F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > m340i uk reviews
Extreme Powerhouse

10-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

m340i uk reviews

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...to/first-drive

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...ve-2019-review

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-...ve-2019-review

Clearly the embargo has lifted.

All positive and not helping in keeping the man maths calculator in the draw.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Frustrating, I had the dealer demo M340i lined-up as a courtesy car for when mine goes in for service next Monday but they rang me this afternoon to say it's been sold! Still, they're giving me an M135i to have a go in instead and have promised an extended drive in their replacement M340i demonstrator when it's available in a couple of weeks time.

The initial reviews seem favourable but I'll still be waiting for the decent discounts to arrive before placing an order...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Frustrating, I had the dealer demo M340i lined-up as a courtesy car for when mine goes in for service next Monday but they rang me this afternoon to say it's been sold! Still, they're giving me an M135i to have a go in instead and have promised an extended drive in their replacement M340i demonstrator when it's available in a couple of weeks time.

The initial reviews seem favourable but I'll still be waiting for the decent discounts to arrive before placing an order...
Absolutely will wait for Q1 deals next year where hopefully we see at least 20%. Well will power aside. My local dealer has offered a test drive of their 340i demo as well which I'm putting off!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Top Gear review is really positive. Slightly nervous about the Autocar comment about it struggling from a ride perspective when the road gets uneven, much like my mate’s M3 Competition before he sorted the suspension. I’m seriously thinking about the touring but wouldn’t really be wanting to feel obliged to go down the aftermarket route to sort the suspension, if it didn’t work so well on UK country roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
JNW1
Major General
Rep

's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
Top Gear review is really positive. Slightly nervous about the Autocar comment about it struggling from a ride perspective when the road gets uneven, much like my mate’s M3 Competition before he sorted the suspension. I’m seriously thinking about the touring but wouldn’t really be wanting to feel obliged to go down the aftermarket route to sort the suspension, if it didn’t work so well on UK country roads.
This is exactly why I want an extended test drive. If I have the car for at least a few hours I can take it across a variety of roads I know (which takes out a variable) and I should hopefully be able to make an informed decision at the end of it all. In terms of the ride, I'm expecting it to be firmer than my F31 335d but to be honest I'm fine with that if the trade-off is more precise handling. I find the ride in Mrs JNW1's Cooper S perfectly ok so if an M340i is no more lively than that it will be fine by me!

As an aside, though, the C43 keeps getting talked about as feeling more special to drive so perhaps I need to have a closer look at one of those before making a decision? The reports of indifferent build quality do put me off a bit though, as does the less inviting interior...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

When I first drove my M5, and had to go over a speed ramp in the dealers car park, I wondered what I had done... it seemed very firm. But now it just feels normal, right - and let’s be honest you can’t make a 2 tonne saloon handle as well as it does with soft suspension and 20” wheels...

Son in law loved his C43 coupe, but admitted it was a bit noisy and very firm riding. But he finds the 440i he has now a bit dull by comparison...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

After 12 BMWs and 5 M cars there is only one that has a truly sorted suspension and that's the 7er on air with adaptive dampers it steam rollers a road, I'm just as quick over the moors than I was in my F80 M3 and that had the MP HAS kit fitted and corner weighted.

Where the M3 would still skip and jump with the wheels losing contact with the ground the 7er just rolls over everything flattening the road and dismissing romps and humps with its 3metre+ wheel base.

Most British b roads need a compliant suspension to really storm along and most sporty BMWs don't have it, obviously Nigel Mansell would be quicker in the M3 than the 7er but I'm not Nigel....
      10-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #8
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Quote:
This is exactly why I want an extended test drive. If I have the car for at least a few hours I can take it across a variety of roads I know (which takes out a variable) and I should hopefully be able to make an informed decision at the end of it all. In terms of the ride, I'm expecting it to be firmer than my F31 335d but to be honest I'm fine with that if the trade-off is more precise handling. I find the ride in Mrs JNW1's Cooper S perfectly ok so if an M340i is no more lively than that it will be fine by me!

As an aside, though, the C43 keeps getting talked about as feeling more special to drive so perhaps I need to have a closer look at one of those before making a decision? The reports of indifferent build quality do put me off a bit though, as does the less inviting interior...
Please update if you try the C43 estate.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      10-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
After 12 BMWs and 5 M cars there is only one that has a truly sorted suspension and that's the 7er on air with adaptive dampers it steam rollers a road, I'm just as quick over the moors than I was in my F80 M3 and that had the MP HAS kit fitted and corner weighted.

Where the M3 would still skip and jump with the wheels losing contact with the ground the 7er just rolls over everything flattening the road and dismissing romps and humps with its 3metre+ wheel base.

Most British b roads need a compliant suspension to really storm along and most sporty BMWs don't have it, obviously Nigel Mansell would be quicker in the M3 than the 7er but I'm not Nigel....
Interesting thoughts but a 5-series is bigger than I'd want never mind a 7-series!

I get what you're saying about compliance to absorb the bumps but, while I've never driven one, I'd have thought a 7 was just too big and heavy to be much fun on a twisty road? I can see it would be great for long distance motorway stuff but I do very little of that nowadays....
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Most British b roads need a compliant suspension to really storm along and most sporty BMWs don't have it...
And many A-roads. M340i is at the top of my shopping list, but initial reviews have me thinking another 5-series may be the better car choice for my driving.

Compliant suspensions... remember the Peugeot 405... shows what can be done with quite simple suspension systems.
Appreciate 3
Wills28656.00
F30Andy1774.00
      10-26-2019, 03:33 AM   #11
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:

It does sound fabulous. I have air and adaptive dampers too (or whatever LR Dynamic active suspension is), and it does feel like it would be a perfect handler with 500kg less and 500mm lower CoG

It genuinely is better and more stable in many corners than my adaptive 440i was, and that's pretty damning of the 4GC. The LR has less understeer at normal speeds. Tight bends of the 90ish degree variety are a different story, mass is mass and it takes some redirecting at height.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Interesting thoughts but a 5-series is bigger than I'd want never mind a 7-series!

I get what you're saying about compliance to absorb the bumps but, while I've never driven one, I'd have thought a 7 was just too big and heavy to be much fun on a twisty road? I can see it would be great for long distance motorway stuff but I do very little of that nowadays....
2 tonnes and 5.1m along a B road at speed is fun....kinda

At slow speeds the 7er is very docile and quite slow to respond but at speed everything weights up and it feels so stable on turn in, it's not dramatic and the M3 of course is far far more fun and scary, but in terms of ground covering ability the 7er is remarkably good.
      10-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #13
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Spot on.

It is so important and one of the reasons I put 18's on my M3s, it made such a difference, getting that tyre to bite properly on our crap roads.

I would love to try the new Alpina B3 Touring, that is meant to be spot on ride wise.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #14
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

"Just don't expect a limo like ride....". Actually, that's what I'd like next time around, as my back is knackered, so rather than swapping my 440i MPPSK for its G series equivalent, I'm going for a 5 again. It's not limo like - I've test driven one - but it's bloody good nonetheless
      10-29-2019, 03:36 AM   #15
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Most British b roads need a compliant suspension to really storm along and most sporty BMWs don't have it...
And many A-roads. M340i is at the top of my shopping list, but initial reviews have me thinking another 5-series may be the better car choice for my driving.

Compliant suspensions... remember the Peugeot 405... shows what can be done with quite simple suspension systems.
Try a new 5, Pete, you won't be disappointed. My test car was on passive sports suspension on 19"s and it was pretty well balanced. I'd avoid the 20"s on passive. Not a car youd chuck around much, but nor is my 4GC, tbh.
A new 5 is on my list for next year - unless they ruin it with the LCI by slapping a stupid big grille on it!?
      10-29-2019, 03:53 AM   #16
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Try a new 5, Pete, you won't be disappointed. My test car was on passive sports suspension on 19"s and it was pretty well balanced. I'd avoid the 20"s on passive. Not a car youd chuck around much, but nor is my 4GC, tbh.
A new 5 is on my list for next year - unless they ruin it with the LCI by slapping a stupid big grille on it!?
As discussed on another thread, if comfort is a high priority, and you can cope with the size, it's hard to get past the value of the 7 Series. Clearly you will need a pre-LCI if comedy grilles are an issue, but the standard combination of Comfort Seats and Nappa Leather is quite compelling. I had these on my X5 and they are the best seats I have ever tried.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 04:05 AM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
As discussed on another thread, if comfort is a high priority, and you can cope with the size, it's hard to get past the value of the 7 Series. Clearly you will need a pre-LCI if comedy grilles are an issue, but the standard combination of Comfort Seats and Nappa Leather is quite compelling. I had these on my X5 and they are the best seats I have ever tried.
Agreed when you compare the specs the 7er wins hands down you get 4 heated comfort seats and massage in the front + full nappa leather and air suspension as standard.
      10-29-2019, 04:43 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I'd like to drop down in size a bit, but still minded the Five will be the car to get.

I've tried a G30 (530d xDrive) M-sport on 20" wheels, was pleasantly surprised. Not the ride and handling quality on poor roads as my F11 with Adaptive Drive.

I'm watching the G31 models going through the AUC site, nothing yet grabbed my serious attention. Not in any hurry, intend to take the F11 through the winter, paid all the up front bills, (servicing, warranty), should get one more winter out of the winter tyres, etc.. I will try the M340i before making any decision, but not too hopeful on it really filling the brief.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:53 AM   #19
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I quite like comfort seats, nappa leather and 20s... not quite a limo like ride but good enough given what else it does...

Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      10-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #20
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
My 540 is on M Sport passive (you have to drop the M Sport if you want adaptive) on 19", and ride is absolutely fine. It's no Boxster, but comfort and quality more than make up for that. And it's quick enough to get into trouble if you want to
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 06:19 AM   #21
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Quote:
My 540 is on M Sport passive (you have to drop the M Sport if you want adaptive) on 19", and ride is absolutely fine. It's no Boxster, but comfort and quality more than make up for that. And it's quick enough to get into trouble if you want to
thanks - and my apologies to 225 for hijacking the thread
      10-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #22
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I quite like comfort seats, nappa leather and 20s... not quite a limo like ride but good enough given what else it does...

For me, the M5 is pretty much the perfect all-rounder. Just that small matter of price...
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50