F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20/N26 Turbo Inlet heads up
Extreme Powerhouse

06-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
Mposta
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

N20/N26 Turbo Inlet heads up

Little back story; I had recently upgraded to the GFB DV and during the install had accidentally cracked my PCV hose and the connection point on the turbo inlet. I was able to mend the PCV hose and connection on the inlet for temp usage and immediately ordered a replacement from the local dealer. Fast forward a couple of days and the new PCV arrives so I install. After installation, I take for test spin and can immediately tell I'm losing boost somewhere. My first instinct is it's leaking at the connection point where the PCV hose attaches since that area was already a known weak point. So I decided it's the perfect time for an MST inlet. Fast forward a couple of days and the part arrives (meanwhile I have been continuing to commute to work). During the install of the inlet, I go to remove the 10mm nut holding the inlet and realize the bracket that is supposed to hold the inlet on is broken, and the inlet itself is popped off and hanging there Luckily the broken plastic and associated metal washer were directly below. It seems as if many of the plastic parts have become extremely brittle and during the dv or pcv install I may have placed too much pressure on the inlet and broke the bracket (although I was pretty ginger with everything) anyway I am cognizant that many are well aware of this limitation but wanted to throw this PSA of my strife out there for educational purposes in hopes I save someone else the headache I went through... Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
GTA_G20
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
1997 Boxster  [0.00]
2006 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mposta View Post
Little back story; I had recently upgraded to the GFB DV and during the install had accidentally cracked my PCV hose and the connection point on the turbo inlet. I was able to mend the PCV hose and connection on the inlet for temp usage and immediately ordered a replacement from the local dealer. Fast forward a couple of days and the new PCV arrives so I install. After installation, I take for test spin and can immediately tell I'm losing boost somewhere. My first instinct is it's leaking at the connection point where the PCV hose attaches since that area was already a known weak point. So I decided it's the perfect time for an MST inlet. Fast forward a couple of days and the part arrives (meanwhile I have been continuing to commute to work). During the install of the inlet, I go to remove the 10mm nut holding the inlet and realize the bracket that is supposed to hold the inlet on is broken, and the inlet itself is popped off and hanging there Luckily the broken plastic and associated metal washer were directly below. It seems as if many of the plastic parts have become extremely brittle and during the dv or pcv install I may have placed too much pressure on the inlet and broke the bracket (although I was pretty ginger with everything) anyway I am cognizant that many are well aware of this limitation but wanted to throw this PSA of my strife out there for educational purposes in hopes I save someone else the headache I went through... Cheers.
My intake boot also cracked at the pcv connection
Attached Images

09-16-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Same. The hose crumbled as well. I went with FTP inlet + PCV hose for ~15 shipped from rock auto.
      09-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #4
XAoPiLLz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i N26

i replaced mine with the MST version a while back..no complaints yet

16 Mineral Grey F30: Injen CAI | ER CP/TiC/Catless DP | VSRF 7" Intercooler | NGK LI Plugs | BM3 running PTF stage 2 93 AGG Tune | BMS Methanol Kit | GFB DV+ | AWE Quad Exhaust Suite | Dinan Sport Springs | 19" MRR GF9 with 225 front and 255 rear | M4 CF Spoiler | VividScreen 8.8"
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
cedaj
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAoPiLLz View Post
i replaced mine with the MST version a while back..no complaints yet
Have you had any flutter at like 3k rpm and low speed?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
dís_f30
G
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30 Luxury Line

Garage List
If you haven't done so, upgrade the boost and charge pipes too. The stock parts tend to fall apart as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
Jonwho2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dís_f30 View Post
If you haven't done so, upgrade the boost and charge pipes too. The stock parts tend to fall apart as well.
If I recall correctly n20 charge pipes don't tend to fail even under a tune. That was the n54. And boost pipes on booth platforms are reliable. Theres also no gains in performance changing either.
I did change main cause I thought it was a weak point, But it was actually unnecessary imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwho2 View Post
If I recall correctly n20 charge pipes don't tend to fail even under a tune. That was the n54. And boost pipes on booth platforms are reliable. Theres also no gains in performance changing either.
I did change main cause I thought it was a weak point, But it was actually unnecessary imo.
still did mine, wish I knew at the time at least it looks cool in the engine bay
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #9
StealthF32
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 xDrive M-Sport

... appreciate the all around discussion & general feedback taking place

*the consensus I came too, nothing wrong with taking precautionary measures, so I changed CP, Boost/TurboPipe & Inlet Pipe - - for peace of mind (plastic vs metal)!!
Appreciate 0