F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > $10k detail
VIBE Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
floridaorange
Captain
floridaorange's Avatar
United_States
254
Rep
716
Posts

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: orlando, fl

iTrader: (1)

$10k detail

some solid tips & tricks here:



Appreciate 2
jmg7096.50

      02-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
jmg
Major General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
7097
Rep
8,421
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I was skeptical. No detail is worth $10k, come on.

Then I ended up watching the WHOLE THING. Holy shit do they do a through job. They probably glossed over a lot of details, like the UV coating on the headlights, etc, but wow these guys are pros! I would definitely imagine this is for CONCOURSE cars ONLY that are well over he $100k mark. One drive on a public road and that undercarriage is done. These are cars that are in covered car carriers and driven a few yards at the most to be parked on some showroom.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #3
328dX
David
328dX's Avatar
United_States
351
Rep
1,036
Posts

Drives: 2015 328dX wagon
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Meh...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
DarkStarBimmer's Avatar
207
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
10 boxes of Ziti???
__________________
2017 BSM 330i M-Sport 8AT/JB+/AFE intake
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
floridaorange
Captain
floridaorange's Avatar
United_States
254
Rep
716
Posts

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: orlando, fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I was skeptical. No detail is worth $10k, come on.

Then I ended up watching the WHOLE THING. Holy shit do they do a through job. They probably glossed over a lot of details, like the UV coating on the headlights, etc, but wow these guys are pros! I would definitely imagine this is for CONCOURSE cars ONLY that are well over he $100k mark. One drive on a public road and that undercarriage is done. These are cars that are in covered car carriers and driven a few yards at the most to be parked on some showroom.
Absolutely - I wasn't going to post it until I watched all of it, seems like a decent value actually. It's more like a restoration in many ways.

I hadn't heard of "iron remover" spray before... gonna pick some up and try it. Anyone used it before?
__________________
Stage 2 BM3
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #6
jmg
Major General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
7097
Rep
8,421
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Absolutely - I wasn't going to post it until I watched all of it, seems like a decent value actually. It's more like a restoration in many ways.

I hadn't heard of "iron remover" spray before... gonna pick some up and try it. Anyone used it before?
You mean wheel cleaner? "Iron Remover" is just wheel cleaner designed to remove fallout from brake dust. I use Sonax.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UT3S6Q...6.9%20fl.%20oz.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
jack10525
Lieutenant
jack10525's Avatar
United_States
161
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: 435i GC
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: South FLA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I wash my own car every couple of weeks. It might cost me 5 bucks in supplies. It looks pretty good when I am done. Someday I may try clay barring or getting it done professionally. I'm willing to spend maybe $200 if done professionally. 10k for a detail is retarded!!!! They better be upgrading the turbo, exhaust and tune for that price!!!
__________________
2015 435i GC M-Sport Mineral Grey
BM3
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
floridaorange
Captain
floridaorange's Avatar
United_States
254
Rep
716
Posts

Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: orlando, fl

iTrader: (1)

^if you're not planning on taking your vintage rolls royce to pebble beach then I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
You mean wheel cleaner? "Iron Remover" is just wheel cleaner designed to remove fallout from brake dust. I use Sonax.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UT3S6Q...6.9%20fl.%20oz.

Well yes for the tires - but in the $10k detail video they use it all over the car before clay barring. I've done some research, apparently it does 80% of the job of removing many contaminants so that the clay bar process is less abrasive overall.

I ordered this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1Fqwzjw6oL.jpg
__________________
Stage 2 BM3
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
John in VA
Major
452
Rep
1,246
Posts

Drives: 2015 228i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Well yes for the tires - but in the $10k detail video they use it all over the car before clay barring. I've done some research, apparently it does 80% of the job of removing many contaminants so that the clay bar process is less abrasive overall.
I ordered this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1Fqwzjw6oL.jpg
Iron-X was one of the first products I'd seen ~10 years ago - still good stuff, but there are many similar products now. Here's some:
https://www.autogeek.net/iron-removers.html
__________________
____________________________________________
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #10
sean2648
First Lieutenant
sean2648's Avatar
United_States
133
Rep
316
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Hagerstown

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post
I wash my own car every couple of weeks. It might cost me 5 bucks in supplies. It looks pretty good when I am done. Someday I may try clay barring or getting it done professionally. I'm willing to spend maybe $200 if done professionally. 10k for a detail is retarded!!!! They better be upgrading the turbo, exhaust and tune for that price!!!
200$ for a professional detail is not a detail you will want
__________________
'15 335 M Sport 6MT /// FBO /// Custom Tune /// Custom Interior

Instagram /// Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
rjd598
Major General
rjd598's Avatar
United_States
1162
Rep
6,392
Posts

Drives: F30 340i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post
I wash my own car every couple of weeks. It might cost me 5 bucks in supplies. It looks pretty good when I am done. Someday I may try clay barring or getting it done professionally. I'm willing to spend maybe $200 if done professionally. 10k for a detail is retarded!!!! They better be upgrading the turbo, exhaust and tune for that price!!!
Donít take this the wrong way, but stick with automatic car washes.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
Fronttwelv
Second Lieutenant
Fronttwelv's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 14 328i xdrive msport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Donít take this the wrong way, but stick with automatic car washes.
I second this. Not because I think you're lazy but you could do more damage with that clay bar than good. On the other hand you should definitely learn how to use a clay bar, DA polisher and application of sealants/coatings. Your pride in your car will be at 100%.
__________________
Present: 2014 f30 328xi MSport, 1992 VW GTi VR6 swapped
Past: 2010 335i 6 speed; 2008 VW GTi stage 2, 2004 Subie WRX FBO, 2003 20th Anny VW GTi FBO
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #13
GenXer
First Lieutenant
United_States
174
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: BMW, Chevy, Hyundai hybrid
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: here and there

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
And I thought $2000 for detail, paint correction and ceramic coating was too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:20 AM   #14
Michael340i
Private First Class
58
Rep
152
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: NW England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I think I just watched a car being embalmed
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:28 PM   #15
ANONYMOUS 4
Enlisted Member
17
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: 2017 430i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

waste of money
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #16
neosolidus
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW F30
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: MNUSA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANONYMOUS 4 View Post
waste of money
Thats the same thing that those who buy a 20k chevy think of us with our 50k+++ BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #17
GenXer
First Lieutenant
United_States
174
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: BMW, Chevy, Hyundai hybrid
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: here and there

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosolidus View Post
Thats the same thing that those who buy a 20k chevy think of us with our 50k+++ BMW.
I've owned dozens of Chevy and for $20K you can only get a Cruze. I've owned a Chevy Cruze and I can assure you that it's as much of a waste as a $10K detail.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #18
rjd598
Major General
rjd598's Avatar
United_States
1162
Rep
6,392
Posts

Drives: F30 340i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANONYMOUS 4 View Post
waste of money
to each his own is the point. no need to bash other's decisions. i can easily say your car is a waste of money as well. it's just preference.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 12:22 AM   #19
ANONYMOUS 4
Enlisted Member
17
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: 2017 430i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
to each his own is the point. no need to bash other's decisions. i can easily say your car is a waste of money as well. it's just preference.
You can say what you like as can I.

Its called an opinion..think we are all entitled to one.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #20
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
ronanz's Avatar
United_States
1502
Rep
2,331
Posts

Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southwest Region

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANONYMOUS 4 View Post
waste of money


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
to each his own is the point. no need to bash other's decisions. i can easily say your car is a waste of money as well. it's just preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANONYMOUS 4 View Post
You can say what you like as can I.

Its called an opinion..think we are all entitled to one.

Agreed....

There was a period in time where alternate views led to conversations and/or banter which on occasion, led to a change of opinion..

.
__________________
.

My Build Thread can be found HERE

Last edited by ronanz; 09-13-2019 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 12:34 AM   #21
sean2648
First Lieutenant
sean2648's Avatar
United_States
133
Rep
316
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Hagerstown

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Agreed....

There was a period in time where alternate views led to conversations and/or banter which on occasion, led to a change of opinion..

.
It is unfortunate that time is long gone.

Not to mention we are on the internet
Also car forum
Lastly BMW car forum

RIP
__________________
'15 335 M Sport 6MT /// FBO /// Custom Tune /// Custom Interior

Instagram /// Build Thread
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST