F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Pressure washer recommendation needed
proTUNING Freaks

11-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Pressure washer recommendation needed

I just want to keep the vehicle spot free after a drive through rain with all that road grime on the vehicle. I was wondering if anyone is using a pressure washer to sort of blow all that mess away, and if so do you use a soap attachment?

Just took delivery of my Jet Black X5 and any suggestions in keeping it spot free would be highly appreciated. I really don't mind taking 5-10 minutes to just soak it ever couple of days if needed.

If you think pressure washer is not required, and I can just use my regular hose attachment, please shoot away. Instead of doing a wash once a week or once every 10 days, I rather do quick washes in-between.
      11-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
I find a gas pressure washer on with its gentle tip gives you the flow/pressure combo to get cleaning done. Check out this video on Youtube. It is called the Uber Foam Cannon. I have been using for 2 years and it is a time saver and keeps the swirl marks down by getting a 90% clean without touching the paint.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
pressure washer and foam cannon combo is great. if you use that once a week you probably won't even need hand wash. you cay spray the car down with the pressure washer, foam it down, let it dwell for a few minutes, and rinse off. you can also look into waterless washes. spray on, wipe off, and the car is clean. look into ultima waterless wash or pinnacle waterless wash. hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netwon View Post
I find a gas pressure washer on with its gentle tip gives you the flow/pressure combo to get cleaning done. Check out this video on Youtube. It is called the Uber Foam Cannon. I have been using for 2 years and it is a time saver and keeps the swirl marks down by getting a 90% clean without touching the paint.
Thanks @Netwon, just seeing that beautiful car get covered foam gave me warm sensations, it's as if I was being covered in foam in some fancy spa. That's really amazing how well it sticks on the paint and coats everything so nicely and evenly. The pressure doesn't seem to be that high either, are you sure they are using a pressure washer? It looks like a normal tap pressure with a nozzle. My only concern is the water spots, do you have any suggestions like filters, etc to go between tap & nozzle? Or do you still dry it with something afterwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
pressure washer and foam cannon combo is great. if you use that once a week you probably won't even need hand wash. you cay spray the car down with the pressure washer, foam it down, let it dwell for a few minutes, and rinse off. you can also look into waterless washes. spray on, wipe off, and the car is clean. look into ultima waterless wash or pinnacle waterless wash. hope this helps
I think Turtle Wax used to make waterless wipes, they were amazing, I used them on my pure black Jeep for years and they never damaged or dulled the paint, as long as the car was not too dirty. I haven't seen those ever since, so I just bought a bottle of Meguiars' ultimate quick retailed, which I think serves the same purpose, but I am more concerned about when the car is spotty from driving after rain. It's not dirty but just spotty all over and that's really a quick wash sort of dirtiness, not a waterless.

So I am adding Uber Foam Cannon to my cart.
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-F.../dp/B004GNZYY4

What kind of shampoo do you recommend?

I don't have too much room, but if you guys say this is worthless, I can try to make some room:
http://www.amazon.com/AR-AR118-Elect.../dp/B003B6KQZE
      11-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
The foam cannon requires a pressure washer. You just need to make sure that the pressure wash you want to use has the standard metal threads/quick connect for accessories like the foam cannon.

I use the Adam's All - Purpose cleaner. You can get in 1 gal jugs. Very concentrated and works really well. Has a pleasant smell while you are foaming.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Without getting a pressure washer, can I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-75QGFM...dp/B000XTH1GY?

It has quick detach for rinsing, since all I want to do is clean up the dirt and possibly do it frequently (most likely after each drive in bad rain, or just get rid of salt in the winter) I think it's better I just avoid power washer for the time being, or at least until I get a proper one.

What do you think?
      11-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Without getting a pressure washer, can I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-75QGFM...dp/B000XTH1GY?

It has quick detach for rinsing, since all I want to do is clean up the dirt and possibly do it frequently (most likely after each drive in bad rain, or just get rid of salt in the winter) I think it's better I just avoid power washer for the time being, or at least until I get a proper one.

What do you think?
They work well. Most people use them for applying soap while using a wash mitt. Without the pressure washer you will not have the results you are looking for without going through normal wash steps (mitt). The grim will not come off.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netwon View Post
They work well. Most people use them for applying soap while using a wash mitt. Without the pressure washer you will not have the results you are looking for without going through normal wash steps (mitt). The grim will not come off.
I understand, I think I am going to have to go back to just normal washes, because based on what I have been reading no matter what I cannot get it clean enough "Touchless" which is what I was hoping to do in-between regular washes, especially since I still have to dry it afterwards and any remaining dirt/dust after foam/rinse process will just rub it on the paint while drying since non of these soaps are "self dry" I guess not.
      11-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Classic_Blunders
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I understand, I think I am going to have to go back to just normal washes, because based on what I have been reading no matter what I cannot get it clean enough "Touchless" which is what I was hoping to do in-between regular washes, especially since I still have to dry it afterwards and any remaining dirt/dust after foam/rinse process will just rub it on the paint while drying since non of these soaps are "self dry" I guess not.

+1

I was thinking the same thing recently.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

hyde

Grim and film will always remain after a pressure wash

UNLESS

You have invested on a very good nano wax or BETTER yet a nano coating like GTechniq, Cquartz, 22ple, or soon to be phased out Opti-Coat

Then you can blow all the dirt off easily
Appreciate 0