F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Why so much hate for RUN FLATS
ARMA SPEED

08-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Why so much hate for RUN FLATS

Personally, I think they ride just as comfortable as regular tires if you don't over modify and keep it OEM size. I like the RFTs in my X1 and 430i GC.
I prefer the added safety of not having to replace a flat on a 4 lane expressway while everyone is doing 90MPH on Michigan roads or getting out in -20F to replace a tire.

Once you're on 20" and mounting on 255/30 or thinner tires that's when they ride horribly. If I drive with tires/wheel that size, I would need to replace them every other day. They would be ruined within a few miles on the road that we have.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

pretty sure my MPS4S feel nothing like the cement bricks of the Conti RFTs i had. the car drives so much better and smoother.
      08-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
PKR
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 1948 CJ-2A

My first experience with RFs was on a 2005 MINI Cooper S. On that car, with its stiff suspension, they were awful. But I have to say that since then they’ve really improved. That said I suspect that a stiffer suspension setup will still reveal their built-in stiff nature. Another factor: the quality of the roads you travel on. Here in Florida the roads I’m on are very smooth, but up North with frost heaves and tar strips ... ugh!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I dislike my run flats for two reasons:

1. Impact harshness. When going over uneaven seams in the concrete road surface, large tar strips, or other abrupt/sharp defect in the road, the tires transmit that shock into the car. Since the sidewall are so stiff they have a brittle, jittery driving feel on imperfect roads

2. Only BMW dealerships in my area service/carry them. None of the local tire places sell or will deal with run flat tires. Finding performance tires is hard enough, but run-flats are simply not available. The dealership charges horrible prices to do anything with runflats. I'm not going to ransom myself to a dealership for the priveledge of having expensive, harsh riding, heavy tires mounted on my car.

I can't wait for the S001's my dealership so happily mounted on my CPO car to wear out.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #5
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Switching from stock 19" on Bridgestone RFTs to 18" on MPS4S I really don't feel that much of a difference in driving when it comes to comfort. Only on the harshest biggest bumps do I feel like it's a little softer. So 99% of driving I really felt no difference between them.

Grip is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
Northernliving
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i xDrive Convertible

Hate them

I hate my run flats on my 430i. Worst riding, noisy tire I've every had.

I would like to get a space save spare. Any idea how to find out what space saver would fit?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
Ownnij
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

i felt like my run flats just weren't that durable lol
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Some run flat tires are better than other run flats. Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires offer one of the harshest driving experiences. As Desertnate indicated earlier, I also could not wait to replace them on my previous F30 335i sedan. I selected Pirelli P Zero run flat tires in OEM sizes. Excellent tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I selected Pirelli P Zero run flat tires in OEM sizes. Excellent tires.
How is the grip with those tires?

I've run other Pirelli tires (non-RF) on a different car and always felt they were lacking in grip. Dry roads were mediocre, but in the wet they were really lacking. Hydroplaning resistane was pretty good, but the rubber itself would not grip a wet road surface very well at all. Easy turns at low speeds on wet pavement could get the front end to slide out.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
How is the grip with those tires?

I've run other Pirelli tires (non-RF) on a different car and always felt they were lacking in grip. Dry roads were mediocre, but in the wet they were really lacking. Hydroplaning resistane was pretty good, but the rubber itself would not grip a wet road surface very well at all. Easy turns at low speeds on wet pavement could get the front end to slide out.
Every once in a while, SoCal gets enough rain to appreciate (or not) tire's performance in wed conditions. I'd say it's good: 8 out 10.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

To me run flat are ok... but they are expensive and they don't last long either.... $350 for 20k miles fk that.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #12
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Mine came with Bridgestone Driveguards. They weren’t as bad as previous run flats I had but I sold them and the wheels and went to 17s for winter and 19s for summer. Both goflats. I have plug kits and a compressor. Haven’t needed it for my car in awhile. When I give the car to my daughter in a few years, I’m selling the 19s and getting her 17s with runflats.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Personally, I think they ride just as comfortable as regular tires if you don't over modify and keep it OEM size. I like the RFTs in my X1 and 430i GC.
I prefer the added safety of not having to replace a flat on a 4 lane expressway while everyone is doing 90MPH on Michigan roads or getting out in -20F to replace a tire.

Once you're on 20" and mounting on 255/30 or thinner tires that's when they ride horribly. If I drive with tires/wheel that size, I would need to replace them every other day. They would be ruined within a few miles on the road that we have.
Whatever you are smoking, send me some. There is no way you can have that opinion if you actually drove my original Pirelli runflats and then drove my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. (Both on stock 18" wheels) The Michelin's literally make the runflats feel like they were old wooden wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #14
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Whatever you are smoking, send me some. There is no way you can have that opinion if you actually drove my original Pirelli runflats and then drove my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. (Both on stock 18" wheels) The Michelin's literally make the runflats feel like they were old wooden wheels.
I have a 2019 F36 430i GC and it rides just fine on Pirelli run flats.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 12:50 AM   #15
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

I've been running the PS2 ZP for 10 years on my sport package 335d, but decided to go with the AS/3 because I really don't need the HP tires. It's a needless expense. Before he sold it, my son did the same on his 2007 E92 335i, and reported the same (see below).

I've only driven a limited amount; maybe a bit less impact harshness, maybe a bit quieter, a bit less cornering traction. I can perhaps safely leave them on a bit longer and take them off a bit earlier rather than drive on my winter set. Really, the difference is DISCERNABLE, but hardly earth-shatteringly better.

My wife switched from Pirelli on her 328xd to the Driveguard. The Bridgestone is quite a bit better - probably the class of the RFT all-season. I've always been suspicious of the price and quality of both Pirelli and Continental. Had a really bad problem with Conti many years ago. Now I'm a Michelin fanboi.

The price can't be beat at Costco, btw. They come in around $10 less per tire than tires.com (discount tire) or tirerack.com, due to the cheaper mount/balance/stuff.
Appreciate 1
GenXer1363.00
      08-26-2019, 01:47 AM   #16
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I've been running the PS2 ZP for 10 years on my sport package 335d, but decided to go with the AS/3 because I really don't need the HP tires. It's a needless expense. Before he sold it, my son did the same on his 2007 E92 335i, and reported the same (see below).

I've only driven a limited amount; maybe a bit less impact harshness, maybe a bit quieter, a bit less cornering traction. I can perhaps safely leave them on a bit longer and take them off a bit earlier rather than drive on my winter set. Really, the difference is DISCERNABLE, but hardly earth-shatteringly better.

My wife switched from Pirelli on her 328xd to the Driveguard. The Bridgestone is quite a bit better - probably the class of the RFT all-season. I've always been suspicious of the price and quality of both Pirelli and Continental. Had a really bad problem with Conti many years ago. Now I'm a Michelin fanboi.

The price can't be beat at Costco, btw. They come in around $10 less per tire than tires.com (discount tire) or tirerack.com, due to the cheaper mount/balance/stuff.
You are right. Bridgestone Driveguard is smoother and quieter for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 05:18 AM   #17
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I have a 2019 F36 430i GC and it rides just fine on Pirelli run flats.
I'm sure they "ride just fine", I doubt BMW would use them as an OEM tire if they were terrible, and for the general public, most won't notice or care that much. The point most people here are making is that go flat tires ride BETTER, particularly for enthusiastic driving. A lot (if not all) of professional drivers agree that tires make a huge difference in handling and ride. The stock RFTs may be good enough for you, but getting a good set of high performance summer go-flats with undoubtedly make "good enough" better. For some, the trade offs are worth it.
      08-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #18
jb.
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC White 2017 F36

Mix Run Flat with Non run flat Tires

My factory installed Run Flat Potenza S001 255/35/19 are very close to needing replacement. The front tires are fine. I wanted to replace all four tires with non runflats for better steering input handling. I'm wondering what the consequences could be if I replaced the rears with run flats but when the time comes to replace the fronts to non run flat Michelin's Pilot Sport 4S. When the rears need replacement I'd go with Pilot Sport 4S as well. It seems silly to waste money to replace the front tires now. I enjoy very spirited back road driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 01:41 AM   #19
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburrmiller View Post
My factory installed Run Flat Potenza S001 255/35/19 are very close to needing replacement. The front tires are fine. I wanted to replace all four tires with non runflats for better steering input handling. I'm wondering what the consequences could be if I replaced the rears with run flats but when the time comes to replace the fronts to non run flat Michelin's Pilot Sport 4S. When the rears need replacement I'd go with Pilot Sport 4S as well. It seems silly to waste money to replace the front tires now. I enjoy very spirited back road driving.
I ran mismatched tires for a while, though all were non-runflats. Not ideal for the ride and handling balance, but it shouldn't cause any major issues. At one point, when I was staggered, I went through 2 sets of rears before needing to replace the fronts...Michelins in the back, Contis up front. I'm running a square setup partly because of this (now I can rotate), but also for more balanced cornering (less understeery without wider rears).
      09-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #20
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I didn't feel that much of a difference when switching to non-runflats either. But I wasn't going to pay the premium for runflat replacements, so I switched to wider non-runflats.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #21
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I really dislike the Continental Conticontact AS. They ride harsh. Crashes into any undulations and rattles the car. It is also not great on snow. Wear is ok. I think I have another 20k km left before I replace them.

Bridgestone Driveguards are quite comfortable. OK on the snow too. As far as comfortable runflats, I don't mind getting them again. Just don't expect good handling performance.

S001 are good. I like 'em but they were not on the BMW. Wear is ok. I thought they were quite compliant. Loud on the highway though.

Pirelli PZeros Nero are new to me. Just mounted them. So far I find them a bit skittish. Kinda makes me worried when rain arrives here at PNW. May just go back to the S001.

I think the new generation of runflats have come a long way. They are still some bad ones. But I really don't mind having them now. Maybe not for ultimate performance but for every day driving they are fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #22
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

I'll throw my two cents in given the week I just had. My new to me CPO 340 came with brand new S001's. I wasn't excited about having run flats again but figured I would give them a try seeing they were brand new. Honestly they really aren't that bad. Much better than the ones from my e90's. So I was content to wear them out before buying 4S's. Well I picked up a screw in the rear and two shops said they wouldn't repair it. Too close to the sidewalk. I called Bridgestone to find out if I had any road hazard coverage as part of the CPO and they said no, but I could do a prorated replacement through a firestone/bridgestone care center. Which given the newness of the tires wouldn't be too expensive. They said no dice. Run flats don't have mileage warranty only driveguard versions do. They were happy to install one tire for me to the tune of $610. F that. I checked around and tire rack was the cheapest at nearly $500 for one tire. Once I get it to a shop and install I am close to $550-560. So I proceeded directly to Costco and threw down the ol citi card on a set of 4S's.

So, the tldr is runflats have progressed and are decent street tires now but their replacement cost and non repair status makes them still a no go for me.

For anyone looking for some s001's with very little miles I'll be selling my two fronts and one rear next week.
Appreciate 0