F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > First real hpde with the F30 (13 328i M sport stick)
proTUNING Freaks

10-07-2020, 03:16 AM   #1
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

First real hpde with the F30 (13 328i M sport stick)

Earlier I got back from my first and last (bittersweet) hpde at a relatively new track called the New York Saftey track my local chapter put on. I haven’t had the head done on my m3 yet, so I took my new grocery getter, a 13 f30 328i m sport. I got it in Jan with like 88,000 miles, I almost turned 100k on t he way home.

To prepare and not destroy the front tires (I used My square hankook v720 Track day set up from the e36.... one actually delaminated but not at the edge).
The car was very well maintained when I bought it, with recent fresh Bilstein edc shocks and struts. I recently put a set of m3 front control arms and was able to get -2.0 degrees camber up front, had the shop dial down some of the front toe in to .05 (spec is .12!) and less rear camber -1.5, and less rear toe , .10..... the lower control arms and alignment really changed the turn in, and woke up the steering..

The rest of the suspension is so soft, I like to feel body motion on track, but the front lifts and dives dramatically, and with the 200tw rubber, it felt like the the bottom of the sides of the car would touch the ground. Coming from an e90 (06 330i) with the oem sport springs, and bmw aftermarket shocks, that car was sooo much more controlled.... but the F30 doesn't "crash" when you cant miss a pothole.

The n20 with a mild tune - jb+ set all the way (stock cat) really wakes up it up though. Lots of midrange torque, and it pulls to 6500or so. No lag to notice, and it feels like it’s got a smallish turbo, and the vanos seems tuned to the cams come in where the turbo leaves off. Plenty of torque compared to n52, and really meaty in third gear.

Re: the tire that came apart, my instructor was a spec e36 champ, and had his z4m track car for the event, was running Hoosiers, and lent me his set of Bridgestone Re11r. This will be my next track day tire. Very disappointing the Kuhmo came apart with just a couple track days and an autocross.

The track itself is a great layout, not fast like the glen, but you get to carry some speed for sure, a ton of elevation change, plenty of camber in the fast downhill esses. I have the lame brakes, but track pads in the front held up fine.

The car didn't use any oil, but in the afternoon they let us run open, I stayed out for a half hour and went through almost a half tank of fuel.

Since this is really a back up car, I could see doing a front sway to calm that suspension down, or eliminating the edc shocks and getting some Bilsteins and Dinan springs..... we'll see. Good times though.
      10-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

some pics attached
Attached Images