F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Chemical Stain?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-11-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
BavarianBanterBus
Rep
Drives: 440i GC M Sport MPPSK

Chemical Stain?

Struggling to find an answer on the detailing forums - nothing matching this.

Its smooth to touch and not coming up with a regular wash.

It looks like a chemical stain of some description but nothing has touched it except for my usual lotions and potions (Gyeon Foam, Restart and Cure).

It was in the garage recently, possibly something from there? It does have an oily appearance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 03:38 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Try some compound, medium cut. That's a small enough area to do by hand. After (hopefully) removing the stain follow up with polish. To prevent a re-occurrence use a sealer on the entire car.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 02:45 PM   #3
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Odd. I'd also give mild polishing a try next. Before going for medium though, I'd try with fine polishing. Always start with the most conservative and move towards more aggressive if necessary.
      11-17-2023, 07:23 AM   #4
BavarianBanterBus
Rep

Thanks both - I’ve debated getting a polisher for a while but never tried my hand at it.

Reckon this is a low risk item to trial it? 😂

Otherwise I’ll book in with the detailer.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 08:23 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

For something that small a polisher isn't required, especially if you're not skilled with one. Sharp corners are where you're most likely to rub through the finish. I wouldn't use one of mine on that small an area, it's not worth the trouble of cleaning the pads when done. That's a job where paper towels will suffice. That's what a detailer would likely do. It's your money....
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 08:53 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBanterBus View Post
Thanks both - I’ve debated getting a polisher for a while but never tried my hand at it.

Reckon this is a low risk item to trial it? ��

Otherwise I’ll book in with the detailer.
Debatable...
I agree with Billfitz that if you don't have any experience with a polisher, the sharp edges are a high-risk area for over-polishing and damaging the paint.
Apart from that - a (dual-action) polisher is a good thing to have and is quite save, but you need to gain some experience with it first on flat areas, get a feel for it, etc., before applying it on more challenging areas.

So I'd also advise you to first give it a try with a hand polisher. A very good one to try is Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0, I can highly recommend it for hand-polishing. Use a mid-hardness polishing pad or a good MF towel. You cannot do anything wrong with it. If it does not help, you may need to apply a polishing machine... or seek professional help.
      11-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #7
BavarianBanterBus
Rep

I had never considered doing it by hand…

I’ll keep my detailer on speed dial and give this a shot - Skyhigh Scratch X gets good reviews but any idea if it contains wax?

Billfitz I noticed you said about sealing afterwards. I had the car ceramic coated - should this have prevented this?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 05:02 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I have my doubts about ceramic coatings. The claims made for them are miraculous, and for me it doesn't compute how 30ml of coating over an entire car can do what they claim.

I use Menzerna products, Step 1 400 for heavy cut, Step 2 2500 for medium cut, Step 3 3500 for polish and Step 4 Power Lock sealant. It's expensive, but only the best for my baby.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 05:11 PM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBanterBus View Post
I had never considered doing it by hand…

I’ll keep my detailer on speed dial and give this a shot - Skyhigh Scratch X gets good reviews but any idea if it contains wax?

Billfitz I noticed you said about sealing afterwards. I had the car ceramic coated - should this have prevented this?
A polishing compound never contains wax.... it removes wax And any ceramic coating you have!

The ceramic coating should have prevented it but may as well have caused it! It may have reacted with something to have these sports appear! There is ceramic coating and ceramic coating. Quality varies.
But that's another reason to try polishing - this way you will first remove the ceramic coating layer and hopefully also the spots.
      11-21-2023, 03:29 AM   #10
BavarianBanterBus
Rep

I’ve gone down the the DA polisher rabbit hole - they look incredibly user friendly but I’ll attempt that patch by hand first.

As for the ceramic coating, I’d definitely have it again. The self cleaning is amazing and keeps the car looking clean for a long time.

However, the chemical resistance doesn’t live up to the hype. I’ve definitely reduced mine by using some products which I reckon are too acidic and odd spots where something has eaten away. Probably user error but I’ve been happy overall.
Appreciate 0