F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > custom cold air intake piping and filter/cone relocation¿
ARMA SPEED

04-11-2024, 01:47 AM   #1
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

custom cold air intake piping and filter/cone relocation¿

i just saw an m4 (i know it is a different car altogether) on IG that had a cone filter and snorkel that sat right behind the grill. seems brilliant, and now i am curious how much work that would be to replicate on a b58. anyone done that at all?

on my last bmw e93 n54 (335is) i had a CAI with different piping, i think it was an SRT branded or something like that, but it had the cone just behind the factory fog light, and it seemed like a much better spot for potentially cooler air flow (especially when fog light was removed). anyone on the F series b58's doing this at all?

only problem on my last car was in HI sitting in stopped traffic on a slammed car in the heat it sure seemed to have higher IAT's... was always good once started moving again though.
      04-11-2024, 12:09 PM   #2
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
Take a look at RKTunes front mount intakes. Should be what you're looking for. I've seen some positive reviews as to its performance gains compared to other (under hood) aftermarket intake options.
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2024, 04:25 PM   #3
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

Wow, that looks exactly like what i am looking for thankd. Very suprised such a product isn't more widely discussed on here. Madd props for the information!!
      04-12-2024, 05:12 AM   #4
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

There’s a debate on whether cold air or open intakes even make a difference on our turbo cars. Engine bay temps are nowhere close to the exhaust temps being cooled and recirculated. There are tests (and threads on this forum) with both and the difference is minimal, IAT’s change was like 2-3 degrees.

On a naturally aspirated car I 100% agree.
      04-12-2024, 06:34 AM   #5
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
Happy to help! The reason they come to mind for me, is watching Mikey Botti on instagram build his b58/s58 cars. The RKTunes Front Mount intakes are what he typically runs on his personal cars showing the most gains (still only worth a few HP, but when your building a car to shave hundreths of a second, every hp counts!)
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:45 AM   #6
Fast_Rabbi
Private
Rep
Drives: M140ix

Front mount intake is a no no, useless and that's not our intake work with a looping tube and forced air.
Stock intake is the best for performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 08:24 PM   #7
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

I have the RKTunes FM intake... and I love it.

I didn't have my stock intake long to measure IATs, but I don't think it's just about that.

I'm new to the BMW platform, so, correct me if I'm wrong, but... IATs on the B58 measured after the turbo, not before, right? This means they're measured after compression, which heats the charge.

The RKTunes FM would naturally bring in cooler ambient air, than air from under the hood in the heated engine bay. Air that is cooler is denser, and thus has more moles per cubic volume. I'm still studying the load based tuning concepts (I'm used to old school MAP based tuning) but it would seem to be that since you'd be compressing more moles per cubic volume of air, that you'd be working your turbo less and gaining more air from the cooler ambient charge. So, in a load-based system, from my understanding, this would allow the DME to lower boost, and still yield the same target torque values. It's kind of the fundamental difference in MAP vs load-based tuning. ...and this information is captured from the MAF sensor... not the IAT sensor.

What does the MAF data show on an RKTunes FM intake vs an under-hood intake in the same ambient temp, humidity and pressure...? With all things being equal, the fundamental principles of ideal gas law would say, the RKTunes would yield better performance.
Appreciate 1