F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Ditching the run flats - Finally
GetBMWParts

04-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #45
sleeeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435iMSport, MPPK, LSD, MPE

I have been saved many times by RFTs--and the convenience and deal of buying takeoffs has been wonderful, thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #46
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeeper View Post
I have been saved many times by RFTs--and the convenience and deal of buying takeoffs has been wonderful, thanks
For me, I've not had a single flat in 30 years so the concept that they will save me is not high on my list. Sounds like a good strategy for you however. If runflats save you then obviously its the best way to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #47
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

It's hard for me to understand how BMW sees some sort of silver lining in runflats that Consumer Reports and just about every other auto manufacturer doesn't see. It is even more bewildering that the maker of the Ultimate Driving Machine would be willing to take even a slight performance hit for what appears to be very debatable merits.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #48
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
It's hard for me to understand how BMW sees some sort of silver lining in runflats that Consumer Reports and just about every other auto manufacturer doesn't see. It is even more bewildering that the maker of the Ultimate Driving Machine would be willing to take even a slight performance hit for what appears to be very debatable merits.

Its only a guess on my part, but it could have something to do with money and deals BMW has made with one or more tire companies. BMW wanted something exclusive. Tire companies want something they can sell at a higher unit price. For example, here is an article from 2009 discussing an arrangement BMW had with Bridgestone. http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news...er-oe-contract

So BMW was pretty much committed to this direction. Add the fact that the engineers were drooling over this extra space (no spare) for other goodies and you have a thing.

BMW says that safety is important which is certainly a factor, but I'm guessing its more than that. If BMW is bent on safety at any cost, then why do they still sell cars with halogen headlamps, for example.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2016, 11:52 PM   #49
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Its only a guess on my part, but it could have something to do with money and deals BMW has made with one or more tire companies. BMW wanted something exclusive. Tire companies want something they can sell at a higher unit price. For example, here is an article from 2009 discussing an arrangement BMW had with Bridgestone. http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news...er-oe-contract

So BMW was pretty much committed to this direction. Add the fact that the engineers were drooling over this extra space (no spare) for other goodies and you have a thing.

BMW says that safety is important which is certainly a factor, but I'm guessing its more than that. If BMW is bent on safety at any cost, then why do they still sell cars with halogen headlamps, for example.
You bring up some good points. Obviously there's a cost savings for them in not having to provide the spare plus jack/tools, but it also lets them quote a very large cargo area. The advantages are mostly for the manufacturer, not the consumer.

Paradoxically, they give you non-runflats with the track package, a sort of admission that they can't get the performance they want from runflats. On the other hand, during the last AFC championship game, BMW had a commercial where a man and woman were in a 3-series on a rural road, and the TPMS light comes on. In an attempt to impress the lady passenger, the man stops the car, gets out of his seat, proceeds to the back of the car and sort of pretends he's doing something. He then comes back into the car and proudly proclaims they're good to go, impressing his passenger with the speed with which he was able to correct the situation. The narrator then says: "Runflat tires, standard on the BMW 3-series." The point here is that BMW spent a handsome sum for the sole purpose of extolling the virtues of their runflat tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 01:25 AM   #50
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
If that's the case, where you are having that many blowouts that wouldn't allow you to get to a shop with a normal tire, you got much bigger problems and probably need a jeep or hummer with 35's....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #51
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

LMK5 is correct. Keep in mind that "Runflat Tires" is proudly displayed by BMW on new cars' stickers, right along with "Cold Weather Package", "Tech Package", etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #52
viator092
Rep
Drives: 2018 F32

What about RFTs ability to protect wheels from damage? I've have two road hazard incidents that resulted in sidewall perforations that amazingly didn't bend my 230 wheels with low profile Potenzas on my E92 Sport. Would love to ditch the RFTs. Guess I'm spending the money one way or the other......bent rim or new tires.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #53
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I am thinking about changing to the ExtremeContact DWS06, but can't find them anywhere in my size.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #54
4ZaJuve
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive MPPSK

I swapped off the stock Conti RFTs on my 340 in favor of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06s last December and couldn't have been happier with my decision. The result is a much quieter and more comfortable ride, along with improved traction in inclement weather (especially the snow). Handling is good...frankly I don't notice that much of a difference compared to the RFTs. I'd definitely recommend ditching the RFTs to anyone who's considering it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #55
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I'm looking at ditching my Potenza RFTs, and talked to the "Tire Guru" at the dealership - he says not to do it as the car is designed for RFTs and handling will be affected by the softer sidewalls. People running non RFTs did you experience this?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 01:09 AM   #56
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

I wouldn't trust in his recommendation!

With that argument it wouldn't be possible to run 18" summer wheels and 16" winter wheels since the sidewalls will have different stiffness depending on the profile.

You can option a F30 directly from the BMW factory with everything from 205/60-16 to 255/30-20 tires.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #57
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

So if you order the Track Package - what? It isn't suitable to drive because it has non RFTs?

If he says it comes with Adaptive - then why are the optional wheels/tires RFTs?

Looks like your tire guru is talking out of his butt.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #58
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
I'm looking at ditching my Potenza RFTs, and talked to the "Tire Guru" at the dealership - he says not to do it as the car is designed for RFTs and handling will be affected by the softer sidewalls. People running non RFTs did you experience this?
Dealers want to sell you something. That is why they are there. This tire guru knows the dealer can't sell you regular tires so he laces you with FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt). Just understand he has an agenda, do your research, and buy accordingly. BTW, the answer is ditch the runflats.
Appreciate 4
      04-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #59
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea
For something more constructive, I had Conti DW on my 550i and I liked them. Plenty of grip unless you are doing lots of spirited driving on twisty roads, or very heavy into exit ramps. Quiet, comfortable and predictable control. Not the most aggressive tire you can get, but they certainly fit the bill for me. I'll be getting DWS next time, as you get more life out of them, and I don't need the extra grip of the summer only.
Really? Maybe that was the 5 series and not the tires. These are the tires continental provided for the BMW performance driving school. I autocrossed these tires on M cars and 235i's and they stuck like glue. Not as good as pilot super sports but darn good nonetheless
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #60
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle
I've got 32k miles on my runcraps and its time to put proper tires on the car. I should have done it sooner but I'm a cheapskate and the RFT Continentals were not horrible when compared to the first gen run flats.

Anyway, I'm thinking about the Continental ExtremeContact DW summer or the G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S Ultra High Performance all seasons.

I researched the archives and I'm just looking for feedback from those who have experience with these two tires or any other suggestions.

Thanks.
I have the BF COMP-2 A/S and I really like them. They do very well on the snow. They are great on the wet and even better on the dry surfaces. They have made the car quieter and take the bumps even better than then GY ROF that came with the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #61
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Really? Maybe that was the 5 series and not the tires. These are the tires continental provided for the BMW performance driving school. I autocrossed these tires on M cars and 235i's and they stuck like glue. Not as good as pilot super sports but darn good nonetheless
Could be, that car was bigger and heavier than most I've owned. Didn't have the DW on any other car to compare, but Pirellis on my 325 and Pilot SS on my M3 had/seemed to have more grip. But as I said, the Continental DW had more grip than I needed the way I drove that car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #62
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud
Yeah handling is affected, for the better.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #63
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Z View Post
Out of curiosity, are you going to purchase an aftermarket spare tire kit since you are ditching the run flats, or are you just going to buy one of those fix-a-tire-with-a-can type deals? Believe me, I have thought about ditching the run-flats as well, but since these cars have no spares, it leaves me a bit worried in case something happens.
I did it, loved it and never looked back. Carried a compressor and slime. RFT are evil. I used DW and loved them.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #64
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
What happens if you are a couple of hours from a BMW store and have a failure on a Saturday night......... Wait, get towed, wait until BMW opens Monday am, hope they have a tire............or Get a replacement tire from ANY tire store Sunday am and carry on..........for half the price.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #65
munu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Msports

I am considering one of these tire when I am ready to switch. I am in Florida so looking for Summer tire and these 3 came on top. Michelin is around $50 more per tire but I heard these are pretty good.

Please share your experience or recommendations as I want to see what best works on BMW.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position

Continental ExtremeContact DW
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #66
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

My wife drove our F30 for the first time since I switched to Conti DWS06. She was blown away at how much better it drove.
Appreciate 0