F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > GVB DV+ issue
GetBMWParts

09-20-2020, 11:21 PM   #89
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Ehmmmm those logs...? You run a PS2 on the 2H map but underboost 5psi up top. Even though missing 5psi (!!) your timing is still very inconsistent. Running 91 on the 93 map?

Also why is the boost target fixed at 17.9? Should this not adjust depending on load request?

Try to compare to this MHD PS2 OTS. There is a load target that is actually being followed quite precisely and boost target is adjusted along the way to do this. https://datazap.me/u/harkes/ps2-ots-...a=3-5-10-11-16

Fearing to start a war here but that 2H looks very crude and hasn't improved since I stopped using it ~2 years ago.

PS: Not saying that the MHD is perfect - cause it also has its issues, but I think these are more related to PWG in general that is just a B*TCH to tune.

PPS: I consider my custom tune "finished" (will drive it for a few weeks to see if anything to tweak). Work done by Fabian from PureBoost and he was the only person of 3 "high profile" tuners that managed to make a working tune for my car. Biggest issue I still have is the post shift overboost but it seems to be either that or a dip in performance which I can feel in the car.
100-200kmh in 7.5sec https://datazap.me/u/harkes/fabian-v...a=3-5-11-12-17
The flat boost target is characteristic of BM3 OTS maps. That's the way it is in almost all of them. As you know, it does not have a load target and determine boost target based on that, unlike MHD. The fixed, flat boost target is what makes the tune unable to adjust for weather (i.e., HPFP crash in winter on BM3 ethanol maps) rather than adjusting based on atmospheric conditions.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #90
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Ehmmmm those logs...? You run a PS2 on the 2H map but underboost 5psi up top. Even though missing 5psi (!!) your timing is still very inconsistent. Running 91 on the 93 map?

Also why is the boost target fixed at 17.9? Should this not adjust depending on load request?

Try to compare to this MHD PS2 OTS. There is a load target that is actually being followed quite precisely and boost target is adjusted along the way to do this. https://datazap.me/u/harkes/ps2-ots-...a=3-5-10-11-16

Fearing to start a war here but that 2H looks very crude and hasn't improved since I stopped using it ~2 years ago.

PS: Not saying that the MHD is perfect - cause it also has its issues, but I think these are more related to PWG in general that is just a B*TCH to tune.

PPS: I consider my custom tune "finished" (will drive it for a few weeks to see if anything to tweak). Work done by Fabian from PureBoost and he was the only person of 3 "high profile" tuners that managed to make a working tune for my car. Biggest issue I still have is the post shift overboost but it seems to be either that or a dip in performance which I can feel in the car.
100-200kmh in 7.5sec https://datazap.me/u/harkes/fabian-v...a=3-5-11-12-17
Yeah, the maps underboost to get better timing, though I had some 94 oct left in the tank and looks like it wasn't enough lol.

here's a fix:

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f65...729b1efbe82987

It ran better later on during the track as it was still adapting, but it needs some work. I don't plan on getting a custom tune until I get my hands on a DE HPFP.
      09-22-2020, 09:05 PM   #91
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Guys, who has an experience with cheaper options for DV+?
Like these $30.99

Choosing between GFB for $120 and like that one for $31.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:15 PM   #92
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
Like these $30.99

I got my GFB DV+ for sale for 60$, it's just missing a extended bolt.
      09-22-2020, 10:52 PM   #93
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
Like these $30.99

Not sure i would buy a cheap knock off DV given the difficulty of the install and the fact that its a moving part and not just a pipe. But if you test do report back.
Appreciate 1
harkes1077.00
      09-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #94
Blahx9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
I don't see any significant difference. Can you do multiple gear log. Did you get recirc or vent to air? Do you notice any difference other than sound?
I don’t think I notice any difference. I go the vent to air version. I was able to goto track last night and got some logs. I posted in racing forum. But here is one run. I logged it leading up to and a bit after to see what else was going on but you can zoom in on the details.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f6e...0b4309108775c5
      09-26-2020, 09:58 PM   #95
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahx9 View Post
I don’t think I notice any difference. I go the vent to air version. I was able to goto track last night and got some logs. I posted in racing forum. But here is one run. I logged it leading up to and a bit after to see what else was going on but you can zoom in on the details.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f6e...0b4309108775c5
Is this the before or after?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #96
Blahx9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i

After
      10-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #97
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Great, thanks for the pics and info. A DV is still a "one day" upgrade for me. After the MST inlet and my MPPK airbox mod, i find it hard to see how throttle response could be further improved. And no evidence of my DV performance lacking. For once i am trying to enjoy the car and not feel the need to constantly work on it, lol. We'll see how long that lasts...
Update:

I was sent a replacement unit to replace the one I have, and after testing, the old one I had had a defective solenoid cable, we just sent the entire old unit back and replaced it, now everything works, no codes, no nothing, just whoosh sounds!

10-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #98
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Update:

I was sent a replacement unit to replace the one I have, and after testing, the old one I had had a defective solenoid cable, we just sent the entire old unit back and replaced it, now everything works, no codes, no nothing, just whoosh sounds!

Nice, thanks for the update. I am currently testing the CTS intake and there is SO much whoosh sound even with stock DV. Review and comparison on that + dinan + OEM MPPK setup coming soon after i finish logging tomorrow!
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #99
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice, thanks for the update. I am currently testing the CTS intake and there is SO much whoosh sound even with stock DV. Review and comparison on that + dinan + OEM MPPK setup coming soon after i finish logging tomorrow!
Here's a 91 oct log, BM3 has a bug with the new update I think, so it's written as 93, but it's actually 91. 2nd gear is all fudged up because I had xDelete on and I spun all of 2nd gear doing a log starting at 2500rpm, fishtailed everywhere lol.

As you can see, WGDC is about 10% less than DV+ or stock DV, I believe Pureturbos even advertised between 10-20% less WGDC as well for the Turbosmart. I had between 61-68% WGDC using the same map with the DV+, it also looks like AFR is very stable as well, hell this BOV literally fixed most of my OTS map problems. I actually recommend this over DV+ for sure, and if you run custom, I'm sure with the reduced WGDC, you can probably squeeze out a bit more boost.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f80...0b4379a0b37bfc
      10-12-2020, 04:25 AM   #100
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Here's a 91 oct log, BM3 has a bug with the new update I think, so it's written as 93, but it's actually 91. 2nd gear is all fudged up because I had xDelete on and I spun all of 2nd gear doing a log starting at 2500rpm, fishtailed everywhere lol.

As you can see, WGDC is about 10% less than DV+ or stock DV, I believe Pureturbos even advertised between 10-20% less WGDC as well for the Turbosmart. I had between 61-68% WGDC using the same map with the DV+, it also looks like AFR is very stable as well, hell this BOV literally fixed most of my OTS map problems. I actually recommend this over DV+ for sure, and if you run custom, I'm sure with the reduced WGDC, you can probably squeeze out a bit more boost.

I am still in shock of how shitty that 91 must be when I can run +16psi with better timing on 93... Also dont understand why BM3 dont lower timing or boost to get rid of that all that correction... Looks messy.
      10-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #101
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

These are PWG WGDC numbers though right, so what do you think for EWG? I would find it hard to believe if DV upgrade alone changes WGDC by more than like 3% on a EWG, but i could be wrong... Maybe that will be the next thing to test after intakes lol...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #102
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
These are PWG WGDC numbers though right, so what do you think for EWG? I would find it hard to believe if DV upgrade alone changes WGDC by more than like 3% on a EWG, but i could be wrong... Maybe that will be the next thing to test after intakes lol...
Honestly, I think it would be a 5-10% difference, the turbosmart holds boost much better and I believe you might not overboost much on EWG as it's not vacuum, but I think it'll help with holding boost through shifts, plus you don't need to do maintenance on it like the DV+
      10-12-2020, 04:03 PM   #103
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, I think it would be a 5-10% difference, the turbosmart holds boost much better and I believe you might not overboost much on EWG as it's not vacuum, but I think it'll help with holding boost through shifts, plus you don't need to do maintenance on it like the DV+
I know we're both speculating, but ive seen EWG logs for people running the turbosmart, albeit not back to back with a stock DV baseline, and i recall the changes being very hard to see, maybe 1-3% lower WGDC. 5-10% decrease from just a DV upgrade on a EWG would be insane, and i would buy one right now.

Anyone have datalogs on the same tune with EWG before and after DV upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #104
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I know we're both speculating, but ive seen EWG logs for people running the turbosmart, albeit not back to back with a stock DV baseline, and i recall the changes being very hard to see, maybe 1-3% lower WGDC. 5-10% decrease from just a DV upgrade on a EWG would be insane, and i would buy one right now.

Anyone have datalogs on the same tune with EWG before and after DV upgrade?
I think pureturbos advertised between 10-20% lower WGDC, so maybe with a upgraded turbo there may be a much bigger difference?
      10-13-2020, 12:20 AM   #105
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think pureturbos advertised between 10-20% lower WGDC, so maybe with a upgraded turbo there may be a much bigger difference?
Those are EWG numbers? Where'd you read that? You're getting me a little hyped even though i dont think even 5% is achievable for just DV upgrade on a OTS map, but i will highly consider ordering the TS DV if it goes on sale for black friday to confirm or deny this theory. Would just like to see some data before then.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #106
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Those are EWG numbers? Where'd you read that? You're getting me a little hyped even though i dont think even 5% is achievable for just DV upgrade on a OTS map, but i will highly consider ordering the TS DV if it goes on sale for black friday to confirm or deny this theory. Would just like to see some data before then.
      10-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #107
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the link. The way I interpret this is that its not clear if its for EWG or PWG (i think PWG) and "on some cars" means the baseline car had a horribly leaking DV causing excessive WGDC and the TS DV fixed that issue. So a EWG car with a working OEM DV going to a TS DV would see significantly less improvement. But hey, maybe i am just a pessimist.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #108
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the link. The way I interpret this is that its not clear if its for EWG or PWG (i think PWG) and "on some cars" means the baseline car had a horribly leaking DV causing excessive WGDC and the TS DV fixed that issue. So a EWG car with a working OEM DV going to a TS DV would see significantly less improvement. But hey, maybe i am just a pessimist.
You never know, I think there might be a legit improvement over stock and DV+
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #109
S6K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

sub'd. Planning on purchasing a pure stage 2 kit on black friday and deciding between the DV+ and TS EM BOV. Interested to hear if the version pure is posting about is the recirc version or VTA. For what its worth I had a pneumatic BOV on my last car that had a factory ECU operated recirc valve and that caused no AFR issues. The pneumatic BOV was a PITA though in terms of throttle response, ECU controlled BOVs are definitely the way to go. My current take is that the easier install of the TS EM BOV, slightly better throttle response, and need to lubricate the DV+ every year or so is well worth the extra $135 for the TS BOV. Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts though. It seems like I have a much clearer choice than those of you who already have the DV+ installed on your vehicle and are facing the decision on whether it is worth swapping out or not.

Last edited by S6K; 10-20-2020 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #110
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdevito757 View Post
sub'd. Planning on purchasing a pure stage 2 kit on black friday and deciding between the DV+ and TS EM BOV. Interested to hear if the version pure is posting about is the recirc version or VTA. For what its worth I had a pneumatic BOV on my last car that had a factory ECU operated recirc valve and that caused no AFR issues. The pneumatic BOV was a PITA though in terms of throttle response, ECU controlled BOVs are definitely the way to go. My current take is that the easier install of the TS EM BOV, slightly better throttle response, and need to lubricate the DV+ every year or so is well worth the extra $135 for the TS BOV. Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts though. It seems like I have a much clearer choice than those of you who already have the DV+ installed on your vehicle and are facing the decision on whether it is worth swapping out or not.
As you mentioned, i think your choice is clear - get the TS. Although it hasn't been around as long as the DV+, so the long term data doesn't necessarily exist yet, I don't think there's been a single report that the DV+ is better than the TS; everyone seems to report the opposite. I haven't purchased either yet, but if i do buy one, it will be the TS.

After running the CTS intake for a bit (see my intake review thread), there's no way i would get a VTA BOV given how loud the recirc is with a non-closed box intake. Potential concerns with dumping metered air aside, the noise would have to be excessive and i would be worried it would get old fast, unless you are specifically seeking that. It's funny because with the CTS intake, i keep wondering what it would sound like with no DV and a bunch of compressor surge lol.
Appreciate 0