F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Have you ever been judged poorly as a BMW owner?
GetBMWParts

08-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #23
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enotech View Post
I'm aware that a lot of people regard BMW drivers (or more generally, expensive european car drivers) as being obnoxious, superior and arrogant.

Just wondering if anyone has actually been judged this way because of the car they own.

I'm pretty sure that this happened to me last night (although "BMW" was never mentioned).

The story goes like this: Often when visiting my girlfriend, if her kids are already parked there, I'll park in the driveway of the vacant block opposite her house. Last night, I was running late for something and was flustered, and when I went to her place to pick her up (in the dark), I accidentally parked in the driveway beside the one I normally park in (and didn't realise this until I'd come back out to the car). This is somebody's driveway, and I was parked in their way, and yes - this was my fault, and I did the wrong thing. Happy to admit that, and I'm sorry. Anyway, when I came back out several minutes later, I found that the guy across the road had parked across his driveway - blocking me in. As he and his kids were entering the house, I ran up to him to explain that I'd done it by accident and I was really sorry, but this guy wouldn't even give me the opportunity to apologise. Instead he stood there lecturing me about what a bad thing I'd done and was asking me low long did I think would be fair for him to keep me waiting to moving his car. I couldn't get a word in and he was being really arrogant. As he finally went to his car to move it, he told his 2 young kids that I was an example of a bad person and that they shouldn't grow up to be like me.

He never mentioned the fact that I drive a BMW, but I'm sure he was thinking "Bloody BMW drivers think they can just park anywhere".

Or maybe he was just an asshole.
And what made you think the driveway of a property that isn't yours and isn't your girlfriend's is a place you can park? Sure, you made an innocent mistake parking in the wrong driveway, but only because you thought it was fine to trespass on someone else's property for your own convenience.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #24
Free Spirit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

People block my driveway almost everyday because its entrance is next to fire hydrant, so instead of taking a chance and parking by the hydrant and not being an a-hold, they completely obstruct my driveway's entrance, because I can't write tickets..

I don't care if you're driving a Bugatti, you're a penis if you do that ish.. You wont understand unless you're in that situation like every other day..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      08-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #25
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Spirit View Post
People block my driveway almost everyday because its entrance is next to fire hydrant, so instead of taking a chance and parking by the hydrant and not being an a-hold, they completely obstruct my driveway's entrance, because I can't write tickets..

I don't care if you're driving a Bugatti, you're a penis if you do that ish.. You wont understand unless you're in that situation like every other day..
The only thing I disagree with here is that others can't appreciate this if they are not similarly affected. Everyone should get this, without having to explain it. I don't care if it's a stranger's driveway, double parking, or a handicapped spot--nowhere is it written that illegal parking is ok if it's "just for 5 minutes". I realize that common courtesy is almost dead in our society, but that doesn't mean that I have to accept it.

Perhaps the guy who yelled at OP didn't need to be so harsh. But OP coming here with a sob story--well, sorry, no sympathy from me.

Last edited by tex2670; 08-10-2018 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 3
      08-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #26
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
And what made you think the driveway of a property that isn't yours and isn't your girlfriend's is a place you can park? Sure, you made an innocent mistake parking in the wrong driveway, but only because you thought it was fine to trespass on someone else's property for your own convenience.
I thought the OP explained fairly why he made a mistake.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      08-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #27
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I just assume I'm being judged while I pass everyone on the highway. Sorry my car likes to go fast.
Appreciate 1
zinner559.00
      08-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #28
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:

Yeah, that's a douche move in itself....dude was probably pissed about that already then he parked in his driveway? He's lucky that all he did was block him in.

It had nothing to do with the brand of car that made him look like a douche.

Sorry OP, but the moral of the story is - don't park in driveways that aren't yours regardless if you think they are vacant.

other people's property
Appreciate 2
      08-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #29
jinxremoved
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335 Dinan Stage 4

I found I was treated differently on the road when I drove my wife's old X1 compared to my 335. Typically, I don't get cut off in the 335 (and I do a ton of driving for work). I often would get cut off in the X1. I think people judge the SUV/Wagon type cars and figure they can just behave how they want.
      08-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #30
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I thought the OP explained fairly why he made a mistake.
Yes--he decided he could park on the vacant lot that he had no right to park on, and then one dark night, he didn't park on that driveway, but on the driveway next door. That's how I read the story.

Which means that if he didn't help himself to the vacant driveway (which he has no right to park on to begin with) for his own convenience, then he wouldn't have made the mistake of parking in the neighbor's driveway.

Many of us have lived in urban areas where parking is a challenge. The world does not owe any of us a parking spot right out front--that only happens in the movies.

Last edited by tex2670; 08-10-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #31
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Hmmm, i get judged poorly all the time.

Don't these people know who i am? <sarc>

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #32
cptcherry
Rep
Drives: '16 430i F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3A53 View Post
Nope, as a matter of fact people are generally a lot more respectful when they see my BMW.
LOL.
I find that people don't let me in when I want to merge, or they cut me off.

Had a hire car while mine was in for a service and it was a completely different story driving a Corolla. haha
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #33
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i; 14' 335i xDrive

Once, I overtook a Ford Taurus driver who was doing 5 MPH below the speed limit in the far left lane (3 lane highway, also known as the passing lane). As soon as I passed him, he increased his speed and we took the same exit, and he said a bunch of nonsense and kept saying "I was a typical asshole European driver" I assumed he was talking about the BMW in regards to European, considering I don't know what "European" looks like?? I usually drive with all my windows down rather then use the A/C. I just laughed and said have a nice day bud and drove off when the light turned green.

But in terms of your story, don't think he cared you drove a BMW. Because people with new/used/shitboxes/exotic car do this. Do you know how many times I have seen someone block someones driveway because people are to lazy to find an actual spot. I feel like this is a lazy thing, instead of taking the time to go and find an actual spot someone decides to just park anywhere they feel is easiest and fastest for them. Be considerate, I don't think you or anyone wants to come how from a long day and see a car blocking there driveway and blocking them from being able to park there car and go inside and enjoy a damn drink. I would be pissed too. Sorry OP, but you fucked up.
Appreciate 3
      08-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #34
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Yes--he decided he could park on the vacant lot that he had no right to park on, and then one dark night, he didn't park on that driveway, but on the driveway next door. That's how I read the story.

Which means that if he didn't help himself to the vacant driveway (which he has no right to park on to begin with) for his own convenience, then he wouldn't have made the mistake of parking in the neighbor's driveway.

Many of us have lived in urban areas where parking is a challenge. The world does not owe any of us a parking spot right out front--that only happens in the movies.
I read that he was confused and parked accidentally in the wrong driveway. Doesn’t seem to me that he did it on purpose. Then again I don’t judge people as harshly as some.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      08-11-2018, 04:13 AM   #35
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Yes, the op was at fault, as he admitted from the beginning. If I were him I'd have listened to the guy's diatribe without contention since I was wrong, but only to a certain point. When he began telling his children how I'm a bad person, we would have had a problem, and it might have gotten ugly. Adding that is going way over the line. At that juncture, he more than made his point and he simply took the opportunity to humiliate and bully the op.
Appreciate 3
Beek707.00
wrickem2101.00
enotech10.50
      08-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #36
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

I wonder how much demographic has to do with it. I live in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley. You can spit in any direction and hit a BMW/Mercedes/Audi/etc (just please don't spit in my direction). I think if someone had a gripe against drivers of those brands around here, they would have a mental breakdown every day on their commute.
yoon_209362.00
      08-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #37
cassius777
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

I used to have mazda, seat, alfa romeo (sport-ish revisions) but since I have a bmw i have noticed that almost every time i'm overtaking, drivers in those cars push the gas in the same time..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #38
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
I wonder how much demographic has to do with it. I live in the Bay Area/Silicon Valley. You can spit in any direction and hit a BMW/Mercedes/Audi/etc (just please don't spit in my direction). I think if someone had a gripe against drivers of those brands around here, they would have a mental breakdown every day on their commute.
I have to agree with you. Here in Long Island NY you got some people with serious money. My 3 series is nothing special per say when you see one every minute on the road.
      08-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #39
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
I have to agree with you. Here in Long Island NY you got some people with serious money. My 3 series is nothing special per say when you see one every minute on the road.
Same here. BMW is entry level decent car for anyone with a decent income in southern CA and 3 series are a dime a dozen. Yes, I have gotten stereotypical jabs and things from coworkers and a few comments before but end of the day, no one cares about BMW 3 series around here. It is the Camry of southern CA. It merely an acceptable mode of transportation and you can pull up to any valet at any restaurant or club anywhere and not be shamed.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #40
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

Pfff .. you got lucky ! My garage neighbor had my old E92 towed [while I was away in Europe cousin asked to use my car - so he did, and parked it in the wrong spot upon returning ...]. Calls me back : "Yeah bro, all good ! Thank you !! I parked it right back, its in garage safe n sound !!!! All good bro !!!! "

So, a couple of days later I get back home; rested and chilled coming down to the garage .. "WTF !!! Where's my car ?!?"

So yeah dude, you got lucky )

p.s. that being said - I do get weird looks occasionally from my co-workers for no reason :/ ... an odd feeling
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #41
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcherry View Post
LOL.
I find that people don't let me in when I want to merge, or they cut me off.

Had a hire car while mine was in for a service and it was a completely different story driving a Corolla. haha
Debatable .. IMHO it all depends on a driver inside of that Bimmer. I mostly get "let in or out" off a lane, a "right-of-a-turn", etc ... as long as I remain civil, show turns long enough, and thankful [blink my hazard lights a couple of times] and so on.

There're a lot of d*ckheads driving BMWs; surely, I don't want to be one of them.
p.s. and no-no, by no means, I'm not implying that you may be doing something to piss'em off.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #42
rbol13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

As others have said, but different location (chicagoland) you see many very expensive, very fast cars here, especially in summer. So a nice 335i doesn't draw much attention. However I have had in the last week TWO v6 accord drivers try to race me lol go figure...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #43
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Well you did park in his driveway when he came home with his kids, so he has a right to be PO’d. I think it’s probably 50/50 on whether someone would shrug it off or be upset, you just got the luck of the draw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Doubt he cared you have a BMW, he did care that you parked in his driveway. I understand his anger, so 50-50 as others have said. No biggie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
I would've had your car towed if you were in my driveway, so he probably handled it better than i would've
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
It had nothing to do with the brand of car.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Spirit View Post

Quote:
The only thing I disagree with here is that others can't appreciate this if they are not similarly affected. Everyone should get this, without having to explain it. I don't care if it's a stranger's driveway, double parking, or a handicapped spot--nowhere is it written that illegal parking is ok if it's "just for 5 minutes". I realize that common courtesy is almost dead in our society, but that doesn't mean that I have to accept it.

Perhaps the guy who yelled at OP didn't need to be so harsh. But OP coming here with a sob story--well, sorry, no sympathy from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Yeah, that's a douche move in itself....dude was probably pissed about that already then he parked in his driveway? He's lucky that all he did was block him in.

It had nothing to do with the brand of car that made him look like a douche.

Sorry OP, but the moral of the story is - don't park in driveways that aren't yours regardless if you think they are vacant.

other people's property
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_83 View Post
Pfff .. you got lucky ! My garage neighbor had my old E92 towed [while I was away in Europe cousin asked to use my car - so he did, and parked it in the wrong spot upon returning ...]. Calls me back : "Yeah bro, all good ! Thank you !! I parked it right back, its in garage safe n sound !!!! All good bro !!!! "

So, a couple of days later I get back home; rested and chilled coming down to the garage .. "WTF !!! Where's my car ?!?"

So yeah dude, you got lucky )

p.s. that being said - I do get weird looks occasionally from my co-workers for no reason :/ ... an odd feeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbol13 View Post
As others have said, but different location (chicagoland) you see many very expensive, very fast cars here, especially in summer. So a nice 335i doesn't draw much attention. However I have had in the last week TWO v6 accord drivers try to race me lol go figure...

This.

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 2
tex26702412.50
chiefneil771.50
      08-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #44
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbol13 View Post
Some people just want to see it run. Had a guy in an Audi wanting to race my COBRA on Sunday morning

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 1
rbol1323.50