F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Transmission "Supercharger" whine?
Studio RSR

03-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #23
Anthonyd335
Rep
Drives: 15’ Bmw 335i

I got the same noise after a fluid and filter change. I used launch control and the transmission acted funny and made a loud whining sound. Guess it’s time for a new transmission??? Sounds like that’s what everyone is saying.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 06:04 PM   #24
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

On my '13 N55 PWG I've had that transmission noise since I got the car in '16 but ONLY when the heater is turned on. Call me crazy but yea, if the heat knob is turned red and the fan is on low I hear it.
      04-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #25
Fthree6mafia
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i Gran Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbread View Post
On my '13 N55 PWG I've had that transmission noise since I got the car in '16 but ONLY when the heater is turned on. Call me crazy but yea, if the heat knob is turned red and the fan is on low I hear it.
I've always had the heater whine, but just got the transmission/possibly rear dif whine when I just had the engine replaced at 63.5k miles, so i believe you're referencing a separate noise. I've never worried much about the whine when heat is on, and have not tested to see if it's still there since the new engine (it's now warm enough for it not to come on), but the new "supercharger" whine is a little concerning. Hope to hear back from the dealership that replaced the engine soon, but hoping it's the dif so I can get an LSD . Car definitely needs it, especially with FBO and tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 05:06 PM   #26
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

Who else has experienced this phenomenon?

Nearly four years on and 30k+ miles on, I still haven't gotten to the bottom of it. Not that I mind, as it's been flawless, but peace of mind

I changed the transmission fluid when I first got it, but that didn't seem to change anything. I've never gotten a professional technician's opinion, but considering I'll be doing the oil & transmission fluid again in January, I figure I'd ask and have him change the differential too. Unless someone suggests otherwise.
Appreciate 0