F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Any Other High-Mileage 328d's Out There?
GetBMWParts

12-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #265
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
I'm the third owner of my 2014 328d and I'm about to hit 47k miles. It hasn't been driven as much as it wants to be!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #266
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
It hasn't been driven
FTFY...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #267
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf100 View Post
rolled her over for the second time just outside Atlantic City, NJ yesterday.
NICE WORK! Any exciting news or does she just keep chugging along?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #268
coiedulci
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 ED

In Europe is different.
In Romania for example, the majority of cars with N47 engines have at least 150.000 km when they are imported from other Europe countries.

Lately a new practice occurred as a global practice based on people panic.
Many indie shops have strong advertisements on the Internet were they recommend replacement the all timing chains . That costs about 700$ ( parts + labor ) or 800$ or xDrive versions.

To be honest, i rarely seen a timing chain broken ( due to tensioner or whatever ).
AFAIK, the real timing chains problem for N47 were for units produced until 2011.

After 2014/2015, depending on the model, in Europe BMW introduced B47, which i highly doubt that has the same tensioner as the N47 from 2008-2009 have, the indie shops still recommend changing the entire timing kit.

So, short answer, a 300.000 km N47 is pretty usual in Eastern Europe.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #269
mrgolf100
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

200k on December 1.

Nothing crazy from a maintenance perspective. Oil changes every 10, keep the check engine light off and go from there. never changed the transmission fluid because i wasn't asked to. I trashed a bunch of transfer cases in the first 100k but apparently they figured that out with the 3rd one. i don't mistreat the car but i also don't do a bunch of preventative maintenance aside from whatever the computer in the car is calling for.
Appreciate 1
CleanKM103.50
      12-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #270
obiwantoby
Rep
Drives: 2015 328D Wagon

Seems like ownership is a bit boolean here. Either really good experience with expected Germaness or an awful experience. Slightly nervous.

Here is to hoping I'm onto a great experience Not many wagons to choose from out there, Regal TourX (Opel Insignia), Mercedes, Jaguar, Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:10 PM   #271
GSD
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf100 View Post
Nothing crazy from a maintenance perspective. Oil changes every 10, keep the check engine light off and go from there. never changed the transmission fluid because i wasn't asked to. I trashed a bunch of transfer cases in the first 100k but apparently they figured that out with the 3rd one. i don't mistreat the car but i also don't do a bunch of preventative maintenance aside from whatever the computer in the car is calling for.
Is it safe to say the updated transfer case in the 2015 onwards 328d are more reliable?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #272
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD View Post
Is it safe to say the updated transfer case in the 2015 onwards 328d are more reliable?
It's not necessarily the transfer case, but rather the flange coupling. The case and its internals itself doesn't seem to have many failures, but the output flange wear causing it to slip seems to be the common failure mode. LCI cars (MY2016 and later) have different couplings to reduce vibration and that failure mode.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
GSD0.00
      12-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #273
mrgolf100
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Transfer Case

I believe Farkle is right. My last transfer case was after 2016 and it's been fine since. Each time i went in i recall the invoice referencing a broken Flange
Appreciate 1
GSD0.00
      12-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #274
GSD
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta TDI

Good to know I am looking at a 2016 328d Xdrive manufactured 10/2015.

So the flange coupling should be ok on this model year?

Also, anything else to look out for as the car has 144,000 kms on it apart from a peeling steering wheel.

Thanks

Last edited by GSD; 12-29-2019 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 07:06 AM   #275
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone heard from "Grammarking"? I feel like his thump and car shutting off might have been his end at this forum sadly . He was so close to 200k!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #276
motomoore
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 328d M-Sport

Just purchased a 328d with 70,000kms. The in service date is Apr/2018. Probably one of the last to roll off the F30 line. This is going to be my main commuter car. Hoping to see 300,000kms out of it. N47T is a good mill. Gonna miss the Diesel cars in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #277
kingnothing9
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdrive

New to forum. I have a 2014 328d xdrive. I bought used July 2016 with 30,000 miles. Had just gone through dealer for new ads and rotors front and rear under warranty. I like the car but ridiculous amount of issues. Have 103,000 on it now. I have a 75 mile commute daily, almost entirely highway. 75mph and fairly aggressive. So far under warranty they’ve replaced a rear axle seal, all 4 door locks, a seat belt, and taillight. Since it went out of warranty at 50,000, I had to replace torque struts on both sides, $1400, a fuel tube, $600, and it’s currently sitting in the dealer for a string of emission issues. I’ve taken it to dealer for all scheduled maintenance. Twice I brought it in for suspected EGR cooler failure under recall. First time they said was fine, typical to lose antifreeze. Second time went into limp mode they told me cooler was leaking but not recall because leaking externally. Also had to clean intake manifold and valves. Drove 2 days went into limp again. Towed in again said it was turbo pressure sensor, $150. Got 3 miles from dealer CEL on again. Went back been there since. They said first NOX sensors, under warranty. Then cat, $2800. At that point I stopped and called BMWNA. So far they said might give me a little discount. I’m seriously considering taking the car home and ordering the full exhaust and tune kit from Tune My Euro in Georgia. Ridiculous that 100,000 mile car whole emission system failing. I have an 05 duramax and have had Chevy diesels for 20 years. I know not the same but this is ridiculous that a $55,000 car BMW won’t stand behind their poor design.
Any suggestions, advise, recommendations would be great.
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      01-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #278
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnothing9 View Post
New to forum. I have a 2014 328d xdrive. I bought used July 2016 with 30,000 miles. Had just gone through dealer for new ads and rotors front and rear under warranty. I like the car but ridiculous amount of issues. Have 103,000 on it now. I have a 75 mile commute daily, almost entirely highway. 75mph and fairly aggressive. So far under warranty they've replaced a rear axle seal, all 4 door locks, a seat belt, and taillight. Since it went out of warranty at 50,000, I had to replace torque struts on both sides, $1400, a fuel tube, $600, and it's currently sitting in the dealer for a string of emission issues. I've taken it to dealer for all scheduled maintenance. Twice I brought it in for suspected EGR cooler failure under recall. First time they said was fine, typical to lose antifreeze. Second time went into limp mode they told me cooler was leaking but not recall because leaking externally. Also had to clean intake manifold and valves. Drove 2 days went into limp again. Towed in again said it was turbo pressure sensor, $150. Got 3 miles from dealer CEL on again. Went back been there since. They said first NOX sensors, under warranty. Then cat, $2800. At that point I stopped and called BMWNA. So far they said might give me a little discount. I'm seriously considering taking the car home and ordering the full exhaust and tune kit from Tune My Euro in Georgia. Ridiculous that 100,000 mile car whole emission system failing. I have an 05 duramax and have had Chevy diesels for 20 years. I know not the same but this is ridiculous that a $55,000 car BMW won't stand behind their poor design.
Any suggestions, advise, recommendations would be great.
I'm sorry to hear of all the issues you've encountered. I have a 14 328d as well with 47,000 miles on it. I had a NOX sensor fail and suspected an EGR cooler issue, but the dealer said it was fine. Other than that, no issues.

At what mileage did you start experiencing your issues?i completely agree this should not be happening and it sounds like the dealer has been less than helpful so far. Hopefully BMWNA can help further.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #279
kingnothing9
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdrive

I had the fuel tube issue around 80,000 miles. Also the torque struts same time.
Around the same time the recall came out for the EGR cooler my car started smelling like diesel and I got a CEL and low coolant light. Literally within a couple days of letter this happened. Exact symptoms in letter. Took car to dealer and they checked it said cooler is ok, “cars lose antifreeze normally”. I called BS, they were unwilling to look further. I figured ok let it catch on fire I have the paper says they okayed it. In Nov 19 at 100,000 I left it at dealer for maintenance. Asked specifically about trans fluid and diesel fuel filter. Was told not time for filter and tranny is lifetime. ?! When I picked it up they said they submitted pics of EGR cooler to BMW NA and they said cooler is fine no replacement. Took car home was on vacation so drove very little for a couple weeks. Once I started driving again, around 3rd week of November. Started getting CEL and limp mode warning. Came and went couple times then went into limp mode Nov. 22. Towed to dealer they told me first cracked tube after turbo. Picked it up Nov. 28. Bill said replaced EGR cooler and removed intake cleaned and cleaned valves. Exactly what would be done for recall, except they’d put in a new intake not clean it. I said why am I paying for recall everyone is getting for free. They said recall is for internal leak I had external. $1300 Left drove car to work 3 days went into limp driving home third day. Towed to dealer. They said turbo pressure sensor. $125
Picked car up. Drove for couple days went into limp. Towed in. Now they said NOX sensor. Under warranty. Picked car up drove 3 miles CEL light came on. Took back. Couple days later they said catalytic convertor. $2800. Still at dealer while I try to get BMW NA to do something.
I think that my cooler has been leaking since I first brought it in and the antifreeze wiped out the sensors and convertor.

Last edited by kingnothing9; 01-07-2020 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Incomplete
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      01-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #280
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had the fuel tube issue around 80,000 miles. Also the torque struts same time.
Around the same time the recall came out for the EGR cooler my car started smelling like diesel and I got a CEL and low coolant light. Literally within a couple days of letter this happened. Exact symptoms in letter. Took car to dealer and they checked it said cooler is ok, “cars lose antifreeze normally”. I called BS, they were unwilling to look further. I figured ok let it catch on fire I have the paper says they okayed it. In Nov 19 at 100,000 I left it at dealer for maintenance. Asked specifically about trans fluid and diesel fuel filter. Was told not time for filter and tranny is lifetime. ?! When I picked it up they said they submitted pics of EGR cooler to BMW NA and they said cooler is fine no replacement. Took car home was on vacation so drove very little for a couple weeks. Once I started driving again, around 3rd week of November. Started getting CEL and limp mode warning. Came and went couple times then went into limp mode Nov. 22. Towed to dealer they told me first cracked tube after turbo. Picked it up Nov. 28. Bill said replaced EGR cooler and removed intake cleaned and cleaned valves. Exactly what would be done for recall, except they’d put in a new intake not clean it. I said why am I paying for recall everyone is getting for free. They said recall is for internal leak I had external. $1300 Left drove car to work 3 days went into limp driving home third day. Towed to dealer. They said turbo pressure sensor. $125
Picked car up. Drove for couple days went into limp. Towed in. Now they said NOX sensor. Under warranty. Picked car up drove 3 miles CEL light came on. Took back. Couple days later they said catalytic convertor. $2800. Still at dealer while I try to get BMW NA to do something.
I think that my cooler has been leaking since I first brought it in and the antifreeze wiped out the sensors and convertor.
Reading the details of your situation is making me frustrated that they aren't helping you, it's almost no loss to them to service your EGR cooler as a recall and now look what's happened. This is excellent detail you've captured; if the dealer won't help, I have to imagine BMW NA will do something to compensate you. Make sure to keep all service records, receipts, and a timeline of events, as I'm sure you've already done. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #281
Experimental
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M-sport Wagon

Quote:
I’m seriously considering taking the car home and ordering the full exhaust and tune kit from Tune My Euro in Georgia. Ridiculous that 100,000 mile car whole emission system failing.
Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry this is happening. But I will say...you have more patience than I do. I dealt with my local dealership twice on an emissions related issue on my 2014 328d, and due to their response (or lack of), I went ahead and took my car to Tune My Euro...luckily they are local to me.

They sorted it out in one visit and the car has never operated better. Highly recommended. Andrew and his team are awesome.
      03-06-2020, 06:05 AM   #282
n8ronj
Registered
Rep

Brand new to the forum. I've been doing some light research and stumbled on this thread. My 328d is only at 66k so not high mileage. I would rather DIY on my car when I can in order to save on costs and get to know more about my car. I've had it for 3 years and haven't needed to do much other than maintenance. However in the next few days I'll be pulling the intake to clean it out because of a code for the swirl flap actuator. After doing that job I need to change the downstream oxygen sensor.
This isn't my first diesel. I had a 2003 Jetta TDI for 8 years and learned quite a bit.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 07:01 AM   #283
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8ronj View Post
Brand new to the forum. I've been doing some light research and stumbled on this thread. My 328d is only at 66k so not high mileage. I would rather DIY on my car when I can in order to save on costs and get to know more about my car. I've had it for 3 years and haven't needed to do much other than maintenance. However in the next few days I'll be pulling the intake to clean it out because of a code for the swirl flap actuator. After doing that job I need to change the downstream oxygen sensor.
This isn't my first diesel. I had a 2003 Jetta TDI for 8 years and learned quite a bit.
Welcome!
I'd be curious of the condition of the manifold, as I don't think it would be very dirty. It could be the actuator itself having a failure. What is the exact code?

Fellow ALH owner here too.
There aren't terribly hard to diy on.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #284
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8ronj View Post
Take some pictures of your carbon build up. I am interested!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:06 AM   #285
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had the fuel tube issue around 80,000 miles.
Might be a dumb question. What is the fuel tube issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #286
n8ronj
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Welcome!
I'd be curious of the condition of the manifold, as I don't think it would be very dirty. It could be the actuator itself having a failure. What is the exact code?

Fellow ALH owner here too.
There aren't terribly hard to diy on.
On the print out I got from the collision shop it said:
ECM 1.253400 Swirl Flap Actuator Open Too Wide

SCR 1.8051B5 Return Pump: Taught-In Volume Outside the Permitted Range

These two codes did not cause a hard light to come on. The SCR one went away I guess but the Swirl Flap one did not. I know I'm vague on the details - I will hopefully gain more info when the Foxwell NT530 arrives in a couple days.

I'm guessing the the actuator is stuck open..? It really wouldn't surprise me given that the car mostly goes short distances. I got it 3 years ago when I had a 60 mile RT commute to work. My wife works from home and I mostly drive my truck for the 7.5 mile RT commute. So, I am not surprised about any carbon build up that might be there. I will hopefully remember to take some pictures and report on my experience. My plan is to start this next weekend on 3/13/20.

I terribly regret selling my ALH Jetta. I really miss that car even with all of the quirks and issues it had.
Appreciate 0