F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > xdrive auto x question
GetBMWParts

02-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
M4_Guts 435
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435 xdrive Msport (6mt)

xdrive auto x question

Hey everyone I own a 14 435xi m tech car, and I was wondering if anyone has some insight on their experiences with x drive as to what I should prep the car for. This is my first Bmw so don't bash me haha. I know the car does have a electronically controlled diff by the abs so I know I will crew through tires and brakes. Your kind advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_Guts 435 View Post
Hey everyone I own a 14 435xi m tech car, and I was wondering if anyone has some insight on their experiences with x drive as to what I should prep the car for. This is my first Bmw so don't bash me haha. I know the car does have a electronically controlled diff by the abs so I know I will crew through tires and brakes. Your kind advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
prep your car to do? lapping? drag? autox? rolling pulls? hill climb?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
What level of prep are you looking for?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
swomerva
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe

I drove my stock F36 xDrive in a few autocross last year and the car is surprisingly nimble. Trail brake or throw the car in to a few transitions and it will definitely oversteer. A cool thing about xDrive for autocross is you can do a lot of mid corner correction with the throttle, lift for a little oversteer and smash the gas to straighten out or slightly understeer past a cone. That type of driving style is fun but not as fast as being smooth and it kills tires a lot faster so those are things you only do if you don't have a good line going in to the corner. One thing I would recommend is getting a relatively cheap set of autocross tires and wheels as your stock tires will take a beating since we have virtually no camber and the car is pretty heavy for the task. Also, I would get a cell phone mount and Harry’s lap timer so you can go back and watch runs.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:03 PM   #5
M4_Guts 435
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
Quote:

Mike
prep your car to do? lapping? drag? autox? rolling pulls? hill climb?
Auto cross. Sorry I should have been more specific
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:05 PM   #6
M4_Guts 435
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Auto cross and then work my way up to lapping
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
The usual, "tires, brake fluid, and brake pads," applies for just getting started. That can carry you through autoX and HPDEs. Once you've learned how the car behaves and want to increase the envelope further you can move up to front camber plates, and then suspension changes and/or LSD.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Check your tires, brakes, and fluid. No need to upgrade just yet. There are two schools of thought on this, but I am of the school that says AutoX is a good place to turn DSC completely off and learn the limits of your car safely. DSC can be a crutch to learn bad habits. This will also save a bit of your brakes.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
M4_Guts 435
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The usual, "tires, brake fluid, and brake pads," applies for just getting started. That can carry you through autoX and HPDEs. Once you've learned how the car behaves and want to increase the envelope further you can move up to front camber plates, and then suspension changes and/or LSD.
Quote:
Quote:
Cool! I already did brakes but it's a stop tech pad for street use so eventually I might need to go for something aggressive. What tires would you recommend? I have the Michelin pilot sport 4s's but I've heard they go quick
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Cool! I already did brakes but it's a stop tech pad for street use so eventually I might need to go for something aggressive. What tires would you recommend? I have the Michelin pilot sport 4s's but I've heard they go quick
I've tried a few tires from the original Pilot Sports to Super Sports to 4s and the 4s is the most sensitive to tire pressure. Unlike the PS and PSS, I made two expensive mistakes dropping the 4s to under 35PSI on my 228i. In both cases the tires chunked, to the point of revealing cords. I have added camber to the front through the use of M control arms but it's clearly not enough for the 4s and how I drive the car. The trade off not going under 35 is the tires to begin to really squeal and lose some grip. On the other hand, the 4S is very good in a wet conditions. I wouldn't use anything else for wet driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Honestly, you should be OK in a bone stock car.

My 435 is RWD, but at our autocross events there are two other BMW drivers I've come to know and since we're all in the same class we've come to hang out together at events.

One of those drivers shows up in a F30 335Xi Luxury Line. It's bone stock, automatic, runs on all season tires, and he is consistently 2~3 seconds faster than I am around the course. The only changes he makes to the car is tire pressure throughout the day and even then he doesn't adjust it all that much off of the stock settings if I remember correctly.

You should do just fine.
      06-17-2020, 10:12 PM   #12
nickf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

Tire pressure / tire temp / bring white chalk but most important turn DSC all the way off.
Appreciate 0