F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW custom PIDs and Torque Pro app
Studio RSR

10-21-2018, 03:10 AM   #45
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT (F34/N20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
OK, I am the guy who figured this out for the 335d.
First, you are getting confused between different levels of information.
There are OBD2 parameters that were listed in the document that I shared on the forum and is in this thread. One of the OBD2 requests that you can make is to indicate the parameters that are available with your ECU. Or you can just request all of them and see which ones work. But that is not always simple, because some parameters are in the from of bits rather than bytes - also described in document I shared. At any rate , the request for any of these parameters is universal. What is unique is whether a particular parameters is supported. BTW, Torque has a few calculated parameters that are not actually OBD2. Boost is one of them and it is not particularly accurate.

Then there are UDS commands. $2C is a UDS command to retrieve info. OBD is a subset of UDS. If you think the special OBD2 parameters are hard to find, I would suggest 2C will be nearly impossible. $23 is good if you know the address location. Those can be found in an A2L. You may find info will cost $. By now the alphabet soup should be fairly confusing, but google is your friend, to some extent.

It is hard to understand why this is worth all the effort. If you want to see non OBD2 data, there are much better ways to get that. For android there is Deep OBD, for windows Testo (not a Mac user, sorry)

Good luck. Sorry I cannot be more helpful. So busy right now.
OH MY GOD. I didn't know about UDS at all. Thank you! This is a place to start.

Actually doesn't this mean all we would really need to do is know where in the actual ECU bin it keeps each value? Which may be feasible with a lot of work... I don't know if I can do it but it should be fun to try!

EDIT:
If you have a moment could you possibly hint as to how we would read from a specific ECU given that the OBD port itself really only interfaces with the ZGM. Does the ZGM split up some address space and assign each ecu part of it? Or do we first have to somehow signal to the gateway that we want a specific ecu?

EDIT2: Apologies for the rambling haha I may have been a little out of my mind tired when I wrote these posts

Last edited by meltbox; 10-21-2018 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #46
hpopmds
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Hi. I've tried with this file "TorqueProBMW-PIDs rev2.csv" (just google it) on a 318d F31, but nothing lighted up related to DPF. I wanted to check soot mass, ash %, last regen, etc, but no luck
Appreciate 0