F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unique-AD Wireless CarPlay
Extreme Powerhouse

05-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #133
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Converting over from the AVIN screen unit to this. Just ordered one through Joyeauto and hope that this will solve random No Signal issues that are experienced with AVIN when the weather is warmer (unit overheats), since this will be tucked behind dash.

Where are you guys getting updates for this device from?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #134
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post

Where are you guys getting updates for this device from?
Any updates to Unique-AD Devices would naturally come from Unique-AD

05-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #135
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC View Post
Do you think it will help also with base audio system? If so I can try it tomorrow, I have bimmercode + obd wifi dongle
Go for it man. I won't be able to get to it until Friday.

05-15-2019, 05:07 AM   #136
steker
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC
I'm from Italy and they're in uk so I did install it myself.. but I've been like the first one to try it as I bought it before it got released in late january. I've been in touch with them since then as I found a lot of issues which have been addressed thanks to my reports. I've been the guinea pig for your units that now are waaaay better then my january unit. I've found every possible problem you may find on this unit (and tried to sort it out, discovering also strange unrelated things like the bmw icon change) so I know a lot about it now!

About the software update, you need to ask them to send it to you, they send you a small file that needs to be copied in a usb key (formatted in fat32) and plugged in the microusb (with an otg adapter) in the "update" port of the carplay unit. Then you click the reset button, wait the led to flash quickly and then when it stays still, you just unplug the usb key and the unit reboots with the new software.

Btw since I'm interested in software updates too (as I requested some fixes), I can tell you when it's ready so you don't need to ask them every day if it has been released (like I do xD)
Yeah I've been following your adventure with the first version of Unique's CarPlay unit for quite some time now, while waiting for the full screen version. I'm really happy we have you around, because if we all would have had a buggy system this unit would get a really bad name. Quindi, grazie mille per tutto!

So an update goes through another port and another cable then? I was sort of assuming and hoping the USB port and cable would do the trick. So we need another cable and open up the dashboard for the update then, good to know. The only thing I would like to see in an update is never getting the no signal message (I only got it once luckily) and making sure the connection always happens (sometimes the phone can find Wifi and Bluetooth, but doesn't connect automatically).

I'm in day 2 now of all-in on CarPlay and fully disconnected from iDrive... and I'm really happy. Calls are working fine, music sounds good, Google Maps and Flitmeister are so great to use, WhatsApp, Calendar event notifications, etc. I'm totally in love with my car all over again. iDrive 4 is to me an outdated interface with useless maps and navigation (I regret paying for traffic info and the most recent maps downloads). I never go back to iDrive, I do everything in CarPlay. It's so fast, smooth, modern and everything is up to date and recent. I think it's a must have if you have an iPhone and don't want your big beautiful iDrive screen just sitting there being unused.
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #137
Taki-x
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

I am in the first days of using the UAD CarPlay and the CarPlay functions well and response is quick. I have also installed aftermarket rear view camera which is working properly.
What is somehow confusing is the way phone calls are handled while using the BMW FM radio.
I am wondering if there is any possibility to route the radio audio through AUX as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #138
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Any updates to Unique-AD Devices would naturally come from Unique-AD
I get that. The question was more along the lines of are the updates close held or widely available to everyone? For example, AVIN tried their hardest to keep updates under control so you would have to ask them. They eventually broke down alittle and gave you access if you bought it from them.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #139
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
I get that. The question was more along the lines of are the updates close held or widely available to everyone? For example, AVIN tried their hardest to keep updates under control so you would have to ask them. They eventually broke down alittle and gave you access if you bought it from them.
The question if Unique AD's has its own propitiatory user management interface?

Both units are using IDCORE. I wonder if both are also using the same user management system.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 11:22 PM   #140
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post

Both units are using IDCORE. I wonder if both are also using the same user management system.
Correct. Are all of the providers sourcing their software from the same supplier? If so, is one being more stingy with updates then the other? Technically if its the same hardware/build, the software should be interchangeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 11:42 PM   #141
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

I’ve seen on here that the steering wheel controls work. Do the track forward and back buttons on the dash (the ones next to the numbers 1-8) also work?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:25 AM   #142
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318d F30 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
I've seen on here that the steering wheel controls work. Do the track forward and back buttons on the dash (the ones next to the numbers 1-8) also work?
No, it doesn't use back and forward buttons on the dash. But you can push the idrive controller left or right to skip songs, in every carplay screen.

Quote:
Quote:

Correct. Are all of the providers sourcing their software from the same supplier? If so, is one being more stingy with updates then the other? Technically if its the same hardware/build, the software should be interchangeable.
Same project but different development, updates are not compatible. If installed, it just shows a black screen.

Also, Unique releases updates only to people who bought it and only under request.
Appreciate 1
CleanKM103.50
      05-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #143
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
I've seen on here that the steering wheel controls work. Do the track forward and back buttons on the dash (the ones next to the numbers 1-8) also work?
No, it doesn't use back and forward buttons on the dash. But you can push the idrive controller left or right to skip songs, in every carplay screen.

Quote:
Quote:

Same project but different development, updates are not compatible. If installed, it just shows a black screen.

Also, Unique releases updates only to people who bought it and only under request.
Check, thanks.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 12:38 AM   #144
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #145
sknsean
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330d 2013

I'm having trouble with parking assist.
The screen only goes onto PDC view when i reverse, not when i push the park assist butten, does anyone else have that issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:51 AM   #146
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknsean View Post
The screen only goes onto PDC view when i reverse, not when i push the park assist butten, does anyone else have that issue?
Mine does that too. I think it's by design. Contact their support and ask them for a definitive answer

05-21-2019, 07:28 AM   #147
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318d F30 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknsean View Post
I'm pretty sure it reads gear status from canbus and shows pdc if it's in reverse. So no way to detect the click of the pdc button if it doesn't hook to its wires.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:09 PM   #148
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Got my unit from joyeauto and installed today. Everything works great so far with no issues.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #149
Metafan
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Thinking of buying this unit. Do you guys link the micro wire from the carplay unit to the original overhead micro placement like in the video? minute 11:15
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #150
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metafan View Post
Thinking of buying this unit. Do you guys link the micro wire from the carplay unit to the original overhead micro placement like in the video? minute 11:15
No. And that's a different product from a different vendor in the video you referenced.

05-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #151
viperguy212
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Quote:
Got my unit from joyeauto and installed today. Everything works great so far with no issues.
Wow these are cheap. How was the install? AliExpress doesn’t really give too much info on the install process but the unit seems to offer everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #152
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperguy212 View Post
Quote:
Wow these are cheap. How was the install? AliExpress doesn’t really give too much info on the install process but the unit seems to offer everything.
Let's start a separate discussion for the JoyeAuto units so as not to confuse or detract anyone looking for info on the UAD boxes.

05-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #153
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
From what I can tell they are the same thing. It's even mentioned in this thread earlier. If you read this whole thread, you can use the same process for the joyeauto box.

Total install time to include removal of my old AVIN unit was 2.5 hours.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #154
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Wow these are cheap. How was the install? AliExpress doesn't really give too much info on the install process but the unit seems to offer everything.
Let's start a separate discussion for the JoyeAuto units so as not to confuse or detract anyone looking for info on the UAD boxes.
They are basically the same thing. Same case, same Bluetooth name, etc. Only difference seems to be the logo.

Neither Unique or Joyeauto make the units, it's IDCORE. In fact a Joyeauto install video was referenced for an install in this thread...

Didn't realize this thread was an advertisement specifically for unique.
Appreciate 0