F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
ARMA SPEED

11-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #1035
jayhawkram
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 i Xdrive

I installed a snapdragon unit and am pleased so far. I'm trying to fine tune usage before the tutorial session with spouse. I have purchased HeadUnit Reloaded and it is acceptable for our dual phone usage, but I can't get it to automatically load from the OEM side on setup. Waiting on boot, hold down menu, then connect phone to trigger AA is cumbersome. I would like to explore a wifi hotspot solution. The snapdragon can run everything native and with a bluetooth tasker hotspot trigger, my phone could never leave my pocket. BUT, the native bluetooth setup doesn't share text messages!! How the chinese engineers overlooked this one, I can't figure out. My biggest gripe with the OEM setup is the clunky sms interface. Anyone know of another bluetooth app to install and handle SMS sharing? Am I stuck waiting for vendor support?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #1036
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawkram View Post
Anyone know of another bluetooth app to install and handle SMS sharing? Am I stuck waiting for vendor support?
Exactly my problem. I'm working on an app to do just that over Bluetooth but it's not easy as I'm still learning programming in Kotlin.

I have tasted numerous app both free and paid, and so far couldn't find a single one that would sync sms over Bluetooth. Second best would be Pushbullet, it's good, it's free, it does what it says on a tin... it works only through cloud - no Bluetooth support. So both devices must have internet access.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 03:59 AM   #1037
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahel View Post
adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon& -> this is exactly how I ended up in the spring. I got out of it like this: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=2428 (px6 Android 8.1)
so i powered the unit through a bench powersupply.

i removed the otg resistor, it does a normal boot and gets stuck after powercycling to the bootloader with rockusb mode.

i bridged the two pins next to the empty otg resistor pads and the device booted directly into the bootloader with rockusb mode.

i tried with platform tools 26,28, with the adb coming from the androidtool and the rkdevtool, no one can see the device for adb.

i tried all the rockchip drivers from 4.1 up to 4.8

the rkdevtool can see the device and i could flash directly to the partitons but i dont have a recovery.img

anybody any idea?
Attached Images

Last edited by marakeh; 11-08-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #1038
copeal
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 530I E60

SnapDragon

Hello, about my experience with Snapdragon of Medeke after 3 months:

- When i receive a call the screen shows only the bluetooth app and i can not see google maps or other apps in the same time. I think that this is improvable. In PX6 the app bluetooth was transparent and i could see the two views.

- I know there are people are working in this issue. Idrive doesn't control CarPlay.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #1039
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Stuck at Fastboot - Snapdragon unit

Well , I have tried two other USB drives, but forced update/reset is not triggered . The drives don't give any sign that they are accessed .
Curiously , USB ports are powered - I have connected phone and it is charging.
But accessing data on the drives seems to be blocked by fastboot state or something else .
I have connected a Dell XPS to the unit with USB A to USB C cable . Upon connection there is some hardware recognized and installed in Windows laptop , but nothing useful - USB root hub, USB 3.1 controller and PCI to PCI bridge .
I take, these controllers are just activated by the cable connection , which I don't think is a proper way to communicate with the unit.
Unfortunately , USB debugging was not activated in the unit prior to crash, so no way to use ADB or Fastboot commands .
Also unit manipulation by Volume/Power keys , like for phones, is not possible . Unit does not respond to USB keyboard or any car key, but MENU - which switches to original interface.
It looks like installing/upgrading Magisk leads quite often to reboot and stuck at Fastboot . There are some solutions for phones , from rebooting to recovery , uninstall Magisk , sideload,reflash etc , but hardly applicable to our unit .
So , for Android gurus out here - is there a way to install a recovery , or to interact with fastboot , enable USB etc .
I am not familiar with the procedure of enabling USB host , but is this a solution for me ?
I am willing to try everything . Thank you .
And, once again - the picture of my problem .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #1040
UnknownBeing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i (22 M340i in-transit)

Is there a database/spreadsheet with all of the different models?
I am looking for whichever unit will get me the best audio quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #1041
marakeh
Private
Rep

so, i fixed my rk3399 system partition.

if anyone ever has to do the same.

0. if you screw up your system partition (root gone wrong) your device will be stuck at the boot logo and after 60 seconds automatically boot into the boot loader and Rockusb mode, you do not need to remove the otg connector, adb wont work if your stuck in that mode anyway.
1. install the Rockchip driver (DriverAssitant_v4.8.zip)
2. Connect your PC/Notebook through an USB Cable to the Device, use the USB Port that is attached to the main Harness.
2. Power up the Device, if you want to use a power supply, see attachment.
3. If your device is stuck in Rockusb Mode your Device Manager will show "Class for rockusb devices "Rockusb Device""
4. install RKDevtool (AndroidTool_Release_v2.69.zip)
5. Download a current Image (px6-9.0_2019092901T.zip)
6. decompress the zipfile (px6-9.0_2019092901T.zip)
7. install python 2.7+ (python-2.7.17.amd64.msi)
8. get sdat2img.py https://github.com/xpirt/sdat2img)
9. Download brotli (Brotli.exe)
10. copy brotli to decompress folder from 6.
11. decompress the system.new.dat.br (brotli.exe --decompress --in system.new.dat.br --out system.new.dat)
12. transform the system.new.dat to system.img with sdat2img.py (sdat2img.py system.transfer.list system.new.dat system.img)
13. Launch RKDevtool
- make sure the Loader is connected
- go to "Download Image" Tab
- Read Device Partitions
- activate the System checkbox and add the path to system.img
- klick activate
- the partition will be written
- the system reboots
14. your device will reboot successfully

all files can be found here inside the recovery folder
https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/sha...gzVOHPXQMij3zv

i will upload the system.img tomorrow (2,4GB)
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Mjam133.50
Kri1083.50
floc72.50
      11-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #1042
marakeh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman5705 View Post
Well , I have tried two other USB drives, but forced update/reset is not triggered . The drives don't give any sign that they are accessed .
Curiously , USB ports are powered - I have connected phone and it is charging.
But accessing data on the drives seems to be blocked by fastboot state or something else .
I have connected a Dell XPS to the unit with USB A to USB C cable . Upon connection there is some hardware recognized and installed in Windows laptop , but nothing useful - USB root hub, USB 3.1 controller and PCI to PCI bridge .
I take, these controllers are just activated by the cable connection , which I don't think is a proper way to communicate with the unit.
Unfortunately , USB debugging was not activated in the unit prior to crash, so no way to use ADB or Fastboot commands .
Also unit manipulation by Volume/Power keys , like for phones, is not possible . Unit does not respond to USB keyboard or any car key, but MENU - which switches to original interface.
It looks like installing/upgrading Magisk leads quite often to reboot and stuck at Fastboot . There are some solutions for phones , from rebooting to recovery , uninstall Magisk , sideload,reflash etc , but hardly applicable to our unit .
So , for Android gurus out here - is there a way to install a recovery , or to interact with fastboot , enable USB etc .
I am not familiar with the procedure of enabling USB host , but is this a solution for me ?
I am willing to try everything . Thank you .
And, once again - the picture of my problem .
could you show the device manager?
if your device is stuck in fastboot you should be able to flash directly from there.

you will maybe need usb drivers for your soc, get the android platform tools (https://dl.google.com/android/reposi...st-windows.zip)
unzip, and run fastboot from the cmd, plug the usb cable and powercycle your device, if the device is detected from fastboot you should be able to do a "fastboot flash ota.zip"
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:31 AM   #1043
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakeh View Post
could you show the device manager?
if your device is stuck in fastboot you should be able to flash directly from there.

you will maybe need usb drivers for your soc, get the android platform tools (https://dl.google.com/android/reposi...st-windows.zip)
unzip, and run fastboot from the cmd, plug the usb cable and powercycle your device, if the device is detected from fastboot you should be able to do a "fastboot flash ota.zip"
Hi marakeh . This is what I notice have changed in device manager upon connection. But as I mentioned , I am not sure the way I connected is the right one. I used an usb charging cable for phone with usb A plug at one end, connected to unit and usb C at the other end connected to usb C port of my Dell laptop. As you can see, activated devices in Device Manager , do not indicate any kind of data connection - no any COM or new USB device , to install with Qualcomm drivers.
I did run adb/fastboot commands(from minimal adb package)in this state but no device was detected .
Can you suggest other type of cable/connection ? As I mentioned , a phone will charge from unit's usb port but keyboard, usb mouse or flash drive don't seem to be recognized . Thank you .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 04:58 AM   #1044
marakeh
Private
Rep

i would try with a standard usb 2.0 type A to type A cable.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #1045
murzik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550ix

Quote:
Hi marakeh . This is what I notice have changed in device manager upon connection. But as I mentioned , I am not sure the way I connected is the right one. I used an usb charging cable for phone with usb A plug at one end, connected to unit and usb C at the other end connected to usb C port of my Dell laptop. As you can see, activated devices in Device Manager , do not indicate any kind of data connection - no any COM or new USB device , to install with Qualcomm drivers.
I did run adb/fastboot commands(from minimal adb package)in this state but no device was detected .
Can you suggest other type of cable/connection ? As I mentioned , a phone will charge from unit's usb port but keyboard, usb mouse or flash drive don't seem to be recognized . Thank you .
You need to remove otg resistor and connect to USB A port with USB A-A cable.
I am afraid that marakeh is talking about totally different device based on PX6 rockchip. So tools he used will not work with Snapdragon.
But any way , until you remove otg resistor you won't be able to connect headunit to a computer.
Unfortunately I can't help you to locate otg ressistor in snapdragon unit, I could not find it myself :-(
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #1046
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

A tip for better sound quality for those who need to run a cable to the AUX port, you could try removing the resistor/cap on the AUX input port, read more here:
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...008-e60-89170/
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #1047
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakeh View Post
i would try with a standard usb 2.0 type A to type A cable.
Did it . Not working - nothing is detected upon cable connection.
Guess I need some kind of OTG mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #1048
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murzik View Post
You need to remove otg resistor and connect to USB A port with USB A-A cable.
I am afraid that marakeh is talking about totally different device based on PX6 rockchip. So tools he used will not work with Snapdragon.
But any way , until you remove otg resistor you won't be able to connect headunit to a computer.
Unfortunately I can't help you to locate otg ressistor in snapdragon unit, I could not find it myself :-(
Yes , this was my thought after trying USB A-A cable today . Voltage is passed through USB port but no data .
Thanks.
If anyone has any info about OTG resistor in Snapdragon unit , please let us know.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #1049
adrian.k
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 325i se

hi all,

I stall cannot manage to root my head unit. its android 9.0. Model: msm8953 for arm64 (whatever that means). got it from droidUK. I've tried the instructions on here by Kri, but somethings not working. mentions ADB not being recognised as an internal or external command, operable programme or batch file. Then windows box pops up and says the ADB cannot be found.

can anyone help please?
(unsure how to identify if its px5/px6 or what)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #1050
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.k View Post
hi all,

I stall cannot manage to root my head unit. its android 9.0. Model: msm8953 for arm64 (whatever that means). got it from droidUK. I've tried the instructions on here by Kri, but somethings not working. mentions ADB not being recognised as an internal or external command, operable programme or batch file. Then windows box pops up and says the ADB cannot be found.

can anyone help please?
(unsure how to identify if its px5/px6 or what)
PX5, PX6 are units with other CPU - Rockchip. You have an unit with Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 CPU - code name msm8953.
Check your ADB folder install/placement - something is not right . You should run commands from within that folder . If you use Kri's method , you should unpack his files in the ADB folder and run bat file from there. Preferably place ABD folder in the root of your primary partition.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #1051
adrian.k
Private
Rep

Quote:
PX5, PX6 are units with other CPU - Rockchip. You have an unit with Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 CPU - code name msm8953.
Check your ADB folder install/placement - something is not right . You should run commands from within that folder . If you use Kri's method , you should unpack his files in the ADB folder and run bat file from there. Preferably place ABD folder in the root of your primary partition.
thanks so much for that info. where is my ADB folder please?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #1052
adrian.k
Private
Rep

OMG it worked, big thanks to Kri and seaman5705.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #1053
mrsimes
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Guys, I received the "audio filter" from Coika today which would supposedly cure my saturated audio problem.

Photos of what they sent me are attached.

Anyhow, I connected it in-line..... and..... absolutely no difference! Audio still all blown out. I've pretty much decided now just to keep the unit but avoid using any audio on it. I've got into the habit of connecting the phone directly to the BMW bluetooth and using that for calls and music. Life's too short!

On another note, I'm still looking for ways to adjust the screen brightness easily/automatically. Has anyone successfully used Lux? I tried to install it earlier but it asks me to enable "Apps with usage access", however, I don't have that setting to enable. Anyone (non rooted) had any success with this? I'm just looking for a tool that will auto adjust the backlight at sunrise and sunset. Twilight didn't cut it for me - backlight still remains bright with Twilight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #1054
mattmanslim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimes View Post
Guys, I received the "audio filter" from Coika today which would supposedly cure my saturated audio problem.

Photos of what they sent me are attached.

Anyhow, I connected it in-line..... and..... absolutely no difference! Audio still all blown out. I've pretty much decided now just to keep the unit but avoid using any audio on it. I've got into the habit of connecting the phone directly to the BMW bluetooth and using that for calls and music. Life's too short!

On another note, I'm still looking for ways to adjust the screen brightness easily/automatically. Has anyone successfully used Lux? I tried to install it earlier but it asks me to enable "Apps with usage access", however, I don't have that setting to enable. Anyone (non rooted) had any success with this? I'm just looking for a tool that will auto adjust the backlight at sunrise and sunset. Twilight didn't cut it for me - backlight still remains bright with Twilight.

Potentially worth trying what Mirjam suggested a few posts ago. Would be interesting if it is indeed the decoupling capacitors within the factory aux input causing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #1055
marakeh
Private
Rep

well, before removing the caps it would be easier to just unplug the aux port in the armrest
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #1056
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Anyone else have an issue where it just doesnt keep the correct time? Any tricks?

Ive tried "Android Time", Ive tried "iDrive Time" no matter what combination it either always goes back to the 24HR clock or the wrong time after the car is shutdown and restarted.

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 11-09-2019 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0