F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > VAR
ARMA SPEED

08-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

VAR

Fan or not?

City are foaming at the chops tonight but it’ll even itself out over the season and potentially the big 6 won’t get as many decisions their way which is fair, the slowing of the game and the lack of instant reactions by the officials is already pissing me off though.

Personally I like it when it goes in LFC’s favour but hate it when it doesn’t.....

Last edited by Broncho; 08-17-2019 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
allachie91334.00
      08-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

It's great!

Some delay.

Wait! No it's not.
x-m4n148.00
      08-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
It's great!

Some delay.

Wait! No it's not.
United fans will hate it, they have had more than their fair share of decisions for years....

Could have done with it at Barnet today #dodgypenalty #shitreferee
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

As it got Spurs a point I'm all for it.

Until the decision goes against us and then it's the worst invention ever!
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
As it got Spurs a point I'm all for it.

Until the decision goes against us and then it's the worst invention ever!
I said similar in the OP, tongue firmly in cheek but like I said it should even itself out over the season.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

Absolutely bloody hate it. I'm an LFC season ticket holder and the home game against Norwich was awful. After every goal I spent the next 30 seconds to a minute watching the ref with one finger on his ear hoping he keeps pointing the other hand towards the centre circle. And it wasn't until Norwich took the kick off that I felt like I could properly celebrate as then any decision couldn't be overturned - and we were always in control of that game so I shouldn't have needed to worry. If it was a tight game against another title challenger then I think it would be horrific waiting for goal confirmation both for or against.

No one expected City's goal to be cancelled tonight and even Lloris in the Spurs goal was laughing when it was disallowed as no one had a clue what for. Not a single Spurs player appealed - and I appreciate that was because of a rule change to handball and not directly VAR (but one that was brought in because of the need clarify VAR in these type of situations and take out any personal opinion).

And as for the 'helping the ref with penalties etc with clear and obvious errors' - Super Cup penalty - Adrian on Abraham - ridiculous decision not overturned by VAR and then again today, City should have had one and so should someone else (can remember who, may have been Bournemouth) but VAR didn't even get the ref to take a second look using the pitch-side monitor. Even though we benefitted from the Spurs decision (re no penalty for foul on Rodri and then handball) I'm certainly not a fan and would be very happy for VAR to not be used.

Offsides are also complete crap using VAR - when a player makes initial contact when passing the ball it is fractions of seconds before the ball actually leaves his foot from first impact - there are currently no 100% accurate ways of measuring or judging this and yet Sterling is given offside by the smallest margin based on when Mahrez has passed the ball to him - a few frames of action either way make him on / offside yet in all of them the ball is still in contact with Mahrez foot.

Apart from the Super Cup penalty, LFC have been, in the main, benefactors from VAR (I'm not sure we'd have done so well in the Champions League final had it been City not Spurs last year as yet another example) and when my Forza App sent a notification 2 minutes after Jesus 'winner' tonight saying VAR no- goal I'll admit I was more than happy.

LFC will no doubt be on the other end of VAR decisions before the season's over but for me it's killed the spontaneity when watching a game live, both at the ground and on TV. I'm quite accepting that odd decision will be wrong - even if it's against LFC (Pat Partridge in 78 v Forest or Juventus in 85 being 2 finals we've lost because of highly dubious penalties) but we got one back last June v Spurs so it's swings and roundabouts. Over time they'll even themselves out. And yes, the bigger teams do get more decisions (and I'm including Old Trafford penalties in that) but that's because the better teams spend more time attacking and less defending.

Anyway, still bloody hate VAR - long live human error.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 01:48 AM   #7
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

Don’t see any issue with VAR. Anything that helps make more accurate decisions in football should be welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 06:16 AM   #8
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I hate VAR also. Chelsea (my team) had a run of bad luck imo in the champions league in the past. But these things tend to equal themselves i.e. the win in against Bayen Munich in the CL final.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #9
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Too early to tell.... but I don’t wanna see it used on every single play like the NFL.

Destroys the speed of the game.

Also....VAR did it’s job in reviewing the hand ball on Laporte in Man City game. I’m NOT a fan of the rules change this year with respect to accidental hand balls.
      08-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #10
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

To add, I think they should use VAR more. Do retrospective reviews on diving and get players sent off.

Also, why don't players get cards any more when they ask for another player to be booked? That was a great rule.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

We have goal line tech - that works and is fair imo

VAR - football isn’t a binary game, there are swings and roundabouts in a season, I really don’t think it is adding to the game from a fans perspective. Without it football has a soul, it isn’t perfect. With it, it loses its passion, you never know whether a goal is or isn’t, celebrating after a wait is never the same as in the moment.

I would rather there is more passion and speed to the game if it means the odd dodgy decision.

On balance I think that the view at the end of the season from fans will be turn off.

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #12
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i

Not a fan. It was supposed to be used for clear and obvious errors, but that doesn't seem to be what it's used for at all. It will over rule decisions on tiny margins and then everyone ends up debating it after anyway!
It also seems it is checked after every goal.
Maybe it should be more of an appeal thing, like in tennis/cricket. Each side can appeal a decision to VAR once and if you're wrong you lose it, if you're correct you keep it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #13
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

I want to see VAR used to straighten out the Man City team that thinks they are untouchable while kicking everybody else around the field. Guardiola is a wonderful hypocrite when he whines about "protecting my players".
Appreciate 0