F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Laser Lights versus LEDs
ARMA SPEED
Closed Thread

01-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
ReddyFreddy
BMW M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Laser Lights versus LEDs

BMW recently exhibited their laser light technology at the CES in Las Vegas.
I have 4 questions:
1. Does anyone know if laser lights will be an option for cars in the US?
2. If the delay in having laser lights as an option in the US is regulatory, when will the laws be reviewed?
3. If the laws are revised to allow laser lights, how long will it take for BMW to bring the lights to the US?
4. What are the benefits of laser lights over LED's?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

answers to 1 and 3 depends on 2.
2. is a big fat who knows. controversial topic because lasers = danger here.
4. They are twice as powerful as LED's. I think more efficient and simpler. and of course much more precise.
      01-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
answers to 1 and 3 depends on 2.
2. is a big fat who knows. controversial topic because lasers = danger here.
4. They are twice as powerful as LED's. I think more efficient and simpler. and of course much more precise.
I agree with the above. I would add that for number 2, don't expect to be soon. The LED and Xenon tech are very good and maturing. Only a small number of manufacturers are bringing in Laser light tech. The cars that have them are expensive and only make up a small portion of cars sold today.
You need a mass market player or powerful figure/reason for laser lights to be fast tracked.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

They are lasers, on a car, nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Laser? I just want amber rear turn signals. What I had in my 70s, 80s and 90s bimmers, which are safer than red turn signals (especially when shared with brake lights, ala F15).
      01-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #7
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

I went on a Laser Light "demo" ride with the head BMW lighting engineer in an i8 back in May when they did the press tour in the LA Area.

Laser light is incredible. 3/8th mile range and it's for real.

I ran into the Engineer at CES and I asked him about Lasers. He said they will be on the new 7 series and they have worked out the issues with the USA. So I expect to see them as an option on the new 7 and on the i8 soon in the USA.

Also, the CES demo was done on an M4 (youtube it)...so maybe on on the //M4 at some point.

The technology is much brighter and always in high beam mode above a certain speed (can't remember 40km/h or m/hr), but the system can block out a portion of the pattern to not blind drivers coming the opposite direction.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 01:41 AM   #8
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
I went on a Laser Light "demo" ride with the head BMW lighting engineer in an i8 back in May when they did the press tour in the LA Area.

Laser light is incredible. 3/8th mile range and it's for real.

I ran into the Engineer at CES and I asked him about Lasers. He said they will be on the new 7 series and they have worked out the issues with the USA. So I expect to see them as an option on the new 7 and on the i8 soon in the USA.

Also, the CES demo was done on an M4 (youtube it)...so maybe on on the //M4 at some point.

The technology is much brighter and always in high beam mode above a certain speed (can't remember 40km/h or m/hr), but the system can block out a portion of the pattern to not blind drivers coming the opposite direction.
If you maintain contact, would much appreciate asking why anti dazzle cannot be coded in US F15s, and if indeed the bottle neck for this is the US LED lights vs. EU. Some 5 series models were coded, and capability lost after BMW software upgrade, never to be coded again. There is speculation about hardware difference, but the engineer you met would know. Thanks.
      01-31-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
They are lasers, on a car, nuff said.
techically no ... laser blinds
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread