a trick I learned from Alohasurftoad. For example, if your stock tires are 225/45-18, then the perfect handling size is 245/40-18. Makes a huge difference.

2) Swap out the front Upper Control Arms, and Lower Control Arms too if you can afford both at the same time. BMW F3x's have terrible vague steering due to the huge fluid filled control arm bushings. They dampen vibration but they have too much play. These new control arms make steering precise and provide nice road feel to the driver's hands through the steering wheel.

For F3x RWD cars:

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22

For F3x XDrive cars:

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2021, 07:14 PM   #17
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Actually found it now on EuroActive site, kit is 1699.00 without the springs.
that price seems high without springs. that is usually the retail price of a complete kit, which includes dampers, springs, strut mount, dust caps and some replacement nuts and bolts.

if you give your vin to a parts dealer like getbmwparts they'll be able to accurately determine the part# and whether it's in stock or not. since the G-series is out, you may often find F-series kits on sale. they probably don't bring this kit in, so as time goes by it will be more difficult to obtain.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 07-22-2021 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #18
Loki58
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
If are in NJ you gotta come to Atlantic City this Saturday for the Kies Motorsports Charity Car Show. Monster event with 500 BMWs from all over the country. It's at the Bader Field Airport. Check out this video:

After listening to your complaints I can sympathize. Those were the areas that I wanted to improve too. You received some good ideas. Below are the two that I found to have the biggest impact. They'll put a big smile on your face!

1) Swap out the runflats! Do it now! Save them for winter tires if you like. In NJ, I run winter tires from early December until late March. The best choice are summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. If you insist on all seasons then get Michelin PS A/S4 or Continental DWS06 PLUS.

Just as important is to upgrade your stock size, a trick I learned from Alohasurftoad. For example, if your stock tires are 225/45-18, then the perfect handling size is 245/40-18. Makes a huge difference.

2) Swap out the front Upper Control Arms, and Lower Control Arms too if you can afford both at the same time. BMW F3x's have terrible vague steering due to the huge fluid filled control arm bushings. They dampen vibration but they have too much play. These new control arms make steering precise and provide nice road feel to the driver's hands through the steering wheel.

For F3x RWD cars:

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...b&_ss=r?aff=22

For F3x XDrive cars:

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...b&_ss=r?aff=22

Hope this helps!
Love the advice thanks very much....the control arms on your site are they better than getting M control arms from BMW I saw those advertised around 420 bucks for fronts and rears (separately) ... whats the difference if you don't mind me asking? I love the tire idea I would probably want to invest in another set of rims for summer/winter to make swapping easier and more cost efficient in the long run is that a good idea as well and if so should I stay with the 18" rims? Love the tire size trick and will be doing that...so thanks to you and Alohasurftoad for the trick. Really appreciate the input....if I didn't have business on Saturday I would go to AC for the rally, it looks like a great time will be had and its for a great cause.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

For F3x RWD cars:

For F3x XDrive cars:

Hope this helps!
Love the advice thanks very much....the control arms on your site are they better than getting M control arms from BMW I saw those advertised around 420 bucks for fronts and rears (separately) ... whats the difference if you don't mind me asking? I love the tire idea I would probably want to invest in another set of rims for summer/winter to make swapping easier and more cost efficient in the long run is that a good idea as well and if so should I stay with the 18" rims? Love the tire size trick and will be doing that...so thanks to you and Alohasurftoad for the trick. Really appreciate the input....if I didn't have business on Saturday I would go to AC for the rally, it looks like a great time will be had and its for a great cause.
M3 arms are different lengths so they change an F3x suspension geometry and move the wheel position in the wheel well. If they are installed on an XDrive car, they immediately snap front axles.

The F3x VAC monoballs from Kies Motorsports are installed into actual brand new stock control arms so suspension geometry and alignment all remain perfectly stock. And that's why there is an XDrive version that works great.

Guys who track originally wanted the M3 arms to obtain a camber change but there are several camber plates that accomplish that. Below is a great FaRKle! Video

Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      07-23-2021, 08:55 PM   #20
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Agree on the M Adaptive in stock form. Fortunately, by doing the Dinan Shockware mod, it eliminates most, if not all, of the bounce/float and gives the car the body control it should have stock from the factory.
^^^This

I hated the bounciness of my m-sport DHP with adaptive suspension. Then, on advice from this forum, I got Dinan Shockware software. It transformed the car. That mod plus the shift to go flat tires made all the difference in the world. I'm 8 years in now and have no intentions of getting rid of my 328i. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 01:21 AM   #21
Jeffmiller32
Rep
Drives: 335i

BC coilovers. Cost $1000 easy install and use 30 way dampening. I would ditch those tires too. Some nice summer tires will help out with the feel. I’ve always been partial to Nitto since they are pretty affordable.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #22
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
I have the track handling package, it helps with the numb steering feel but I still had to get dinan springs/bump stops and their shockware suspension tune to get it closer to the drive I expected when purchasing a bmw. Still not as tight as my s4 was but it is what it is.

As far as retrofitting it it would cost you a tremendous amount of money and a lot of coding would need to be done.
The THP has adaptive suspension, adaptive steering, m sport brake calipers and rotors, and additional oil coolers. I couldn't even begin to guesstimate what it would cost but just to give you a few figures: each ESC front shock is $815 reach rear shock is $400. Plus you would need to be and run the entire wiring harness.
Brake calipers Are available on the forum from time to time so you could probably find those new. The oil coolers aren't cheap either and would require additional hoses. As for the steering, I'm not sure if the THP uses a different rack or if it's just electronically controlled but if it is a different rack that's about $2500.
So to answer your question, yea it is hypothetically possible to add it but it would be a gigantic waste of money. Ditch the run flats, get some adjustable coil overs and call it a day. You could probably get good
Michelin's and decent coil overs for about $3k plus installation.

EDIT: just looked it and for VSS you'd need a new steering rack at the very least.
Agreed. Most of this retrofit is simply not feasible due to costs. Your quoted costs are a bit high because you've quoted Genuine BMW parts, but still...it's expensive and a lot of work. It'd be way cheaper to eat a small loss on the car and buy one that has everything they want.

OP this is a lesson anyone who starts getting into cars learns. You need to buy the car that has basically everything you want because certain things are just not feasible to change unless you're actually looking for the project. If track handling was important to you, you should've gotten a car with the package.

There are certain things that you can reasonably retrofit yourself. There are certain features that are so rare you really can't wait around for (LSD for example) so that's OK to retrofit later. But you never want to find yourself trying to retrofit an entire options package on a modern car. They're far too integrated nowadays.