F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Did I get scammed? Help with warranty issue.
ARMA SPEED

10-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
BeeEMdubbayu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

Did I get scammed? Help with warranty issue.

Until today I was extremely happy with my purchase of a 15 320i. When I bought the car I was told by a BMW dealership who will for now remain nameless, that the car was a cpo. I drove 3 hours to buy this car. When I got there I was told the car wasn't being sold to me as a cpo but it was still under the cpo warranty from the last owner. I have emails and a printout to prove this. To cut to the chase, my check engine light came on and hooked up the scanner to make sure it wasn't something minor like an improperly closed gas cap. I got a code for thermostat circuit open. When I took the car to another dealership close to my house, I was told I have no active warranty. I called the dealer where I purchased my car and now they are very apologetic and they claim they don't know why someone gave my the printout. They offered to fix the car free of charge as a courtesy but that doesn't sit right with me. What if next week it's the engine or the transmission or an electrical failure? I won't be covered! What would you recommend I do? I know there BMW reps on here. Please help me out. Will BMW help me. Can I undo the deal 2.5 months after I bought the car? What are my options? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

If it were mine, the first thing I would do is to go to the place I bought the car and ask to speak to the general manager. Tell him or her what happened and show him your documentation. Ask him what he can do to "make things right". It may be an honest mistake
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEMdubbayu View Post
Until today I was extremely happy with my purchase of a 15 320i. When I bought the car I was told by a BMW dealership who will for now remain nameless, that the car was a cpo. I drove 3 hours to buy this car. When I got there I was told the car wasn't being sold to me as a cpo but it was still under the cpo warranty from the last owner. I have emails and a printout to prove this. To cut to the chase, my check engine light came on and hooked up the scanner to make sure it wasn't something minor like an improperly closed gas cap. I got a code for thermostat circuit open. When I took the car to another dealership close to my house, I was told I have no active warranty. I called the dealer where I purchased my car and now they are very apologetic and they claim they don't know why someone gave my the printout. They offered to fix the car free of charge as a courtesy but that doesn't sit right with me. What if next week it's the engine or the transmission or an electrical failure? I won't be covered! What would you recommend I do? I know there BMW reps on here. Please help me out. Will BMW help me. Can I undo the deal 2.5 months after I bought the car? What are my options? Thanks in advance.
If emails are your "warranty", then you got hosed. Get an official writing or get screwed. Lesson learned.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

You said they give you a printout (a warranty printout) was there anything written on the printout that correspond to the vehicle you bought? Was your name on the printout?
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

If you're talking about BMW warranty, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the BMW warranty no longer transferable to new owner from 2015 and up? If this is CPO warranty then even if there was an existing one, dealer needed to properly transfer that to new owner, right? My old car I was told I needed to submit an application to transfer CPO within 60 days. Don't know if it's different now. Either way it sounds like they got you with the old bait and switch
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I joked with my SA about the $200 CPO transfer cost for my 2014. He said that I shouldn't be too mad, because it costs more now. I hope you're still able to transfer it.
      10-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
blankito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M Performance

Well if you bought the car BECAUSE it had a CPO and that you had some kind of written confirmation it did, you could argue that you want to cancel the sale. You agreed to buy the car at a certain price because it came with CPO. If it's not the case anymore, stand your point that it is not worth what you agreed to pay for it.
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
blankito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
If you're talking about BMW warranty, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the BMW warranty no longer transferable to new owner from 2015 and up? If this is CPO warranty then even if there was an existing one, dealer needed to properly transfer that to new owner, right? My old car I was told I needed to submit an application to transfer CPO within 60 days. Don't know if it's different now. Either way it sounds like they got you with the old bait and switch
Wow I think you just saved my ass! I didn't know we now had to transfer it! I'm doing the paper work right now!
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #9
BeeEMdubbayu
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
You said they give you a printout (a warranty printout) was there anything written on the printout that correspond to the vehicle you bought? Was your name on the printout?
First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their input.
The printout they gave me is from BMW. But here is where the problem lies. They gave me a printout before I purchased the car. It does show the last 7 of my vin but not my name. I also have an email from one of the managers assuring me that the car is in fact a cpo. He then continues to tell me that the advertised price for which I was calling was an error but they would honor the price. It all seemed too good to be true but I bit. I feel like a sucker. They offered to fix the car free of charge but I know that if the engine goes (pre 1/15) or some other repair is needed sometime down the road, I'm outta luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
BeeEMdubbayu
United_States
Rep

One more thing, I also have a screenshot of the online listing for my car. It clearly says certified preowned.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

L-A-W-Y-E-R. Tell the dealer in no uncertain terms that they will give you a signed CPO warranty or take the car back. If they won't then they will be hearing from a lawyer, and it won't cost you anything, as that lawyer works for the Consumer Protection Division of the State of Florida Office of the Attorney General.
Appreciate 5
tex26702412.50
Solidjake945.00
eluded3035.00
Polo088161610.00
      10-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
BeeEMdubbayu
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
L-A-W-Y-E-R. Tell the dealer in no uncertain terms that they will give you a signed CPO warranty or take the car back. If they won't then they will be hearing from a lawyer, and it won't cost you anything, as that lawyer works for the Consumer Protection Division of the State of Florida Office of the Attorney General.
I will definitely research this. THANKS!!! I'm so grateful for you guys. I've gotten blank stares followed by I don't knows from everybody I know.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      10-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
BMW Warranty transfers with the car.

The Free Maintenance doesn’t.
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #14
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Something does not make sense.

You purchased a 2015 which has a 4 Year Factory Warranty which probably shouldn’t be up unless the car has over 50,000 miles, which should have been the active warranty the Dealer said you didn’t have.

Now that doesn’t excuse the CPO part, but does your car have over 50,000 miles?

As for the CPO, take it to small claims court. You can purchase an EW for less than $5k which is Florida small claims limit. A Lawyer will eat up your settlement as the State of Florida won’t do much of anything.

Another piece of advice, call the TV Stations Investigative Reporters/Consumer Lawyers. With the November Ratings sweep coming up, one would most likely live to nail a Dealership on TV.

Then again, refusing to name Dealer etc will get you nowhere.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #15
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Something does not make sense.

You purchased a 2015 which has a 4 Year Factory Warranty which probably shouldn't be up unless the car has over 50,000 miles, which should have been the active warranty the Dealer said you didn't have.

Now that doesn't excuse the CPO part, but does your car have over 50,000 miles?

As for the CPO, take it to small claims court. You can purchase an EW for less than $5k which is Florida small claims limit. A Lawyer will eat up your settlement.
MY15 means it could have been bought in 2014, and with us getting toward the end of the year, I think there is a possibility that it original warranty has run out due to this car being one of the earlier MY15s. I wonder what the timeline was for this. Maybe it was a very recent purchase?

EDIT: OP's post history seems to suggest that it was indeed a recent purchase.
tex26702412.50
      10-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
MY15 means it could have been bought in 2014, and with us getting toward the end of the year, I think there is a possibility that it original warranty has run out due to this car being one of the earlier MY15s. I wonder what the timeline was for this. Maybe it was a very recent purchase?

EDIT: OP's post history seems to suggest that it was indeed a recent purchase.
Yes aware that MY 2015 could be late 2014 purchase but odds of MY 2015 purchase prior to October 2014 would be similar to winning the $1 Billion (or $1.6B) lottery.

OP post he purchased car several months ago.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #17
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Yes aware that MY 2015 could be late 2014 purchase but odds of MY 2015 purchase prior to October 2014 would be similar to winning the $1 Billion (or $1.6B) lottery.

I saw that 2.5 months bit just now.
But it seems that he beat the odds because in his post, he mentioned that it was already under CPO warranty under the last owner. I suppose which could mean that it was a CPO car with original warranty active, but his wording seems to suggest that it was a CPO warranty that was already active. But I suppose we just gotta sit and wait for OP to get back to us to really find out.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #18
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:

Any dealer should be able to tell him the original in service date. That answers the 4 yr 50,000 mile question.
If the car was advertised as CPO and it’s not,he should get compensation at the very least.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #19
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:

My 2014 335i was delivered Sept/Oct 2013. Time to go buy a mega millions ticket - I’m gonna be a billionaire!
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      10-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #20
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Quote:

Any dealer should be able to tell him the original in service date. That answers the 4 yr 50,000 mile question.
If the car was advertised as CPO and it’s not,he should get compensation at the very least.
No disagreement on warranty which is why I asked the questions I did.

Also agree on compensation which is why I suggested small claims court or a TV Reporter in Dealer's face.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #21
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Quote:

My 2014 335i was delivered Sept/Oct 2013. Time to go buy a mega millions ticket - I’m gonna be a billionaire!
A 335i is not a 320.

It's currently October if you check the calendar.

And odds of lightning striking twice.....forget about it
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #22
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Before you start calling lawyers and TV stations, re-read my first response. This may be a big purchase to you, but to the dealership, this is just a 3 or 4 year old used car and a minor transaction. Talk to the G.M. If it was a mistake or mis-step by a sales person, they would rather make you happy than start a war.
Appreciate 1