F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Flashing my N20 (2017 320i) this weekend, couple questions
proTUNING Freaks

06-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 320i xDrive

Flashing my N20 (2017 320i) this weekend, couple questions

After running JB+ for a year (not bad) I decided to upgrade to the full flash treatment.

I don't have any mods and don't plan on doing any yet.

-Is the OTS 93octane map any less reliable/safe than the 91? I'd prefer a little more longevity/reliability over max power, but I definitely have high quality 93 near me (Shell V-Power Nitro is all I use)

-Do I need the transmission flash? I was reading some people say that in comfort, the transmission is still very eager to get into higher gears, and the tune can't account for this causing the car to be even MORE sluggish than stock in comfort mode (something about the extra torque?)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
MidMoF30
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i BMW

Garage List
OTS 93 Map is reliable if you have access to 93 OCT

The transmission flash is nice to have, but like you said if you're driving in Comfort w/o moving to Sport Shifting it will try to shift up and bog. I have the transmission flash and cruise in Comfort regularly in Sport Shifting, and do not have any issues. Every so often if I go down to Comfort but stay in Sport Shifting, when I turn off my car I get an alarm for Transmission Overheat once off. It never comes back on even if I restart immediately.

When I hope on the freeway I do stay in Sport Shifting until I reach cruising speed and then go back to standard from there. No issues there.

I manage the RPM's and Sport vs. Standard shifting. If you're cognizant and willing to do this there should be no issues. BTW, I don't let my wife drive my car because of this
      06-04-2021, 12:48 PM   #3
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMoF30 View Post
OTS 93 Map is reliable if you have access to 93 OCT

The transmission flash is nice to have, but like you said if you're driving in Comfort w/o moving to Sport Shifting it will try to shift up and bog. I have the transmission flash and cruise in Comfort regularly in Sport Shifting, and do not have any issues. Every so often if I go down to Comfort but stay in Sport Shifting, when I turn off my car I get an alarm for Transmission Overheat once off. It never comes back on even if I restart immediately.

When I hope on the freeway I do stay in Sport Shifting until I reach cruising speed and then go back to standard from there. No issues there.

I manage the RPM's and Sport vs. Standard shifting. If you're cognizant and willing to do this there should be no issues. BTW, I don't let my wife drive my car because of this
So with JB+, it actually made the bogging go away for the most part after the car became acclimated. I have SAT coded in, but it was more jerky than stock with JB+ so I became accustomed to using D in comfort.

Are you suggesting that the BM3 transmission tune will cause the bogging to be worse?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
MidMoF30
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGengarEX View Post
So with JB+, it actually made the bogging go away for the most part after the car became acclimated. I have SAT coded in, but it was more jerky than stock with JB+ so I became accustomed to using D in comfort.

Are you suggesting that the BM3 transmission tune will cause the bogging to be worse?
The bogging is due to the BM3 Transmission Flash being made for a 335 rather than a 328. Overall the power delivery is smooth, but in Comfort and standard shifting the transmission shifts up too quickly.
      06-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
The bogging is due to the BM3 Transmission Flash being made for a 335 rather than a 328. Overall the power delivery is smooth, but in Comfort and standard shifting the transmission shifts up too quickly.
xHP might be a better option. I might get Stage 2 since it's the middle ground between shift speed and roughness.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #6
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Quote:
After driving about 100mi this weekend, I don't think I need to do anything else, it's perfect. There was a short adjustment period where my throttle felt a little funny and there was some delay in response. After about 20 mins everything settled in an it's been awesome since. Comfort/Standard (D) is totally fine, doesn't bog at all.

I don't really drive the car very hard usually, but I did go WOT while doing about 45mph in Sport+ and holy shit, the amount of torque was honestly almost too much. Doesn't seem good for the car lol. Probably won't do that again. The sport displays read 315lbft of torque, which definitely cant be right, but uh
Appreciate 0