F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT EVO retrofit issues
proTUNING Freaks

08-16-2023, 09:39 AM   #111
thatg
Major
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiarj20 View Post
Hi, I'm at the same situation, and instead of repin the oabr, I bought an oabr 20 pin connector with cables and I put some (I don't know the name in english) pieces that takes the signal from the original cables. Look the attached pictures, this is all the info that I found trough different forums. The last one it's because one user says that sometimes the green and white cables of ethernet needs to be swapped.

Has anyone used this harness so they didnt have to repin? Im not familiar and this should be plug and play.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354155990952?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iFLxaYFbS9u&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=SRCZG5l7Qf O&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 03:48 PM   #112
BMWFanaticRob
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

For anyone that's had success, I'm stuck on one issue. I've finished the retrofit, coded everything and the EVO works. The ATM has a ConnectedDrive account and I can get RTTI, weather, etc. some of the time, however, it's very inconsistent. It's not due to service issues or cell signal. For example, I can get in the car in the morning and it works. If I stop for gas and start the car up again, it's not connected. I could stop somewhere else and start it up again and sometimes it connects and others, it won't. Checking with ISTA, it shows a strong signal, but will also show emergency call only. If I reset the ATM with ISTA, it'll connect fine. It's almost as if it gets stuck authenticating with the BMW servers, but only some of the time. I believe the issue is I was not able to code the ATM with the donor VO. I could VO code the EVO with the donor VIN using ESYS, but I always get an error when trying to VO code the ATM with the same donor VIN that I used for the EVO. I can FDL code the ATM with my VIN, and ESYS shows that both the ATM and EVO VIN match, but clearly there's something off somewhere. Any insights from those who have had complete success, specifically about methods to VO code the ATM with the donor VIN.

This is what I get in ESYS when I try to VO code the ATM using the donor VIN. If I VO code using the car VIN, it'll work, but then I have to FDL code the correct VIN in the ATM.

<Caf's suchen>
TAL calculation started.
Locally NCD signature calculation started
Processing ncd signing finished
TAL execution started.
<>
Read SVT before TAL execution started.
TAL execution started.
VCM Update: VCM-Update is deactivated. VCM will not be updated.
<run()-> Value of 'httpServerActivation': true>
<run()-> Value of 'isDeactivateHttp': false>
<ExecutionID=2023/08/30-17:01:38.365>
<[] prepareTALExecution started [PROGRESS]>
<[] prepareTALExecution finished [PROGRESS]>
<[] prepareVehicleForCoding started [PROGRESS]>
<[] prepareVehicleForCoding finished [PROGRESS]>
<[ATM - 61] prepareECUforCoding started [PROGRESS]>
<[ATM - 61] prepareECUforCoding finished [PROGRESS]>
<[ATM - 61] authenticateECUforCoding started [PROGRESS]>
<[ATM - 61] authenticateECUforCoding finished [PROGRESS]>
<[ATM - 61 - cafd_00001f61-001_020_002] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA started [TRANSACTION]>
<[ATM - 61 - cafd_00001f61-001_020_002] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA finished [TRANSACTION]>
<[ATM - 61] finalizeECUCoding started [PROGRESS]>
<MCDDiagService<id=80649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_FinalizeECUCoding, service=WDBI_CPS - WriteDataByIdentifier Codierpruefstempel, description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=ATM_61_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]>
<[ATM - 61] finalizeECUCoding error [PROGRESS]>
<[] job failed with negative response error:
code: service returned global negative response
description: Service WDBI_CPS returned a negative response with response code requestOutOfRange; LinkName: ATM_61_ETHERNET
severity: ERROR
[THROWABLE]>
<[ATM - 61] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files. [WARN]>
<[ATM - 61] - [Exception - ATM - 61] job failed with negative response error:
description: Service WDBI_CPS returned a negative response with response code requestOutOfRange; LinkName: ATM_61_ETHERNET
>
<[] finalizeVehicleCoding started [PROGRESS]>
<[] finalizeVehicleCoding finished [PROGRESS]>
<[] finalizeTALExecution started [PROGRESS]>
<[] finalizeTALExecution finished [PROGRESS]>
<TAL execution finished [TAL_EXECUTION_FINISHED]>
TAL-Execution finished with status: "FinishedWithError".
TAL execution finished. Duration: "4s".
<>
Read SVT after TAL execution started.
Read SVT after TAL execution finished.
TAL execution finished.

Last edited by BMWFanaticRob; 08-30-2023 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 04:32 PM   #113
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
Ahh, yeah can't help you with the FSC portion of unlocking carplay as that's outside my expertise.

Can you still see the NBT in e-sys? Did it stop working after you VO coded it or just randomly on its own after you accessed the nav screen? In my experience I would think that if it was going to be bricked it would happen as soon as you booted it up, not necessarily just because you accessed a particular menu. My first guess is a coding issue.

I'd be wary of someone selling you a specific "component protection removal" too but hopefully someone here with more experience than me will chime in. Reach out to topdonas on ebay, or steve@codemybimmerm or shawnsheridan on these forums.

I'm pretty sure you need an emulator regardless and you'll need to properly code the HU with your vehicle VIN, after that you should be able to boot up the NBT and use the other features that a proper ATM would provide.

Finally once the HU is in your car and "operational" you can go and get the FSC codes to enable extra features like carplay.
Hey Pyski, can you point me in the direction of the can emulator you used? I am having to replace my broken ATM with a second hand one so will need to code the replacement ATM vin to my NBT evo 4 and use a can filter... thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:13 AM   #114
Junaed08
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 428i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The NBT EVO uses the ConnectDrive 4G data to determine its GPS location, it doesn't use a dedicated aerial antenna like the Pre-EVO units did.

Until you get it to have a steady in-vehicle data connection, the GPS will not work.

I can't figure exactly out why the service is grayed-out but that the reason for no GPS data.

Can someone please explain how Brian from Kies managed to get connected drive working with a TCB? I have a 2019 4.1 HU with GPS port and the retrofit Adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 10:23 AM   #115
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Yeah I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that someone has got ConnectedDrive to work with a TCB too but I've never been able to find any info.

I have a TCB and originally had NBT but now have an HW4.1 Evo with a factory GPS port on it so everything is just connected up directly with no wiring changes, adapters or anything else. Just have the green TCB HSD connector disconnected because there's obviously no place for it to go but it would be nice to have the ConnectedDrive stuff available again. Doubt it's really possible though.

Last edited by Zheez; 09-07-2023 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 10:50 AM   #116
BeamerAR15
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

No connected drive stopped me from going to ID6
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 01:09 AM   #117
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaed08 View Post
Can someone please explain how Brian from Kies managed to get connected drive working with a TCB? I have a 2019 4.1 HU with GPS port and the retrofit Adapter
What makes you think he got it working? He even states about 28:45 that when you do retrofits like this you sometime lose some features like connected Drive etc. Even if he didn’t say it, you should have picked it up when he unplugged all the connections from the TCB in the trunk earlier in the video.

There are ways to retrofit to get an ATM/Connected Drive working. He just doesn’t know how. Which is somewhat comical as he says at the end of the video upgrading to the NBT EVO with Touch is one of the coolest and best retrofits he’s done to his 2013 car to get it up to date. Yet he doesn’t have all the features of Connected Drive as if he had everything done.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 01:14 AM   #118
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
Yeah I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that someone has got ConnectedDrive to work with a TCB too but I've never been able to find any info.

I have a TCB and originally had NBT but now have an HW4.1 Evo with a factory GPS port on it so everything is just connected up directly with no wiring changes, adapters or anything else. Just have the green TCB HSD connector disconnected because there's obviously no place for it to go but it would be nice to have the ConnectedDrive stuff available again. Doubt it's really possible though.
It’s not done with a TCB. It’s done with an ATM and works perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 07:25 AM   #119
BeamerAR15
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
It’s not done with a TCB. It’s done with an ATM and works perfectly.
Can you tell us how?

Last edited by BeamerAR15; 09-09-2023 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 08:26 AM   #120
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

It can be done if you retrofit the Evo and ATM from a donor car but as far as I’m aware they have to be a VIN matched pair.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #121
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanaticRob View Post
For anyone that's had success, I'm stuck on one issue. I've finished the retrofit, coded everything and the EVO works. The ATM has a ConnectedDrive account and I can get RTTI, weather, etc. some of the time, however, it's very inconsistent. It's not due to service issues or cell signal. For example, I can get in the car in the morning and it works. If I stop for gas and start the car up again, it's not connected. I could stop somewhere else and start it up again and sometimes it connects and others, it won't. Checking with ISTA, it shows a strong signal, but will also show emergency call only. If I reset the ATM with ISTA, it'll connect fine. It's almost as if it gets stuck authenticating with the BMW servers, but only some of the time. I believe the issue is I was not able to code the ATM with the donor VO. I could VO code the EVO with the donor VIN using ESYS, but I always get an error when trying to VO code the ATM with the same donor VIN that I used for the EVO. I can FDL code the ATM with my VIN, and ESYS shows that both the ATM and EVO VIN match, but clearly there's something off somewhere. Any insights from those who have had complete success, specifically about methods to VO code the ATM with the donor VIN.

This is what I get in ESYS when I try to VO code the ATM using the donor VIN. If I VO code using the car VIN, it'll work, but then I have to FDL code the correct VIN in the ATM.

<Caf's suchen>
TAL calculation started.
Locally NCD signature calculation started
Processing ncd signing finished
TAL execution started.
<>
Read SVT before TAL execution started.
TAL execution started.
VCM Update: VCM-Update is deactivated. VCM will not be updated.
<run()-> Value of 'httpServerActivation': true>
<run()-> Value of 'isDeactivateHttp': false>
<ExecutionID=2023/08/30-17:01:38.365>
<[] prepareTALExecution started [PROGRESS]>
<[] prepareTALExecution finished [PROGRESS]>
<[] prepareVehicleForCoding started [PROGRESS]>
<[] prepareVehicleForCoding finished [PROGRESS]>
<[ATM - 61] prepareECUforCoding started [PROGRESS]>
<[ATM - 61] prepareECUforCoding finished [PROGRESS]>
<[ATM - 61] authenticateECUforCoding started [PROGRESS]>
<[ATM - 61] authenticateECUforCoding finished [PROGRESS]>
<[ATM - 61 - cafd_00001f61-001_020_002] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA started [TRANSACTION]>
<[ATM - 61 - cafd_00001f61-001_020_002] Transaction type: cdDeploy; Message: TA finished [TRANSACTION]>
<[ATM - 61] finalizeECUCoding started [PROGRESS]>
<MCDDiagService<id=80649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_FinalizeECUCoding, service=WDBI_CPS - WriteDataByIdentifier Codierpruefstempel, description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=ATM_61_ETHERNET> [DIAGSERVICE]>
<[ATM - 61] finalizeECUCoding error [PROGRESS]>
<[] job failed with negative response error:
[THROWABLE]>
<[ATM - 61] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files. [WARN]>
<[ATM - 61] - [Exception - ATM - 61] job failed with negative response error:
>
<[] finalizeVehicleCoding started [PROGRESS]>
<[] finalizeVehicleCoding finished [PROGRESS]>
<[] finalizeTALExecution started [PROGRESS]>
<[] finalizeTALExecution finished [PROGRESS]>
<TAL execution finished [TAL_EXECUTION_FINISHED]>
TAL-Execution finished with status: "FinishedWithError".
TAL execution finished. Duration: "4s".
<>
Read SVT after TAL execution started.
Read SVT after TAL execution finished.
TAL execution finished.
You're not supposed to code the ATM at all. The ATM has IMEI number thats registered with BMW's servers and associated with a VIN on the server side. This means if you code an ATM to a different VIN it will not match BMW's records and will be rejected. Thats why everyone uses donor VIN from ATM to perform all these retrofits, because no one can change what BMW has on their server side.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 05:08 PM   #122
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
You don't need a VIN matched pair of ATM/EVO, you just need to know the actual VIN of the ATM. The ATM VIN cannot be changed, full stop. This is why so many of the eBay ATMs are bad deals, the sellers rarely know the VIN of the car they came out of.

What you need to do is install a CAN filter and VO code the EVO headunit with the VIN of the ATM. Then any time you do any FDL coding of the EVO HU you need to use a custom FA with the VIN of the ATM.

Source: I have a functional ATM with full connecteddrive, remote services, traffic etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 05:15 PM   #123
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989964 View Post
Hey Pyski, can you point me in the direction of the can emulator you used? I am having to replace my broken ATM with a second hand one so will need to code the replacement ATM vin to my NBT evo 4 and use a can filter... thanks
I bought mine from an eBay vendor called topdonas but honestly all the CAN filters are the same, you just need to get the writing correct. And you can't code the ATM, as I've said in this thread you need to code the HU with the VIN of the ATM. If you don't know the VIN of the ATM then you're SOL.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 04:37 AM   #124
pepe1234
Rep
Drives: X5 G05, X1 F48

Hi, im after retrofitting NBT Evo to my wife's F48, is it possible to code somehow to automatically turn on heated seats/stearing wheel when outside temperature is low? I can't find this option in ID 6 but I saw a video which shows that it was available in ID6:
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 04:15 PM   #125
tallandrew
Rep
Drives: m sport 330d

hi I am trying to do the ID6 retro fit you did.

I am a bit concerned i have ruined my ATM module. I bought the HW4.1 ID6 precoded to my cars VIN so called plug and play. it pulgged in and worked fine but obviously had no GPS. I bought a ATM retro fit cable which includes a filter from topdonis and an ATM, I simply connected the ATM did no coding, the GPS working and I drove the car for a year.

I recently came back to the project to correct some small problems and to get the connect and drive services working. I followed your recommendations changed the VIN on the headunit to match the ATM and created 2 FA's. I VO coded all the ECU's except the ATM and HU with the FA that has my cars VIN. I then coded the HU with the the FA that has ATM's vin. I left the ATM unchanged.

I am worried that by connecting the ATM to my HU before changing the VIN on the headunit I have locked it. is that true?

Last edited by tallandrew; 11-12-2023 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 10:27 AM   #126
tallandrew
Rep
Drives: m sport 330d

I completed the retro fit and the ATM was not toast despite connecting it to a headunit which was not coded to match for one year.

since i got the two matched i have been able to access the connect and drive services for the donar car and use the remote functions which were booked onto the donar. ATM.

I would conclude it is not necessary to buy an ATM for which you have the chassis number, you can read this out using esys once connected. Then code the headunit to match the new ATM VIN. After that obtain a new set of FSC codes for the headunit which match the new ATM VIN/chassis number. The 2 components in my system sat behind a can filter before interfacing with the car.

I was very careful to avoid coding the ATM. I also did not connect to BMW until the headunit was coded to match the ATM.

I have setup 2 distinct FA's which are identicle appart from the new vin and time criteria. Changing the time criteria on the Headunit sorted out the screen alignment problems and i only needed to FDL code airplay to full screen.

hope this helps and serves as a reminder for me if i need to do this again.
Appreciate 2
rlesko232.50
      01-02-2024, 07:09 PM   #127
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Wondering if anyone can help with the following situation- I have successfully installed an NBT Evo + ATM with donor VINs behind CAN Filter. Injected CAFD file and VO Coded the Evo with donor VIN and everything is generally working (couple minor things need to be addressed still like microphone 2). I was even able to receive an activation code and add the car to my BMW account.

The problem: I am not getting the BMW "Apps" like Weather, RTTI, etc. If I go to the ConnectedDrive store within the MyBMW App or web browser it doesn't even offer me the option of purchasing them, it only offers me BMW Assist which I think is something different?

I VO Coded the EVO with my cars factory VO + Donor VIN 600 SA elements -
S609 Navigation system Professional
S610 Head-up display
S645 BMW US Radio
S655 Satellite tuner
S676 HiFi speaker system
S697 Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6AC Intelligent emergency call
S6AE Teleservices
S6AK Connected Drive Services
S6AM Real-Time Traffic Information
S6AP Remote Services
S6CP Preparation Apple CarPlay
S6NS Enhanced Bluetooth
S6WA Instrument panel with extended scope

Again, I got an activation code on the car to add it to my account, GPS / navigation is working, but BMW ConnectedDrive store doesn't offer me RTTI/Weather. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 01:00 AM   #128
F20FAN_283
Rep
Drives: F20 120i

HI!. Im jumping in here as my problem might be related.

I have upgraded to NBT2 from S606/Business NAV. I have original ATM in car.

My issue is that GPS signal is no where near my location and also I don't get any remote services to work. Also the car doesn't receive the connected car message to activate connected drive in the idrive.
To get this working will be the last piece to get my head unit modification 100%.

I just hope I did not screw up something after I installed the head unit as it had a different VIN than my car.
I Use custom FSC codes and no emulator cable.
I read that if the ATM connects with a different VIN it then it disables it self!
What should be the next step in checking what's going on ?
Appreciate 0