F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech F30 Power Trunk Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

02-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #221
Vojta89
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2 Competition

Finally installed my BimmerTech Power Trunk retrofit

Just a few points from instalation:
1) Be very careful with every bolt and nut, I dropped one bolt somewhere around car battery, couldn't find it with magnet, even take the battery out, but it disappeared I had same one at home, everything ended well
2) I have F30 LCI, the hole where the original spring was placed in the trunk beam has some copper insert (not sure if it was copper, but it was metalic and had same colour as copper), so it's smaller than the bolt that should go through, had to remove the insert (not really easy) - probably just LCI problem
3) The mounting on the other end of the new mechanical spring - in the video is straight plate with thread, the real shape of this part is different than in the instruction video, it's L shaped snd is a bit shorter, so you have to insert if from the other side (in video it's from top left, real product is fabricated to put from top right corner) and you cannot drop it through the hole (thanks to it L shape)
4) Don't put the trunk button right in the middle of that two holes, but put it closer to the left hole (closer to center of trunk)
5) Setting of the height of trunk lid opening is very easy - manualy set the trunk lid on the place you want to open and hold it there, than press and hold the close button (in idle mode it lights orange) and wait until it flashes (cca 5 seconds) - done!

At the end I have to say, that everything is very well fabricated, the package is perfectly packed and that it was very easy to install!! BimmerTech guys - good job!!!

PS: Sorry for my english, don't use it often
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #222
Reigate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vojta89 View Post

1) Be very careful with every bolt and nut, I dropped one bolt somewhere around car battery, couldn't find it with magnet, even take the battery out, but it disappeared I had same one at home, everything ended well
2) I have F30 LCI, the hole where the original spring was placed in the trunk beam has some copper insert (not sure if it was copper, but it was metalic and had same colour as copper), so it's smaller than the bolt that should go through, had to remove the insert (not really easy) - probably just LCI problem
3) The mounting on the other end of the new mechanical spring - in the video is straight plate with thread, the real shape of this part is different than in the instruction video, it's L shaped snd is a bit shorter, so you have to insert if from the other side (in video it's from top left, real product is fabricated to put from top right corner) and you cannot drop it through the hole (thanks to it L shape)
4) Don't put the trunk button right in the middle of that two holes, but put it closer to the left hole (closer to center of trunk)
5) Setting of the height of trunk lid opening is very easy - manualy set the trunk lid on the place you want to open and hold it there, than press and hold the close button (in idle mode it lights orange) and wait until it flashes (cca 5 seconds) - done!

At the end I have to say, that everything is very well fabricated, the package is perfectly packed and that it was very easy to install!! BimmerTech guys - good job!!!

Thanks you for your post as Para 5 methadology fixed my problem.

I had the same problem with the foward spring hole and gave away trying to drill it out and ended up getting a 10mm bolt and nylock instead of using the one supplied.

Re Para 4, mine was centered between the two holes and it fitted but the orientation of the template is important as if it is the wrong way around, it suspect that it will interfere with the underlying boot structure. I used a Dremel clone to cut the hole which was a lot easier than doing it via a sharp blade.

Thanks again for fixing my problem and your English is fine!

Regards, Stephen

Last edited by Reigate; 02-09-2017 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 05:42 AM   #223
Bich
Registered
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i xDrive

Is group buy still on the table? Please PM, Need price.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #224
str86diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Alpine White

Also interested in the GB. Please PM price
      02-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #225
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fanatics View Post
Can you PM group buy price shipped to Canada, also would the second button next to the trunk closure work if I have comfort access.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bich View Post
Is group buy still on the table? Please PM, Need price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by str86diesel View Post
Also interested in the GB. Please PM price
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #226
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Group BUY #2 :

1. Thanos-PAID
2. Vojta89-PAID
3. XxJeffxX-PAID
4. Kenniey-PAID
5. WilliWP-PAID
6. WilliWP-PAID
7. WilliWP-PAID
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #227
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedchung View Post
Just installed mine but the trunk won't open completely.
It might be better to email us at support(at)bimmer-tech.net and show us a picture/video of the issue and we will help you.

One thing you could try is to open the trunk and when it opens just manually adjust the hight. Then hold the lock button (the one you installed in trunk lid carpet) for 4-5 seconds and test it again.
Just to clarify......

you don't hold down the lock button (the button with the lock symbol) to adjust the travel of the trunk lid, but rather, you hold down the button that actually opens and closes the trunk lid to set the travel (until the button backlight flashes).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #228
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vojta89 View Post

With regard to #2, you are correct. It is not limited to the LCI models, though.

See below....if you zoom into the picture you'll see that the hole on the bracket does not line up well with the hole in the trunk lid arm.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7C18B9EDAF.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #229
Jetsurly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive Sport Line

Very interested! PM price please
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 04:22 AM   #230
Vojta89
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Just to clarify......

you don't hold down the lock button (the button with the lock symbol) to adjust the travel of the trunk lid, but rather, you hold down the button that actually opens and closes the trunk lid to set the travel (until the button backlight flashes).
Exactly as you said - hold down the button that actually opens and close the trunk lid for 5 seconds (until the button backlight flashes)

Quote:
With regard to #2, you are correct. It is not limited to the LCI models, though.

See below....if you zoom into the picture you'll see that the hole on the bracket does not line up well with the hole in the trunk lid arm.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7C18B9EDAF.jpg[/IMG]
Yeah, it does not line up well, but even without the black bracket the original bolt cannot go through. I removed the insert and without it the original bolt fits perfectly (still not lined up well).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 06:59 AM   #231
abn00
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F30

Group Buy Price

I am interested. Please add me in
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #232
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn00 View Post
I am interested. Please add me in
PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #233
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

So after installing my kit last week Saturday, it stopped working on Thursday.The lock will not unlock and have had to open the boot using the emergency release from inside the boot.I re-installed the original latch and this works as normal.Have been in contact with Bimmertech support and they have asked me to go through various tests and checks and still no luck. The retrofitted Latch will just not unlock , it locks fine with the soft close feature but once locked it won't unlock using the boot release in the car on the boot handle or the remote.Have also had to do a bunch of voltage checks on the latch connection in various modes the lock has been in.

just waiting for tech support to get back to me now on way forward.I hope this problem is resolved quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #234
TheFrench
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 MSport Xdrive

Hi,

Not reassuring all this, I have not yet mounted on my car next week
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #235
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Just to clarify......

That's correct. I meant the button that closes the trunk. The button with the lock symbol does nothing...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #236
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed608 View Post
So after installing my kit last week Saturday, it stopped working on Thursday.The lock will not unlock and have had to open the boot using the emergency release from inside the boot.I re-installed the original latch and this works as normal.Have been in contact with Bimmertech support and they have asked me to go through various tests and checks and still no luck. The retrofitted Latch will just not unlock , it locks fine with the soft close feature but once locked it won't unlock using the boot release in the car on the boot handle or the remote.Have also had to do a bunch of voltage checks on the latch connection in various modes the lock has been in.

just waiting for tech support to get back to me now on way forward.I hope this problem is resolved quickly.
You are in good hands. I am sure the support team will figure it out soon...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #237
TheFrench
Private
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 MSport Xdrive

It is a problem of the lock or the control module ?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #238
abn00
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F30

Group buy price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
PM sent.
I didnt get the pm
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #239
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrench View Post
It is a problem of the lock or the control module ?
Yeah I think that's what the Tech is trying to narrow down , but the bad news for me is that all the tests I have to go through.LOL

The other issue is I'm a bit anal with neatness and having to leave my boot bare and naked without all the coverings is driving me up the wall.

Hopefully it will be sorted soon enough and the faulty unit will be shipped out to me once we know what it could be.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #240
Jason954x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

Quote:
Group BUY #2 :

1. Thanos-PAID
2. Vojta89-PAID
3. XxJeffxX-PAID
4. Kenniey-PAID
5. WilliWP-PAID
6. WilliWP-PAID
7. WilliWP-PAID
I would like to piggyback of the 2nd group buy, but I have a few questions.
1) Any update from the F32 tester?
2) What's the cost with the group buy?
3) Will issue a refund if it doesn't work on my F32?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #241
Lefo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i

Quote:
Yes, PM sent.
me too. I"m from canada. thx
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #242