F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unique-AD Wireless CarPlay
proTUNING Freaks

05-13-2019, 06:09 AM   #111
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318d F30 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by steker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC
Also, strange tip: you can change the BMW icon to other brands icon, from carplay settings (it asks for a pin, it's 1123). No reason to do that, just saying xD
How.... do you know all these things

Maybe you know the following too, is there a way to turn off the steering wheel controls? Right now I have the following setup:

- Bluetooth: BMW iDrive
- Wifi: CarPlay
- Google Maps, Waze, etc: CarPlay (no sound, because BMW iDrive Bluetooth is selected and not AUX, which is fine, because normally I have these apps muted too)
- Phone: BMW iDrive audio and mic (but using the CarPlay Phone app to control it)
- Spotify: BMW iDrive Bluetooth audio (but using CarPlay Spotify app to control it)
- Radio: BMW iDrive normal radio

The reason I chose this setup is because the audio quality of the CarPlay unit is really bad in comparison to iDrive Bluetooth, so I really want to keep using Spotify, radio and phone the traditional way. Luckily in CarPlay you can still control your Phone and Spotify even though they are connected through Bluetooth with iDrive.

I always have the CarPlay screen showing. But when I for instance want to change the radio station, I use the steering wheel controls. When I scroll through the radio stations in the small info screen between the meters, the cursor in CarPlay also moves. And obviously when I want to select the radio station by clicking it, it also clicks the app or button that is selected in CarPlay. Same for selecting the next song in Spotify.

Now I just either back out of CarPlay to quickly switch radio station or use the iDrive controller to select a Spotify song in Now Playing or the CarPlay Spotify app. But it would be great if the steering wheel buttons would only work for iDrive and not CarPlay. Have you found a way to make that work?
I've been using this unit since january and it didn't had steering wheel control before, it has been introduced with an update. Maybe you can ask them to make a custom update for you that disables it! One question, I had the same setup you have in the past, but decided to do everything with aux at the end because when using siri, it had issues with mic. Does it work fine now? You can use siri and then call someone and the mic works?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #112
Atchoo
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Quote:
Did they tell you what switch number 4 actually does? It's called Tracking ON/OFF, but what does it mean in this context? My setup is:

1: OFF (8.8" screen)
4: OFF (Tracking ON)
8: OFF (Aftermarket Camera, even though I don't have a camera, just OEM PDC)

Mine goes from CarPlay to iDrive PDC when I put it in Reverse and back to CarPlay when I put it in Neutral or Drive.
No they didn't tell me what it does, they told my to try the following:

1: ON (6.5" screen)
4: ON
8: OFF <- Although this doesn't seem to do anything for me.

I want mine to function like yours, do you have a manual transmission or automatic? That's the question they asked me before suggesting the number 4 dipswitch change.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #113
steker
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
I've been using this unit since january and it didn't had steering wheel control before, it has been introduced with an update. Maybe you can ask them to make a custom update for you that disables it! One question, I had the same setup you have in the past, but decided to do everything with aux at the end because when using siri, it had issues with mic. Does it work fine now? You can use siri and then call someone and the mic works?
Aaah, so they could do that. I might ask them then. Again, great tip

I can test the mic some more, because I'm still not a 100% sure which mic is being used in which ocassion. But I can tell you that I have Media sound set to BMW iDrive Bluetooth instead of AUX, my phone is only connected to BMW iDrive via Bluetooth and when I am in CarPlay and for instance open WhatsApp, I hear Siri reading my messages in Dutch over the speakers and I can reply to Siri in Dutch in CarPlay and all works fine.
When I then make a phone call from CarPlay it also works over the iDrive Bluetooth connection. That's why I assume it's always using the OEM mic instead of the CarPlay mic in this setup. Also because Siri also works over the OEM mic when you don't have CarPlay. But I can simply make sure by calling my wife and talk very loudly in one of the mics But yeah, I haven't had any issues yet.

What kind of problems did you encounter?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #114
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atchoo
No they didn't tell me what it does, they told my to try the following:

1: ON (6.5" screen)
4: ON
8: OFF <- Although this doesn't seem to do anything for me.

I want mine to function like yours, do you have a manual transmission or automatic? That's the question they asked me before suggesting the number 4 dipswitch change.
I have an automatic transmission. So when I first installed it, I didn't know about the dip switches and had the issue of a black screen when putting my car in reverse. Actually, my switch 4 was set to ON and I turned it OFF, together with 8 (which was also ON and I turned it OFF too) and now everything seems to work fine. So step 1 will be to check how yours is actually set and then try different combinations and putting your car in reverse. I did the same thing, before closing up all the dashboard panels again.

Is yours easily accessible? Did you install it under the iDrive unit or also in the empty space next to the glove box compartment?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 08:13 AM   #115
Atchoo
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Quote:
I have an automatic transmission. So when I first installed it, I didn't know about the dip switches and had the issue of a black screen when putting my car in reverse. Actually, my switch 4 was set to ON and I turned it OFF, together with 8 (which was also ON and I turned it OFF too) and now everything seems to work fine. So step 1 will be to check how yours is actually set and then try different combinations and putting your car in reverse. I did the same thing, before closing up all the dashboard panels again.

Is yours easily accessible? Did you install it under the iDrive unit or also in the empty space next to the glove box compartment?
I have it under the iDrive (The HU_CHAMP2 is very small like HU_ENTRY) so testing should be easy enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #116
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
How.... do you know all these things

Maybe you know the following too, is there a way to turn off the steering wheel controls? Right now I have the following setup:
Have you tried OEM USB to stream music?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #117
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atchoo
I have it under the iDrive (The HU_CHAMP2 is very small like HU_ENTRY) so testing should be easy enough.
Perfect. That will be fairly easy then to try out. I hope it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues
Have you tried OEM USB to stream music?
I have not, because I waited for and bought this version solely because it's wireless and widescreen. I actually never have my phone connected by cable or charging in the car, also not before I bought this CarPlay unit. But I can try to hear if the audio quality over USB is still as bad as Bluetooth to find out if it's the audio chip or the Bluetooth chip in Unique's unit that is of lower quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #118
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Aaah, so they could do that. I might ask them then. Again, great tip

I can test the mic some more, because I'm still not a 100% sure which mic is being used in which ocassion. But I can tell you that I have Media sound set to BMW iDrive Bluetooth instead of AUX, my phone is only connected to BMW iDrive via Bluetooth and when I am in CarPlay and for instance open WhatsApp, I hear Siri reading my messages in Dutch over the speakers and I can reply to Siri in Dutch in CarPlay and all works fine.
When I then make a phone call from CarPlay it also works over the iDrive Bluetooth connection. That's why I assume it's always using the OEM mic instead of the CarPlay mic in this setup. Also because Siri also works over the OEM mic when you don't have CarPlay. But I can simply make sure by calling my wife and talk very loudly in one of the mics But yeah, I haven't had any issues yet.

What kind of problems did you encounter?
It wasn't a stable setup. I was able to listen music thru bluetooth and make calls, but when I called up siri, it switched the audio to aux and mic to carplay and from that moment I wasn't able to listen or say anything until I selected bluetooth in iphone audio output from control center...
Appreciate 1
ooshnoo877.50
      05-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #119
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC View Post
It wasn't a stable setup. I was able to listen music thru bluetooth and make calls, but when I called up siri, it switched the audio to aux and mix to carplay and from that moment I wasn't able to do listen or say anything until I selected bluetooth in iphone audio output from control center...
So it wasn't just me! I knew I couldn't be the only one fiddling with iphone audio output.

I hope some kind of update makes it a bit easier to use.

05-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #120
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
It wasn't a stable setup. I was able to listen music thru bluetooth and make calls, but when I called up siri, it switched the audio to aux and mic to carplay and from that moment I wasn't able to listen or say anything until I selected bluetooth in iphone audio output from control center...
I have to say that the following situation gets messy for me:

1. I'm in CarPlay
2. I get a call
3. I answer the call with the Phone button on my steering wheel
4. All works fine, sound over speakers, OEM mic, but still CarPlay call interface

But...

1. I'm in CarPlay
2. I get a call
3. I answer the call with the iDrive controller by selecting the answer icon in CarPlay
4. No audio, but caller can hear me

In that case the phone automatically changes from BMW Bluetooth to CarPlay Bluetooth and therefore using the CarPlay mic. But because the audio source in Media is BMW Bluetooth and not AUX, I don't hear the caller. So I either have to switch on the phone to BMW again or change the audio in iDrive Media to AUX.

If only the sound was the same quality I would live completely in CarPlay.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 02:43 AM   #121
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
That's what I did to get a better audio quality.
- Set aux level to +8
- Set carplay EQ to Classic
- Set idrive EQ to reduce lows and increase highs. Adjust these to the point you're liking it.

Keep in mind that you won't get the same audi quality as bluetooth or usb audio. The best you can do is to try to get it closer to it.
OK, new experiment. I've played around with the CarPlay EQ (I'm using Classic too now) and changed the setting in the BMW EQ (lower bass, higher treble, slightly lower lows and slightly higher highs), upped the AUX volume and the sound is pretty good now. So I'm going to try to solely use CarPlay for a couple of days. I've disconnected / forgot the BMW Bluetooth, set the Media output to AUX, let's see how it goes.

I also added my wife's phone to CarPlay wirelessly and it works. I did turn off Wifi and Bluetooth on my phone just so it wouldn't interfere in the pairing process. Another experiment will be to see what happens the next time I get in my car alone. And then the next step will be to see what happens when we both get in the car the same time.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #122
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

@steker

I've talked with Unique about your request of the option to disable steering wheel control. They told me that yes, it's a software option, not hardware, but it's deeply hardcoded in the software so it can't be enabled or disabled with a toggle in settings. So it's a no, too complex to enable or disable. They suggested to use apps to listen fm radio (streaming), that's what I do and works fine. There are apps on the appstore that offer carplay functionality, you can scroll fm radio stations in carplay and listen them. Obviously it uses internet data to listen, it's not real fm.
Appreciate 1
ooshnoo877.50
      05-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #123
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
@steker

I've talked with Unique about your request of the option to disable steering wheel control. They told me that yes, it's a software option, not hardware, but it's deeply hardcoded in the software so it can't be enabled or disabled with a toggle in settings. So it's a no, too complex to enable or disable. They suggested to use apps to listen fm radio (streaming), that's what I do and works fine. There are apps on the appstore that offer carplay functionality, you can scroll fm radio stations in carplay and listen them. Obviously it uses internet data to listen, it's not real fm.
Hey Alberto... have they given any hints and to what changes might be included in any update they might release soon?

05-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #124
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Quote:
@steker

Hey Alberto... have they given any hints and to what changes might be included in any update they might release soon?
No hints, I only asked to fix a bug with front camera view, as it doesn't save the On toggle option so every time it reboots it needs to be re enabled and they said they're working on it.

Some time ago I requested a feature, which I don't remember right now, but they told me they were busy working on new updates. Didn't tell me anything about them, though
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #125
Phips_23
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

Hi all, I am totally new in this forum and also want to retrofit my car with carplay. When doing research I found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Afte...9a2b3c00koPldv it seems pretty new, so I wanted to ask if anyone knows which manufacturer is producing it and if someone has any experience. On the box it says "Limcet Box" but I couldn't find anything.

I am also thinking whats the better option: Retrofit to BMW NBT Evo ID 5 / 6 with atm or just build in one of this boxes. Would be great if you could provide some feedback.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #126
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC;
Really nice of you to check that with them! You are in good contact with them. You also actually drove to them to let them install it for you, right? Too bad there is no solution, but I would be a bit afraid also to flash it with a custom software version. If it was a simple setting they could add to the menu that would be great, but that's a no go then.

I will try to go all-in on CarPlay mode. I've unpaired my phone with BMW iDrive and am now fully connected with the CarPlay unit. Sound is decent now after the EQ tweaks and no confusing situations when answering phone calls with the wrong button. I use Tunein Radio so I can listen to all my local stations through their app. Let's see how this all goes. My wife actually is also in full CarPlay mode, but when I called her there was a significant delay. Maybe that was a one time thing, I will test some more.

Do you know if Unique is also working on updating the firmware? Sometimes when you start your car it can't find CarPlay at all (no Wifi or Bluetooth) and sometimes it can find it but just doesn't connect. It has only happened 2 times to me and 1 time for my wife, but still annoying obviously. Do you know how they would distribute an update? Would they let us know there is an update or will they only send it when you request it?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #127
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phips_23 View Post
Hi all, I am totally new in this forum and also want to retrofit my car with carplay. When doing research I found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Afte...9a2b3c00koPldv it seems pretty new, so I wanted to ask if anyone knows which manufacturer is producing it and if someone has any experience. On the box it says "Limcet Box" but I couldn't find anything.

I am also thinking whats the better option: Retrofit to BMW NBT Evo ID 5 / 6 with atm or just build in one of this boxes. Would be great if you could provide some feedback.
I suggest you start a new discussion rather than thread jacking this one. You'll most likely get a larger audience...especially those folks who have installed other carplay solutions.

05-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #128
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Sound is decent now after the EQ tweaks and no confusing situations when answering phone calls with the wrong button.
Do you have BimmerCode app? If so, you may want to try the Bang and Olufsen EQ settings. It's on my list to do sooner than later, just haven'td found the time to devote to it yet.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1594062

05-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #129
Rathian
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW iX3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathian View Post
I have the exact same scenario except my audio keeps losing something after a while. Have played around with the wiring and from initial investigation appears to be a loose or damaged wire in part of the loom. Unique have sent a replacement I just need to switch it out and check to see if it's fixed.

When the sound works I to am happy with the quality.
Update on this, Unique sent me out a replacement wiring loom that contained the power and Aux plugs, swapped the cables over and have made 5 decent length journeys since Sunday and the sound has been perfect.

In the same period I have only had the one No Signal issue whereas before it was nearly everyone I got in the car and getting no joy using the reset button. Looks like the new loom has improved this issue and solved the audio problems.
      05-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #130
steker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Do you have BimmerCode app? If so, you may want to try the Bang and Olufsen EQ settings. It's on my list to do sooner than later, just haven'td found the time to devote to it yet.

It's an impressive read that thread. Thanks for pointing that out. I don't have the app, but let me know how it is for you. I might have to dive in if you are satisfied with the result
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #131
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC;
Really nice of you to check that with them! You are in good contact with them. You also actually drove to them to let them install it for you, right? Too bad there is no solution, but I would be a bit afraid also to flash it with a custom software version. If it was a simple setting they could add to the menu that would be great, but that's a no go then.

I will try to go all-in on CarPlay mode. I've unpaired my phone with BMW iDrive and am now fully connected with the CarPlay unit. Sound is decent now after the EQ tweaks and no confusing situations when answering phone calls with the wrong button. I use Tunein Radio so I can listen to all my local stations through their app. Let's see how this all goes. My wife actually is also in full CarPlay mode, but when I called her there was a significant delay. Maybe that was a one time thing, I will test some more.

Do you know if Unique is also working on updating the firmware? Sometimes when you start your car it can't find CarPlay at all (no Wifi or Bluetooth) and sometimes it can find it but just doesn't connect. It has only happened 2 times to me and 1 time for my wife, but still annoying obviously. Do you know how they would distribute an update? Would they let us know there is an update or will they only send it when you request it?
I'm from Italy and they're in uk so I did install it myself.. but I've been like the first one to try it as I bought it before it got released in late january. I've been in touch with them since then as I found a lot of issues which have been addressed thanks to my reports. I've been the guinea pig for your units that now are waaaay better then my january unit. I've found every possible problem you may find on this unit (and tried to sort it out, discovering also strange unrelated things like the bmw icon change) so I know a lot about it now!

About the software update, you need to ask them to send it to you, they send you a small file that needs to be copied in a usb key (formatted in fat32) and plugged in the microusb (with an otg adapter) in the "update" port of the carplay unit. Then you click the reset button, wait the led to flash quickly and then when it stays still, you just unplug the usb key and the unit reboots with the new software.

Btw since I'm interested in software updates too (as I requested some fixes), I can tell you when it's ready so you don't need to ask them every day if it has been released (like I do xD)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #132
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sound is decent now after the EQ tweaks and no confusing situations when answering phone calls with the wrong button.

Do you think it will help also with base audio system? If so I can try it tomorrow, I have bimmercode + obd wifi dongle
Appreciate 0