F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > O-ring seals for charge pipes
GetBMWParts

11-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #45
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Damn... I'm also part of that 9/9 batch. xph even reached out to me and asked if I wanted to proceed w/ the order. Should've cancelled and went w/ CTS Turbo *facepalm*

I still have my stock IC on, is it even worth changing it out at this point?
I was in the exact same boat. I got the email with the option to cancel the order (because XPH did not give any indication it was out of stock when the order was placed). I almost did and went with the AA CP+IC combo deal instead, but decided to stick to VRSF. I also saw CTS on sale at the same time and almost ordered that... Of course i regret that decision now, lol.

Of course the IC upgrade is worth it, but I would not attempt the install without the Orings i mentioned above. Since you have all this information before doing the install, i suspect you can get it right the first time and avoid going through multiple installs and trial and error. Just get the Orings and test the CP-IC connection with the IC on the ground. Once you are confident one of the Orings will seal, the install itself isnt bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #46
bdragon46
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Well, glad to hear it helped someone else. Did you use the 4mmx59mm for those two connections to the IC?

I suspect it went above target because your WGDC and other adaptations were making up for a boost leak. If you reset adaptations or just give it some time i imagine the boost control will be on point.
Yes. Ordered both o rings for the ic and the one for the tic.

That's what I figured after looking over the log and also noticed that the wgdc was slightly higher than before. Reset the adaption but haven't gotten a chance to do another log.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #47
G80S58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Xdrive, X3 M40i LCI

Hi all, been reading this thread and I'm about to get my CP installed and I just want to make sure I put the O rings in correctly.

As mentioned the O rings from the CP to the IC is directional. which way should it be if say the top was the CP and bottom was IC.

I've been playing around with both ways and both seems to fit in nicely, although one way was a lot easier to go in than the other.
It seems like the O ring on the left of the CP in the picture is the right way if I was to put it in, but I could be wrong.

See pictures below.
Attached Images

Last edited by G80S58; 11-08-2019 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #48
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

in your pic, the o-ring on the right is the correct orientation

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=o-ring&page=2

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 11-08-2019 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
G80S58135.00
      11-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #49
G80S58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
in your pic, the o-ring on the right is the correct orientation

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=o-ring&page=2
So the flare part goes into the charge pipe first because the IC goes into the CP and not the other way around. OK I think I get it now.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #50
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAMAZIN View Post
So the flare part goes into the charge pipe first because the IC goes into the CP and not the other way around. OK I think I get it now.
i consider it somewhat of a "barb" flap. it is the way that the charge pipe will slide on to the intercooler the easiest.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #51
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i consider it somewhat of a "barb" flap. it is the way that the charge pipe will slide on to the intercooler the easiest.
Correct. Confirming that the correct orientation is the Oring on the right in your picture above. The Oring is tapered in such a way that it facilitates sliding onto the IC and when the CP is fully seated, the taper is sitting against the portion of the IC connection where it increases in diameter (and angled for that reason).

When you install, you can lightly oil with motor oil. Just make sure the Oring does not wrinkle.

If there is any side to side play once the CP is clipped on, i would be suspicious of a potential boost leak.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #52
G80S58
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Correct. Confirming that the correct orientation is the Oring on the right in your picture above. The Oring is tapered in such a way that it facilitates sliding onto the IC and when the CP is fully seated, the taper is sitting against the portion of the IC connection where it increases in diameter (and angled for that reason).

When you install, you can lightly oil with motor oil. Just make sure the Oring does not wrinkle.

If there is any side to side play once the CP is clipped on, i would be suspicious of a potential boost leak.
Do I need to put oil on it for install or is that just for a test? I got a brand new O rings for the install to avoid future problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #53
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAMAZIN View Post
Do I need to put oil on it for install or is that just for a test? I got a brand new O rings for the install to avoid future problems.
I would recommend the oil, but it may not be "required". Just dab your finger in motor oil and wipe it around the circumference on the Oring. You can even use oil that may already be in your CP. You just dont want the Oring to catch and wrinkle or not sit correctly if its a tight fit when you slide on. Some people use silicone lubricant or something else, but oil is usually already there.
Appreciate 1
G80S58135.00
      11-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #54
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Ordered all of them, though I only have oil/grease leaking from the intercooler to charge pipe connection so that is where I will start.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #55
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebro View Post
Ordered all of them, though I only have oil/grease leaking from the intercooler to charge pipe connection so that is where I will start.
Oh hey, I'm not the only one!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 02:50 PM   #56
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

I flashed BM3 and sent them some logs for stage 1, I have a delta between boost and target, but it's well within spec and deemed normal so I think these o rings are absolutely the way to go!
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #57
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
To test and confirm fitment, I swapped my cold side o-ring to the the 4.5mm x 60mm o-ring after lightly sanding it to reduce it's outside diameter. I slipped it over a 2-1/4" hole saw in my power drill and sanded the outside edge with some 200 grit sandpaper. I checked it with a micrometer and ended up at 4.42 to 4.43 mm. Still a VERY tight fit. Still no leaks at 30 psi. Thanks to the thejeremyman9 for the addition. I've added it to the first post.

Loose intercooler cold side option - 1 - 4.5mm x 60mm - $1.07
https://www.theoringstore.com/store/...ducts_id=17451
      12-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #58
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
To test and confirm fitment, I swapped my cold side o-ring to the the 4.5mm x 60mm o-ring after lightly sanding it to reduce it's outside diameter. I slipped it over a 2-1/4" hole saw in my power drill and sanded the outside edge with some 200 grit sandpaper. I checked it with a micrometer and ended up at 4.42 to 4.43 mm. Still a VERY tight fit. Still no leaks at 30 psi. Thanks to the thejeremyman9 for the addition. I've added it to the first post.

Thanks for adding that to the first post. Hopefully it will help a poor soul who was as unlucky as I was with an excessively loose connection. I would consider my fit as nearly impossible even after the sanding, lol.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #59
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Rockford Fosgate P3 // JBL MS-A5001 // MiniDSP
Ultra Racing Strut Brace // AFe Pro Dry S // PS2 // Custom Inlet // DV+ // FTP Boost Pipes // VRSF Race IC // VRSF Downpipe // ECUTek Protune @ 5280'
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #60
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
What turbo are you running that hits 30 PSI? Or was that just the boost test?
Just for leak testing. I've run 28 psi tapering to 24 psi, briefly, on my PS2 in the past. That could be why they break on me. I'd like to be able to run 20 psi flat all the time, but when I've tried that on PS2s at this altitude, they don't last long.
      12-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #61
SimpleJack
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 C

Quote:
I've had some minor boost leak issues in the past that I've vanquished by replacing all of the pressurized OEM charge pipe seals with o-rings.

Harkes first put forward replacing the charge pipe to throttle body o-ring with a larger o-ring. I figured I'd flesh in the rest for those who want to replace the rest of the OEM seals with better sealing, inexpensive, non-directional o-rings. The grand total of this setup is $3.00, plus shipping. I've boost leak tested it up to 30 psi without any leaks.

Be warned that installing fresh o-rings requires significantly more effort. After they've been installed for a while, they form to the seal path better and are easier to reinstall. That first time is a real pain, but it can be done. Be sure to lightly grease both the o-ring and the sealing surface that it'll be sliding onto.

These are the largest cross section o-rings I've been able to fit. Hope this makes all of your boost leaks go bye bye, too.

Turbo outlet: 1 - 4.5mm X 49mm - $.98
https://www.theoringstore.com/store/...ducts_id=17446

Throttle body: 1 - 4mm x 81mm - $.90
https://www.theoringstore.com/store/...ducts_id=39576

Intercooler: 2 - 4mm x 59mm - $1.12
https://www.theoringstore.com/store/...oducts_id=2242

For looser fitting charge pipe to IC cold side fitments, thejeremyman9 found that a 4.5mm x 60mm o-ring, lightly sanded to reduce it's thickness, worked best at eliminating leaks.

Just ordered a FMIC CP and TIC kit from ER. Reading a bunch of this thread makes me a bit nervous for fit and potential leaks. Think I want to replace all the orings even though my car only has 22k miles on it. The oring site is out of stock of the intercooler orings. Anyone know of another site that has reliable, snug fitting, rings?

If it matters, my car is a 2015 435i xD gran coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #62
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
Quote:
I've had some minor boost leak issues in the past that I've vanquished by replacing all of the pressurized OEM charge pipe seals with o-rings.

Harkes first put forward replacing the charge pipe to throttle body o-ring with a larger o-ring. I figured I'd flesh in the rest for those who want to replace the rest of the OEM seals with better sealing, inexpensive, non-directional o-rings. The grand total of this setup is $3.00, plus shipping. I've boost leak tested it up to 30 psi without any leaks.

Be warned that installing fresh o-rings requires significantly more effort. After they've been installed for a while, they form to the seal path better and are easier to reinstall. That first time is a real pain, but it can be done. Be sure to lightly grease both the o-ring and the sealing surface that it'll be sliding onto.

These are the largest cross section o-rings I've been able to fit. Hope this makes all of your boost leaks go bye bye, too.

For looser fitting charge pipe to IC cold side fitments, thejeremyman9 found that a 4.5mm x 60mm o-ring, lightly sanded to reduce it's thickness, worked best at eliminating leaks.

Just ordered a FMIC CP and TIC kit from ER. Reading a bunch of this thread makes me a bit nervous for fit and potential leaks. Think I want to replace all the orings even though my car only has 22k miles on it. The oring site is out of stock of the intercooler orings. Anyone know of another site that has reliable, snug fitting, rings?

If you're buying ER this probably isn't something you need to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #63
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
If you're buying ER this probably isn't something you need to worry about.
Yeah, you can start with trying new stock Orings and see how it feels. If there is any play at all at the connections and they dont feel solid/sealed then you can explore other options.

I know there are other online Oring stores but haven't tried any of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #64
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
Quote:

I recently got a vrsf HD intercooler and a bms charge pipe. Used the stock O rings with no issues. They were already pretty oiled so I just threw them in made sure they were tight and my car PULLS much better then it did before. And feels great.
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #65
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Having mine installed by my shop today. They tried to talk me out of it but I told them hardparker knows what the hell he's doing

Will report back with any differences.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #66
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Having mine installed by my shop today. They tried to talk me out of it but I told them hardparker knows what the hell he's doing

Will report back with any differences.
Are they doing a smoke or boost test before/after? Which ones specifically are you installing and where?

Did you capture before logs so you can do before/after?
Appreciate 0