F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android and BMW Apps: possible solution...
ARMA SPEED

04-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
thedonva
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini Clubman S

BMW Apps worth it

Hey - I tried searching on BWM Apps w/in the forum and it keeps crashing - is this worth the money because you also have to pay for the assist - it comes out to $820. I do want to listen to my iPhone (iTunes) and of course use BT to make calls. Can you do this w/o BMW APPS?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
When I read this thread back in March, I was like I love my Nexus but thats too much trouble and then the My remote app came out and thats iphone only. So I called up Sprint and asked how much to pay off my contract they said $45 so I said do it and I went and got my self the iphone 4s. Its no Android but I dont want to miss out on the little features.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
thedonva
Enlisted Member
Rep

So Ric124, - do you recommend the BMW Apps?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonva View Post
So Ric124, - do you recommend the BMW Apps?
Not in a position to recommend as yet since my car is not here yet. Figured I would get the iphone and get used to it while I wait. I didnt want to lose out on certain feature thats why I ordered BMW apps.

I wanted a more integrated feel with everything being displayed on the BMW screen and not on the phone.

Pandora
MOG
World Radio
Twitter
Facebook

MyRemote app I think this alone is a winner to be able to lock/unlock etc especially since i dont have comfort access. Look at screen shot

send address to your car while u walk to it
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
thedonva
Enlisted Member
Rep

I see - thanks - I will probably just order it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #28
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
See screen shots from BMW apps here

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #29
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonva View Post
Hey - I tried searching on BWM Apps w/in the forum and it keeps crashing - is this worth the money because you also have to pay for the assist - it comes out to $820. I do want to listen to my iPhone (iTunes) and of course use BT to make calls. Can you do this w/o BMW APPS?
This is my current understanding:

without Apps or Assist
- BT phone support is standard
- You can control/play music from iphone but need Y-cable and don't think you get album art, etc.

with BMW Assist
- You can use Apple cable only and have head unit decode MP3 files
- You get better UI and can see album art, etc.
- You can stream music via BT without a cable
- with a snap-in adapter: you can get video out from iphone and use cat antenna
- MyRemote App should work with just Assist

with Assist and Apps
- You can use BMW apps as ric124 describes
- You can email addresses to Nav (if you have Nav)

Last edited by pcbrew; 04-25-2012 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: added that MyRemote should not be dependent on Apps
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #30
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

the att HTC vivid does not support its use as a WiFi hot spot for other devices as long as u still have unlimited data plan, I think till the android market starts offering BMW connect app BMW apps is a waste of money, I had the iPhone and it worked perfect.
      04-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #31
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Also for those wondering, I was told that the Y cable is only supplied with the car if you don't get 6NL integration.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #32
mxdirtmx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i (F30) Imperial B

On Droid Razr & Razr Maxx the Smart Options functions the same as Tasker, but free

FYI.....On the Motorola Droid Razr & Razr Maxx the Smart Actions functions the same as Tasker, but free and preloaded on the Razr & Razr Maxx... Use it and save $6.95

Typo in the title.... The app preloaded on the Razr and probably other Motorola phones (part of blur interface? Not sure)....is called: " Smart Actions "

...... But the app is useful for setting triggers and actions, like needed in this tutorial.... So Smart Actions rocks to get this done ( as well as being great at saving battery and automating everything to be switched on or off based upon the phone's state (i.e. charging or not moving, etc.) or location (GPS used to, for instance, switch phone to meeting mode profile once the phone is identified to be at your office).... Overall great built-in app for automating something tricky like what is needed to allow your love the better OS (Android) to be used in BMW apps!

Last edited by mxdirtmx; 04-26-2012 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #33
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
The only thing I cannot guarantee is if it works with an iPod Touch since I have none available and don't really want to buy one without knowing for sure if it works. I will, however, try in a couple of days to see if I can get it to work with my wife's iPad 2. If that works, then I'm betting it should also work with an iPod Touch
Did you ever try the touch?
Just got back in country and haven't had a chance to try the connection part with my Galaxy Nexus but when I tried installing the BMW Connected app on a touch 2G it said it was incompatible. Not sure if incompatibility was with the old hardware or if it is expecting to have an always on cellular connection.

I will have to see if it installs on my daughter's 4G touch...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #34
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Just got back in country and haven't had a chance to try the connection part with my Galaxy Nexus but when I tried installing the BMW Connected app on a touch 2G it said it was incompatible. Not sure if incompatibility was with the old hardware or if it is expecting to have an always on cellular connection.

I was able to install the app on my dad's ipad 3g so it must be looking for a cell connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #35
jims2321
Rep
Drives: 1994 Mustang GT Vert

Mobile Hotspot is a per month charge for Verizon customers. So if you want to enable it, it will cost

Data for Smartphones & Basic Phones
Data Allowance How much do I need? Monthly Access Overage
Pay As You Go (For Basic Phones Only) $1.99/MB – Personal Email $5
75MB (For Basic Phones Only) $10 $10/75MB
2GB $30 $10/1GB
5GB $50 $10/1GB
10GB $80 $10/1GB
Overage charges occur when you exceed your Data Allowance.
Personal email is included with all data packages. 2GB and 5GB data packages not eligible for discounts.
Extend the capability of your device—increase your data package with an additional 2 GB of data each month for an additional $20 per month, and enable:
Mobile Hotspot–Using your smartphone, share your data allowance with multiple Wi-Fi–enabled devices. No additional drivers or software necessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #36
jaybeeunix
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30: 2012 328i sedan

Quote:

The BMW Connected App tells me it only works on iOS 5 when I try installing it on an iOS 4 iPad. According to Apple, only the iPod Touch 3Gen and 4Gen support iOS5.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #37
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Nope... but... I think it should work, though (with iOS 5). Read this:

Quote:
BMW Apps is compatible with iPhone GS3/4 and iPod Touch (with an active Wi-Fi connection) devices and requires the optional equipment “Apps”.
Taken from this site: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...apps.html#more

Either way, chances are that I will know for sure soon enough. I'm thinking about just getting one and trying it out. If it doesn't work, it's back to the store with the Touch xD

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread

Last edited by svache; 05-05-2012 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #38
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well I just tried it with my wife's iPad 2 and everything seems to work. I was able to get WIFI from my phone through Tasker as described in my first posts in this thread and the iPad was able to have the BMW Apps accessible. I could read my wife's calendar, see Facebook posts, listen to webradio and so on. So, yeah, I think I'm going to stay with Android for my next phone and buy an iPod Touch instead

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #39
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Can anyone confirm whether there is a BMW MyRemote app for Android yet? I don't really need the facebook/twitter feeds on my iDrive, but would like the remote unlock etc features available with the BMW Assist subscription.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #40
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Somewhat related topic: It seems that cyanogenmod for Android has added the Bluetooth MAP profile in some builds. This would potentially allow SMS and emails to be read by the F30. Flashing your phone with a custom ROM like this has risks though and I don't even know if it works with the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #41
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Partial success!!!

I flashed my Samsung Captivate with cyanogenmod 7.2 RC 1 last night and ran some tests this morning. The car now picks up all of my SMS text messages and displays a little envelope icon on the screen when I get a new one. Haven't tried emails yet.

However, the car doesn't read them out loud automatically. You can select the message in iDrive and click the play icon to have a message read, but it doesn't do it by itself. I'm beginning to wonder if it actually does this automatically, or whether I'm a victim of a slick advertisement.

WARNING: Flashing your phone with a custom ROM can carry big risks and in the worst case you can end up with a bricked phone if you're not careful. Your mileage may vary and all the usual cliches apply.

EDIT: The manual doesn't seem to say anything about reading out loud automatically. Only that you can select the message and have it read out loud.

Last edited by Raspartan; 05-06-2012 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Added information from manual
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #42
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Partial success!!!
Hey that's pretty cool

How hard is it to flash anyways? I never gave it a try as I didn't want to have the risk, so I only skimmed some explanations but never really did anything with it so I have honestly no idea.

Seeing how I'm ending my contract, and my phone is getting more and more issues anyways, maybe I should give Cyanogenmod a try..

And yeah, like you I also thought it would do it automatically but I noticed the same with the FB and Twitter updates that it didn't do this. Oh well, got me an iPod touch yesterday so that part is covered, now if I can get the text messages to work, that would be even better =)

edit: dangit, probably need to back my phone up again if I'm going to flash it.. I seriously hate doing that lol
edit2: seeing how you have it already installed, do you still have the Mobile Accesspoint available in this mod? If not, then I'm going to skip lol

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #43
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
How hard is it to flash anyways?l
Quote:
seeing how you have it already installed, do you still have the Mobile Accesspoint available in this mod?
Mobile hotspot is still available in this mod and it seems to work. Many other things are different from my stock Android 2.3.3 ROM though.

Now I've never done this before, so I have to say I found the process to be very involved. I made several recoverable mistakes, but I thought I had bricked my phone at least 3 times at various points.

I found this XDA thread to be the most useful.

The basic process is:

1. Root your phone by flashing a rooted kernel using Odin or Heimdall.
2. Back up all your apps, bookmarks, files, everything. Preferably move the backups to your pc. I used Titanium Backup for some of these, and other apps to do some backup tasks.
3. Install ClockWorkMod. You can also flash a kernel with CWM already installed as part of step 1.
4. Download cyanogenmod 7.2 RC 1 (release candidate 1) onto the phone's *internal* sd memory, not the external SD card.
5. Reboot the phone into recovery mode (vol up+vol down+power)
6. Back up the phone
7. Choose install update from zip file.
8. Browse to and select the downloaded cyanogen zip file.
8. I think the phone reboots at this point, but if it doesn't then reboot it.

I think you're supposed to wipe the data at some point but I didn't, and this may have contributed to some of my problems. I also didn't have much success with the speedmod kernel mentioned in the thread, and had to find one that worked on my phone (Cognition). This may have been partly due to the fact that I already had Android 2.3 installed and most of these apps work best with 2.1 or 2.2.

As before, it's a risky process and you follow it at your own risk.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #44
STAT1
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Partial success!!!

I flashed my Samsung Captivate with cyanogenmod 7.2 RC 1 last night and ran some tests this morning. The car now picks up all of my SMS text messages and displays a little envelope icon on the screen when I get a new one. Haven't tried emails yet.
I have an HTC Incredible that is rooted with S-OFF, and flashing a custom rom with MAP support is a really great idea. I'm a little confused though, do I need BMW App for SMS support? I am getting BMW assist with enhanced Bluetooth, but do not plan on paying extra for the Tech package or BMW Apps.
Appreciate 0