F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What happens if air intake is damaged?
GetBMWParts

05-10-2021, 12:55 AM   #1
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

What happens if air intake is damaged?

Just curious, what happens if there is a damaged area in the air intake system. This could be a crack or an intake duct incorrectly installed. In this situation, the turbo and engine would be sucking in unfiltered air.

Would the unfiltered air damage the turbo and engine?

Would an error code of some sort be thrown in any kind of similar situation?
      05-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It depends where the damage is. If it allows unfiltered air to reach the engine it would have to be fixed or replaced. If unfiltered air was OK there would be no filter.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It depends where the damage is. If it allows unfiltered air to reach the engine it would have to be fixed or replaced. If unfiltered air was OK there would be no filter.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Makes sense, thanks. Would there be an error code or would it have to be noticed through inspection? Just wondering cuz the plastic parts, especially the turbo inlet seems really flimsy.

Would be reassuring to know that I would be notified the moment a problem happens.
      05-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #5
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
Makes sense, thanks. Would there be an error code or would it have to be noticed through inspection? Just wondering cuz the plastic parts, especially the turbo inlet seems really flimsy.

Would be reassuring to know that I would be notified the moment a problem happens.
An error code probably won't be generated unless the crack is after the turbo has compressed the air, which would result in a boost leak. These are the turbo-to-intercooler pipe or the intercooler-to-engine pipe. These are also known as the boost pipe and charge pipe respectively.

You are correct that these pipes are flimsy and can crack. Luckily, there are plenty of aftermarket options to remedy this. The turbo inlet pipe itself is also made of plastic and is highly reccomended to get replaced. If that cracks, the last thing you want are chunks of plastic entering the turbo. However, this is only an issue on older cars where the pipes are brittle.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1