F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Air Conditioning AC Whine and slightly heavy steering?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-16-2019, 03:41 AM   #1
zimzimma95
Rep
Drives: 330d

Exclamation Air Conditioning AC Whine and slightly heavy steering?

Hi guys, I have a 430d N57 Gran Coupe, 2016 model.

I've previously had a brand new 430d and the steering in comfort mode felt noticeably lighter than my current 2016 car. Mine now has 75k on the clock.

As well as this I have noticed that when the AC was on, I could hear a whining coming from the engine area, when I turn the AC off the sound does not occur.

I also have adaptive suspension (I don't know if this is related to the heavier steering issue vs cars without adaptive but thought I'd mention it)

Knowing that the steering feels heavier sometimes, is it more likely to be the belt / tensioner rather than the AC unit? It is probably due a re-gas I would have thought as well actually..

Thoughts?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimzimma95 View Post
Hi guys, I have a 430d N57 Gran Coupe, 2016 model.

I've previously had a brand new 430d and the steering in comfort mode felt noticeably lighter than my current 2016 car. Mine now has 75k on the clock.

As well as this I have noticed that when the AC was on, I could hear a whining coming from the engine area, when I turn the AC off the sound does not occur.

I also have adaptive suspension (I don't know if this is related to the heavier steering issue vs cars without adaptive but thought I'd mention it)

Knowing that the steering feels heavier sometimes, is it more likely to be the belt / tensioner rather than the AC unit? It is probably due a re-gas I would have thought as well actually..

Thoughts?

Thx
The steering has nothing to do with the AC, as it's completely electric and not part of the accessory belt at all (like a hydraulic unit would be).

Regarding the AC whine when on, I have that as well. I think it's somewhat normal.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

When was the last time the AC was serviced? Refrigerant added?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
zimzimma95
Rep
Drives: 330d

By the way I had the AC regassed, whilst it gave me a nice fresh breeze, didn't resolve the whining issue. I believe it to be definitely gearbox and temperature related. Good job warranties exist.
Appreciate 0