F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > MyBMW vs Connecteddrive
Extreme Powerhouse

04-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #23
Paul D3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3

The old app on iOS had a calendar sync. So trips appeared on a screen and you could tap send to car.

No calendar integration on the new app.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:10 AM   #24
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
I'm a fan of the new app. The only thing I ever used the Connected app for was sending destinations to my car and occasionally using the lock/unlock buttons. However, all of those features were disabled for me once my subscription ended.

With the new app, it allows me to send destinations to my car even without the subscription, so it works for me. Trying to input destinations in the car on ID4 is a nightmare IMO.
      04-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #25
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
"Congratulations"...! The good old app will be discontinued after 30.06.2021!

We are kindly invited to use the new, "better", "more capable" My BMW app.... which in reality is:
- with appreciably inferior HMI
- chaotically organised
- instead of introducing new functionality, actually LACKING functionality previously available (e.g. horn)

I'm contemplating sending a complaint to BMW ConnectedDrive... probably a voice in the desert, but if we don't bother complaining to them, what's the point of complaining here...
I did actually write to BMW to complain about updates in the old app.
Guess if I got any reply back on that?

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #26
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Did you expect any
      04-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #27
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I just noticed, have they removed the cockpit function (essentially the desktop version of the mobile app) from the connected website?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #28
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

I have been using both apps side by side. The new one works and seems ok for many of the features. I can't say it is better yet, but I guess it looks more modern and if this is the base platform that more features will be added to later, then I will reserve judgement. As many have noted, why get rid of the horn button? Did I use it no, but that seems easy to add and to have included in the new app.

For me, the one thing I noticed that did disappear is the complete functioning of the status commands. I like to check the status of windows etc every once in awhile. I opened everything and the new app identified everything but the sunroof. Connected drive did state my sunroof was open, so the functionality is there. This is minor, but I did actually use that feature. When it is 100F here all summer, I would sometimes leave the sunroof vent open. If storms were to approach I could check and close it. I can crack the windows since I have the weather tech window inserts to keep rain out, so this is an easy fix.

I also noticed that in the status feature it says oil ok, but no longer notes whether the tire pressure is ok. The feature to check for any recalls on your vehicles is missing or maybe I missed that?

Seems like destinations and the rest of the info is there and works. I think if the new UI works and if the app needs to be modernized that is great. If they hopefully will respond to feed back to make this better then maybe it is a win for all. Just my two cents worth after playing with both apps for a few days.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #29
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Did you expect any
Hehe not really.....😊

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:38 AM   #30
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
I also noticed that in the status feature it says oil ok, but no longer notes whether the tire pressure is ok.
Never seen that one before, in either app....

If you think about it - this is quite useless - if you had a flat tire before you last parked - you'd know it already. And the system is certainly not monitoring tyre pressure whilst parked So it is like "old news".

I hate the new UI though. WHY ON EARTH DO I NEED THAT "ALL GOOD" TEXT WITH ENORMOUS FONT RIGHT IN MY FACE? Taking literally half of the screen? Plus additional scrollable empty space above it?

I sort of expect everything to be "good" with my premium brand car... are BMW trying to manage expectations now? And if we all agree that the default should be that all is good, then I prefer to only be notified if something is not good.... smaller font would be fine too, no need for people on the bus passing by to be able to read it...

What's next - a huge text "YOUR BLINKERS ARE WORKING FINE!"? Good to know on a daily basis, indeed, thank you very much for letting me know......
      04-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #31
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]

This it the tyre option, I agree that it's usefulness is questionable, but still, it was nice to hace.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #32
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Ahh, you are right, I found it now on mine as well. Never paid attention to it before.
And you are correct - couldn't find it in the new app either.
      04-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #33
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahh, you are right, I found it now on mine as well. Never paid attention to it before.
And you are correct - couldn't find it in the new app either.
My point wasn't that it told me that I had a flat after the fact, but that it would alert me if it dropped say 6 lbs. So whether it was a weather issue (sudden cold temps) or my magnetic personality that seems to attract nails. Believe or not I have had probably 20-30 nails in my tires over the years (usually about 3-4 months after a hail storm when everyone's roof is being repaired). The point being that when I often picked up a nail the tire pressure dropped a bit until the nail sort of sealed itself in the tire. This did not always become obvious immediately and only over night did the issue develop. The app actually let me know. You are absolutely correct that it was not required and that one can live without that feature, since if it dropped below 28 or 30 lbs the car would tell me immediately upon starting.

You don't like the app screaming ALL GOOD!!! I take it that it is making my day by telling me "I am All GOOD!!!!". . Yes that is ridiculous and not needed. But it is interesting that it does not do it for all BMWs. My teen daughter drives my older 2016 X1 and for that vehicle there is no giant "ALL GOOD". There is just nothing written for that vehicle in the BMW app (in the my garage section, where I can switch between vehicles).

Honestly other than destinations, checking what is locked or unlocked, opened (and they screwed that up by forgetting the sunroof) and I guess when some service is due, I have not used the app much. When I have gone to cities and had to leave my car with a valet, I do check the location of my car to make sure there are no joy rides.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #34
jon26
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 2.0 320i Sport

Cheers for the heads up on the new app. I've let my subscription lapse as using the car a lot les. The thing I've missed the most was being able to find a destination on the phone and send it to the car. Now I have that back! 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #35
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

I can’t find access to my calendar in the new app. I used to send destinations from the calendar in the old app. My Bmw has access to my calendar.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #36
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Is it just me or is the system down?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #37
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I'd say - just you or your region.
      05-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #38
Weslsew
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35i

I am getting this message when trying to locate vehicle in the new app... what is the point of that? The old app no longer will locate my vehicle

Last edited by Weslsew; 05-13-2021 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #39
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

This is really odd. I checked - I am currently about 3km away from the vehicle and the old app is locating it just fine. No change from before.

The new one locates it as well, but clicking on the map, there is no map layer, just 2 dots on white background! Same when I switch to satellite map, the background just becomes grey. Irrespective of how much I zoom in or out…..
      05-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #40
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

For me, both apps show essentially the same map and identify me as a blue dot and my car as a weird circle with an arrow. I'm at work and within 1/4 mile of the car. I will try when I have a chance to see if there is an issue finding my car when I am a few miles from my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #41
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

Quote:

If you think about it - this is quite useless - if you had a flat tire before you last parked - you'd know it already. And the system is certainly not monitoring tyre pressure whilst parked So it is like "old news".

I hate the new UI though. WHY ON EARTH DO I NEED THAT "ALL GOOD" TEXT WITH ENORMOUS FONT RIGHT IN MY FACE? Taking literally half of the screen? Plus additional scrollable empty space above it?

I sort of expect everything to be "good" with my premium brand car... are BMW trying to manage expectations now? And if we all agree that the default should be that all is good, then I prefer to only be notified if something is not good.... smaller font would be fine too, no need for people on the bus passing by to be able to read it...

What's next - a huge text "YOUR BLINKERS ARE WORKING FINE!"? Good to know on a daily basis, indeed, thank you very much for letting me know......
This is what picking faults sounds like
I'm happy to see "All Good" as glance, as I usually have other things to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #42
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTee View Post
Quote:

I hate the new UI though. WHY ON EARTH DO I NEED THAT [SIZE="7"]"ALL GOOD"[/SIZE] TEXT WITH ENORMOUS FONT RIGHT IN MY FACE? Taking literally half of the screen? Plus additional scrollable empty space above it?

[SIZE="5"]This is what picking faults sounds like[/SIZE]
I'm happy to see "All Good" as glance, as I usually have other things to do.
So…. Unless you see it (at a glance, from the other room) - you are worried that it may not be ALL GOOD…? Wow.
      05-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #43
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

Quote:
So…. Unless you see it (at a glance, from the other room) - you are worried that it may not be ALL GOOD…? Wow.
Imagine something as simple as this: after I left my car in a supermarket car park, I suddenly wondered in the middle of shopping whether I'd locked the car or closed the window that was open earlier. By seeing "All Good", I'm happy and need to look no further. I'd suggest that you learn to use the app to understand properly what people are saying.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 12:50 AM   #44
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

What people? It is only a single person so far. And I have been using the old app for years, without the necessity for Elon Musk to be able to tell it is ALL GOOD with my car from Mars every time I open the app.

But thanks for the advice. And glad it works for you.