F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin or Pirelli
proTUNING Freaks

05-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #23
JNMNL52
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440ix 2018 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I've had non-runflats for almost three years. I've never had a flat tire. I've hit potholes that would have surely damaged a runflat. I replaced a couple of runflats with pothole damage before I ditched them. The go-flats are softer so they handle potholes without damage.

Although I haven't had a flat, about once a year I pick up a nail that gives me a slow leak. The TPMS system tells me that I have a low tire. I fill it up and if it's low again in a couple of days then I take it to my local tire shop. They find the nail, patch it from the inside and I'm on my way.

I carry a Slime Kit with a compressor which I've never had to use, a scissor jack that fits the BMW jack pads, a 24" harbor freight breaker bar and a 17mm wheel removal socket.

On trips I carry a full sized spare consisting of a used BMW 400M wheel that I bought for $125 and one of my old runflat tires that is not worn. It has the same 26.0 diameter as my performance tires.

The spare is in a tire bag which makes it easy to belt in on the backseat to hide trip luggage in the trunk.

A space saver spare would only save me about three inches of storage on top of the spare in the trunk. A space saver is the same 26" diameter so it takes up the same trunk floor space.

On a trip, the 50 mile limit of the space saver would interrupt my trip by forcing me to immediately search for a tire shop to repair or replace my tire. That ain't gonna be successful on a Sunday night in the rain somewhere! A full size spare would allow me to complete my journey and find a tire shop at my death when it's convenient. If I need a tire, then TireRack can ship me the exact tire that I need in 1-2 days.
OK, thanks. I guess we take our chances with either RFT's or non-RFT's. If I went with non-RFT's I would at least need a BMW slime/inflator kit. Will give it some more thought. Thanks for your responses!
johnung4525.00