F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > ATM Module Question and Retrofit
ARMA SPEED

11-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
SirFisher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive 6MT

ATM Module Question and Retrofit

Hi, I am mostly done retrofitting an NBT EVO into my f30 which originally had a TCB unit in the trunk.

I purchased a vin assigned ATM module from a dealership and am anxious to try and get it working to test whether or not it is a viable retrofit option.

I have been working on the wiring harness but realized I do not have enough micro MQS pins for the atm module.

I know that the ATM module has a microphone input and output, but does it actually process the microphone or is it just a pass through. If it just a pass through I will just wire the ethernet and CAN and wire the microphone from the mic directly to the head unit in the trunk.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFisher View Post
Hi, I am mostly done retrofitting an NBT EVO into my f30 which originally had a TCB unit in the trunk.

I purchased a vin assigned ATM module from a dealership and am anxious to try and get it working to test whether or not it is a viable retrofit option.

I have been working on the wiring harness but realized I do not have enough micro MQS pins for the atm module.

I know that the ATM module has a microphone input and output, but does it actually process the microphone or is it just a pass through. If it just a pass through I will just wire the ethernet and CAN and wire the microphone from the mic directly to the head unit in the trunk.

Thank you!
So to be clear, the Dealership sold you an ATM coded to your VIN and changed it in the BMW Connected Drive Database even though your car only showed a CIC or NBT system compatible with a TCB, not ATM?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 01:13 AM   #3
Ddayan97
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83, Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
So to be clear, the Dealership sold you an ATM coded to your VIN and changed it in the BMW Connected Drive Database even though your car only showed a CIC or NBT system compatible with a TCB, not ATM?
I doubt that the part is “VIN assigned”, I’ve purchased one myself, though it was never coded to my VIN. As such, I receive a constant SOS error
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddayan97 View Post
Quote:
I doubt that the part is "VIN assigned", I've purchased one myself, though it was never coded to my VIN. As such, I receive a constant SOS error
It must be coded to VIN to work properly - just like your smartphone has to have the SIM and IMEI number at the provider database to operate properly.

If your VIN is not coded in the ATM, it will not operate properly with the NBT. Which is why you have an SOS error.

Other posts state specifically that the poster ordered an ATM from the Dealer to replace the their TCB and they needed their VIN for the order. Of course everyone who posts that they have ordered an ATM to replace their TCB from a Dealer ghosts the forum instead of answers, just like above.

Refer to this thread:

Activating Connected Drive, Live & Internet on a retrofitted NBT EVO https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1246508
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:21 AM   #5
alexsuz
China
Rep
Drives: BMW F35 320Li

NBT Evo uses ATM/TCB2 with OABR communication to the HU,so you need make conversion cable to be connect。
1、Tools, cables and plugs

2、ATM/TCB2

3、The first method(ATM)

4、The second method(TCB2)

5、e-sys
tips:The original car has connect driving
1、Evo uses TCB:Can't recover the weather、news, etc...Remote control and real time traffic condition is ok。(Because Evo uses OABR Ethernet instead of USB cable)
2、Evo uses ATM/TCB2:Can't recover remote control,but weather、news、search,real time traffic condition is ok。(Because the equipment has been replaced,imei and iccid have also changed)

Last edited by alexsuz; 05-03-2020 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      04-19-2020, 12:07 AM   #6
Ddayan97
Private
Rep

Hi guys,

Has anybody had any luck with Topdonas1 wiring harness that he sells on eBay from the UK? I’ve had no luck personally, and I feel like I got ripped off for some wiring that doesn’t work to be honest. Just wondering if anybody here has successfully connected an ATM to an EVO using this pre-made harness.

I’ve even been struggling with BMW dealers recently to find the OEM harness that connects NBT Evo and ATM modules, but no luck.

IK6SPEED thanks for all of your inputs on this subtopic.

Perhaps the ATM is not connected properly, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:24 AM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys,

Has anybody had any luck with Topdonas1 wiring harness that he sells on eBay from the UK? I've had no luck personally, and I feel like I got ripped off for some wiring that doesn't work to be honest. Just wondering if anybody here has successfully connected an ATM to an EVO using this pre-made harness.

I've even been struggling with BMW dealers recently to find the OEM harness that connects NBT Evo and ATM modules, but no luck.

Thanks
I have used the harness and so has psyki

Why do you think it's not working and have you contacted him?

As you purchased a new ATM from a Dealer, as I stated, the ATM has to be coded. I have asked in numerous threads about this and no one responds with any details. I have no idea if it comes coded or Dealership needs to do it. There are passing references in several posts, but no follow up when I ask. If it's not coded properly, it's not going to work.

Furthermore, you state in another thread the HU was coded to your car's VIN. In the retrofits I've been involved with and the cable set in question, you code the VIN of the ATM Donor to the HU. So again, knowing that your new ATM from BMW has been coded to your VIN is a must.

Also, I know originally psyki had the connector reversed on the ATM connection and thought his was not working as well. Only after flipping the connector did it work.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
Ddayan97
Private
Rep

Quote:

As you purchased a new ATM from a Dealer, as I stated, the ATM has to be coded. I have asked in numerous threads about this and no one responds with any details. I have no idea if it comes coded or Dealership needs to do it. There are passing references in several posts, but no follow up when I ask. If it's not coded properly, it's not going to work.

Furthermore, you state in another thread the HU was coded to your car's VIN. In the retrofits I've been involved with and the cable set in question, you code the VIN of the ATM Donor to the HU. So again, knowing that your new ATM from BMW has been coded to your VIN is a must.

Also, I know originally psyki had the connector reversed on the ATM connection and thought his was not working as well. Only after flipping the connector did it work.
Just contacted him.

My ATM is most definitely not coded whatsoever. Perhaps it needs to be bench coded before install? It simply is not recognized in e-sys, so I am going to see if flipping the connector works, will keep you all posted.If anybody has any pictures from past retrofit work with @Topdans1 harness that would be greatly appreciated.

IK6SPEED I'll try to be the guinea pig here with a brand new ATM, and I'll be responsive unlike some others.

steve@codemybimmer do you think you can bench code the ATM on its own?

Thanks again IK6SPEED
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just contacted him.

My ATM is most definitely not coded whatsoever. Perhaps it needs to be bench coded before install? It simply is not recognized in e-sys, so I am going to see if flipping the connector works, will keep you all posted.If anybody has any pictures from past retrofit work with @Topdans1 harness that would be greatly appreciated.

IK6SPEED I'll try to be the guinea pig here with a brand new ATM, and I'll be responsive unlike some others.

steve@codemybimmer do you think you can bench code the ATM on its own?

Thanks again IK6SPEED
This is the connector that you have to be careful to align properly. If reversed, you will not have the ATM working.

I am thinking the ATM did not show up in eSys when psyki had it reversed. Perhaps he can chime in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

I would also state that the only potential chance you have of SOS and Connected Drive Services to work would be if the Dealership coded the ATM so the eSIM and IMEI number for your VIN matched in the BMW Connected Drive Database. Knowing how ISTA stops on errors and considering the NBT EVO and ATM are not supposed to be in your car, I have serious questions if a Dealership can actually do that (which I've brought up multiple times).

In a worse case scenario, I still have another known working ATM with an "identity" you can register and assume if you return yours to the Dealer.

As psyki can confirm, we've proven that process.

To spend that much for a new ATM that will not give you those services just sounds like a big waste of money to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #11
Ddayan97
Private
Rep

Quote:
I would also state that the only potential chance you have of SOS and Connected Drive Services to work would be if the Dealership coded the ATM so the eSIM and IMEI number for your VIN matched in the BMW Connected Drive Database. Knowing how ISTA stops on errors and considering the NBT EVO and ATM are not supposed to be in your car, I have serious questions if a Dealership can actually do that (which I've brought up multiple times).

In a worse case scenario, I still have another known working ATM with an "identity" you can register and assume if you return yours to the Dealer.

To spend that much for a new ATM that will not give you those services just sounds like a big waste of money to me.
I just found the service bulletin issued for activating the ATM and I forwarded it to the parts department that sold me the ATM. Here's to hoping they activate it for me, if not I'll probably demand a return and go your route.

Here is the link to the service bulletin, if anybody wants for reference.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...61579-9999.pdf
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      04-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I just found the service bulletin issued for activating the ATM and I forwarded it to the parts department that sold me the ATM. Here's to hoping they activate it for me, if not I'll probably demand a return and go your route.

Here is the link to the service bulletin, if anybody wants for reference.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...61579-9999.pdf
See. That falls in line with what someone else posted before disappearing last Fall and that's what I referred to.

Their VIN was needed and the new ATM came in specifically encoded for their VIN.

Now does that mean that it is also updated in the BMW Connected Drive database?

One would assume so, but knowing how poorly the Connected Drive Services are run and operated at BMW, that's too much to assume.

That's why I asked these specific questions in 2 threads last Fall. To get the definitive answers in real life without assumptions.

The only problem I see is that the specific Connected Drive Services are associated with your VIN in the VO and VIN Decoders.

For example, my 2013 AH3 had a NBT unit in it, but the rest of the F30s did not get upgraded to NBT from CIC until Model Year 2014. During the Black Friday Sales, where a 2014 could get real time traffic for $50 a year, they wanted $200 from me with the exact same equipment because of the Services were VIN Coded. No amount of reasoning with anyone could change that.

Thus it's very hard for me to understand how they would do that for retrofitted NBT EVO/ATM cars as the VIN will still be tied to the old NBT Services, while transplanting a retrofit eliminates all those worries.

Just a lot of unknowns.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out - for everyone's knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 10:39 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Rereading entire PDF again makes me believe that ATM would still most likely show up in eSys even if VIN number was not coded and unit not activated with ATT.

I still wonder if you have connection I listed 4 posts above is reversed.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 08:49 PM   #14
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys,

Has anybody had any luck with Topdonas1 wiring harness that he sells on eBay from the UK? I've had no luck personally, and I feel like I got ripped off for some wiring that doesn't work to be honest. Just wondering if anybody here has successfully connected an ATM to an EVO using this pre-made harness.

I've even been struggling with BMW dealers recently to find the OEM harness that connects NBT Evo and ATM modules, but no luck.

Thanks
What did topdonas say?

And what happened with ATM? Another person having issue with not seeing ATM in esys.

What Hardware Level is your NBT EVO HU you are installing?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 10:48 PM   #15
Ddayan97
Private
Rep

Quote:
What did topdonas say?

And what happened with ATM? Another person having issue with not seeing ATM in esys.

Hey,

I haven’t been able to get to shop yet with coronavirus going on. Istep level is at 2017, I’ll get you the exact numbers next time I start it up.

Interesting to hear someone else having the same issue. Did they also purchase a brand new ATM?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 10:50 PM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What did topdonas say?

Hey,

I haven't been able to get to shop yet with coronavirus going on. Istep level is at 2017, I'll get you the exact numbers next time I start it up.

Interesting to hear someone else having the same issue. Did they also purchase a brand new ATM?

Thanks
No. Current unit from another car.

Look at the NBT EVO unit you are planning to use.

What (HW) Hardware level is it? 4.1?

Not istep level.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 11:50 PM   #17
alexsuz
China
Rep

Quote:
You realize no pics are showing?
The pictures was somehow deleted
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 12:19 AM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsuz View Post
The pictures was somehow deleted
Thanks.

Is your retrofitted ATM appearing in eSys?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 01:00 AM   #19
alexsuz
China
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

Is your retrofitted ATM appearing in eSys?
1、ATM module good work
2、Normal power supplyl
3、Can line communication is normal
If there is no problem above, retrofitted ATM appearing in eSys。

Changes to iccid and IMEI can be sent to BMW ConnectedDrive Department by email. It used to be OK, but now it seems that personal email is not accepted

Last edited by alexsuz; 05-04-2020 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:19 AM   #20
Ddayan97
Private
Rep

Quote:

Not istep level.
I do not know. Any non invasive method to check?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 01:40 AM   #21
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not istep level.
I do not know. Any non invasive method to check?
As shown in pic from previous post, It's on the front sticker, below the disc slot.

HW: ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #22
coupedream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino blue 435i Gc

Garage List
Ik6speed, Do you know where the can wires from top donas atm harness get tapped into?
Appreciate 0