F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need Help: RPM Rattling Issue
GetBMWParts

11-09-2019, 01:28 AM   #1
6lack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive

Need Help: RPM Rattling Issue

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. Recently I noticed a rattling noise when my vehicle goes from 1000 RPM to 2000 RPM. It only happens the second it up shifts from that range. Something rattles for a brief second then goes away. Has anyone had this issue before? I got a 2014 F30 xDrive around 85K KM. I brought it to the dealership around February and they told me it was my exhaust flap, however now the problem is back
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
ProjektAutoScott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Could be wrong, but personally, I would check the turbocharger waste-gate linkage, it can develop some slop that will result in a slight rattle sound. Pop the hood and have someone else rev the engine and let off in comfort mode with a warm engine. Listen as the RPMs come back down, you may hear it on the passenger side of the engine bay.

This is not a big deal unless you are getting codes related to boost or waste-gate errors.

Have you eliminated the possibility of the timing chain issue(s)? plenty of info on that too, I've never experienced the issue with any of my cars, but its worth checking your build date and looking into that if you haven't. I can imagine a timing chain tensioner issue creating a slight rattle as well?

Exhaust flap on the F30 wouldn't be my first guess, as the flap motor and linkage are generally rock solid. My 2 cents
Appreciate 0