F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Moving overseas for work
Studio RSR

06-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #1
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Moving overseas for work

Has anyone gone abroad for work? I've been made an offer in the ME and have to decide pretty soon whether I should up sticks for a few years.

How did you cope with the change, any tips for someone who has lived in London all their life?
      06-19-2021, 11:53 PM   #2
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

We thought about it a few years ago before our daughter was born. The money offered was cazy, and if your young, single, focused on getting ££££ its a no brainer. I know plenty of people who have done it.

With a young family I wouldn't waste time even thinking about it now even if the offer was x10 my current salary.
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 01:23 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Do it, it would be a regret for come time if you didn't.

Most people I know who have done a 1,2,3 year placement….loved it so much they have not returned and are nationalised. This was the US and Aus though, ME might be different for you

Absolutely do it.
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 02:26 AM   #4
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

We considered it. Well, I did, but Mrs Tengocity wasn't keen at all. I was looking at Basel, and Hong Kong though.

My old neighbour went to Bahrain 5 years ago, and is still in the Middle East, albeit now UAE.
They really enjoy it, but said it takes a little adjusting. Firstly the intensity of the heat for many many months. The other thing was living in that ex-pat bubble, rather than a normally integrated society. Some folk love it, others hate it.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 02:40 AM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I'd say to go for it.

Even if you decide it's not for you, you'll have tried it and found out.
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 03:03 AM   #6
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
friend of mine who finished post grad the same year as me currently earns 4 times what I do, gets 6 weeks paid holiday, business class flights paid for travel,house with a chauffeur etc again paid for.
He is culturally more aligned to the middle east which is a bonus for him.
If I moved and didn't like it it would be difficult to get back into my line of work in the UK due to the regulatory issues that alone would put me off. If no such issues in your line of work then why not give it a shot if the money is good.
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 03:26 AM   #7
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Yes, and can highly recommend it.
Lived and worked in France, the Netherlands and Australia, plus some fairly long stints in Southern Africa (on my own). France and the Netherlands pre-kids, Australia with kids. Never the ME though so can't advise on what would doubtless be a very different experience to the countries Ive lived in.
If I was still working for an international business today, I'd make sure my name was at the top of the list for a move abroad.
      06-20-2021, 03:28 AM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Couple of my friends are working overseas in Dubai, one one in Dubrovnik. None showing signs of coming back.

As said, there is an ex pat way of life although that is becoming less and more integration. I probably wouldn’t go to Jeddah as I don’t like their human rights views...
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 03:50 AM   #9
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
Go for it as you will always regret no taking the opportunity. You will probably be quids up at the end of the experience either way. All the best regardless of your decision.
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 04:21 AM   #10
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

I initially thought when you mentioned ME you were referring to Maine...... a gorgeous part of the world that I would move to in an instant.

Never been to the Middle East, I couldnt put up with the heat on a daily basis but as others have intimated .... Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained.
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 04:38 AM   #11
AntF32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive - Carbon Black

We had the opportunity to immigrate to Vancouver about six years ago, however my wife had just started her Cancer treatment so we decided not to pursue it. Had things been different we would have gone in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 06:28 AM   #12
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
Has anyone gone abroad for work? I've been made an offer in the ME and have to decide pretty soon whether I should up sticks for a few years.

How did you cope with the change, any tips for someone who has lived in London all their life?
Yes lived in Singapore for 4 odd years with work and it was great. Is it just you, if not are you married? do you have kids? Are they offering a decent package?

All of which will have a factor trust me and I can go into as why in a bit
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Do consider the Middle East is very anti gay, if you happen to be so.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #14
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

I almost emigrated to Seattle, US about 15 years ago. To do this day I regret not going but in the end it was out of my hands.

My Sister moved to New Zealand about 20 years ago and never came back.

Do it, unless you do you will never know. You can always come back if you don't like it.
JustChris17485.50
RustyBitz1573.50
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #15
SuperHamz
Major
Rep

Firstly, thank you all for your experiences and feedback. It has really been helpful.

Some details and update, I have accepted the offer as financially it makes sense, it's almost 40% increase in net pay on top of the relocation package to Dubai. The long term plan was always to move into a house (we have a flat currently and don't have any financial help from family, so doing it all alone).

In terms of family situation, my marriage has been on tenterhooks for a while, we got to the lawyer stage, but never got around to pulling the trigger. We've currently decided that I'll go over initially alone and make sure I'm settled into work and also into expat life. This will probably also give us an opportunity to decide what we want in our life. We do have two young children, so I won't be staying apart from them too long, whether that involves them moving with me long term, or me moving back to the UK.

Culturally, I have no interest in the flashiness of the Middle East, weather doesn't bother me too much, most places are air conditioned.

What I'm still not convinced by is whether this is a good move. I've always been risk averse, but that's also meant that my career has become stagnent as I just don't enjoy it.

One other thing, I can't bare to sell my car, so looking at storage options, even if it's temporary while I decide if I'm coming back or not.
      06-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #16
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Some details and update, I have accepted the offer as financially it makes sense, it's almost 40% increase in net pay on top of the relocation package to Dubai. The long term plan was always to move into a house (we have a flat currently and don't have any financial help from family, so doing it all alone).

In terms of family situation, my marriage has been on tenterhooks for a while, we got to the lawyer stage, but never got around to pulling the trigger. We've currently decided that I'll go over initially alone and make sure I'm settled into work and also into expat life. This will probably also give us an opportunity to decide what we want in our life. We do have two young children, so I won't be staying apart from them too long, whether that involves them moving with me long term, or me moving back to the UK.

Culturally, I have no interest in the flashiness of the Middle East, weather doesn't bother me too much, most places are air conditioned.

What I'm still not convinced by is whether this is a good move. I've always been risk averse, but that's also meant that my career has become stagnent as I just don't enjoy it.

One other thing, I can't bare to sell my car, so looking at storage options, even if it's temporary while I decide if I'm coming back or not.
Hmm I'll be honest mate not sure emigrating in your situation is the best. It sounds like it will be you for personally but it's a big commitment and while expat life can be great shipping the family needs to be right.

If your wife comes make sure she can work or will have something to do, ladies that lunch sounds great but soon becomes tiring. plus make sure her visa allows her to work etc. You will have an instant expat circle with work colleagues she will not initially.

Again kids can have a great time and eduction in expat schools but make sure your package covers it plus car, nanny if needs be. Also investigate the schools and system.

ME can be great but places like dubai are stupid hot in the summer and a lot of expat other halves come back to the UK for the summer.

Up to you and it may be the fresh start you all need but again remember yours and hers family and friends are now in a different timezone and not available on tap in person.
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #17
SuperHamz
Major
Rep

It didn't feel right at all initially, but have discussed with the wife and I've got a month initially to do some fact finding, apartments, schooling. I need to check if wife's visa allows her to work in Dubai, but her work in the UK is pretty much remotely done, so she might be able to pursue things that way and the 3hr time advantage may work in her favour.

I'm trying to keep it positive, but I know there's no guarantees ultimately, so haven't completely upped sticks here for the time being.
      06-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It didn't feel right at all initially, but have discussed with the wife and I've got a month initially to do some fact finding, apartments, schooling. I need to check if wife's visa allows her to work in Dubai, but her work in the UK is pretty much remotely done, so she might be able to pursue things that way and the 3hr time advantage may work in her favour.

I'm trying to keep it positive, but I know there's no guarantees ultimately, so haven't completely upped sticks here for the time being.
Sounds sensible. Being dubai its very expat friendly (and tax friendly!) and is more western than other areas of the ME so that's good.

So long as you both go in knowing the realities of it all then it could be an amazing time and even if it is only for a couple of years it's a great life experience!
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #19
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Golf R 2020

A friend of mine spent 5 years in the UAE and loved it. Only came back as his parents needed support back here. He did however get a little heavy as wanting to go to the gym is last thing on your mind when is 100 in the shade outside.

Also be sensible, there are places to drink etc. But there is low tolerance on bad behaviour at not respecting the culture.
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #20
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

SuperHamz, thanks for sharing your personal story. Best wishes for success in your career and family life. Humbly speaking, your decision will cause a shift in perceptions and ask you to be more flexible and open. This alone is a foundation for positive change if one recognizes the opportunity.
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-21-2021, 04:55 AM   #21
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Only you can decide if the situation feels worthwhile. Probably best to have a good hard think about whether you'd regret doing it or, and possibly more likely, you'd regret not doing it. After all, you can always come back!

However I fully understand it's a very tough choice to make when you have kids.

I've lived and worked abroad a few times, in the US and also in Austria. I absolutely don't regret any of the opportunities and they've definitely benefitted me down the line (financially mainly). However this was all pre-kids...
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      06-22-2021, 06:17 AM   #22
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Firstly, thank you all for your experiences and feedback. It has really been helpful.

What a fantastic opportunity and life experience awaits!

Not everyone is asked or offered this so even at 'this stage in life' go with the flow somewhat and enjoy the ride!

It's going to be amazing.