F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Knocking sound f30 335i
proTUNING Freaks

01-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
sukhparm.7
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Knocking sound f30 335i

My 2015 335i with less than 20k km on it makes a knocking/ clunk sound while going over minor bumps on low speed.
If driving over 40km/h i don't hear anything.
Any thoughts?
Am still under cpo warranty but only concern is i have after market wheels for winter.
If i take it in can i be denied warranty claim for suspension or steering column ?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
khafner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I'll bet its a bad control arm. Had one go at 12000 miles and BMW could not find the problem (I even told them what it was) until it was way too loose at about 22,000 miles. Now I've got the clunk back and bet its the other side but bmw says everything is tight. They could not get it to make the noise but I showed the tech and he agrees it clunks. The service manager says I drive too hard. He needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. The manager said my brakes were OK but I made them mic them and they needed to turn all four rotors per BMW. The easiest way to test control arms is to come to a stop facing down a hill and hold the brake for a second and then let it off fast. That gets them to clunk. Slowing down slowly and then brake harder at low speeds can also cause a clunk. Clunks going over bumps could be stabilizer ends gone bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
neil4
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhparm.7 View Post
My 2015 335i with less than 20k km on it makes a knocking/ clunk sound while going over minor bumps on low speed.
If driving over 40km/h i don't hear anything.
Any thoughts?
Am still under cpo warranty but only concern is i have after market wheels for winter.
If i take it in can i be denied warranty claim for suspension or steering column ?
I have a 2014 335i xDrive with adaptive suspension with 47K miles - I had the same issue as you. First thought was the steering rack. Brought it in and my dealer replaced the passenger side strut, strut mount and spring. Car is now quiet and back to normal.

I am starting to hear a faint knocking coming from the driver side now but it is not nearly as bad as the passenger side was prior to getting the strut assembly replaced. Like you, my car is a CPO but suspension parts are not covered. Luckily, I was only 1 day out of the 4 year/50,000 factory warranty so my dealership (with some pressure from me) goodwill the strut replacement. Had it not been covered, they wanted $1,550 for parts and labor.

Best of luck diagnosing your knocking - I can tell you I find it pretty piss poor that a car of this caliber would have suspension problems like this at such as early age.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
sukhparm.7
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Thanks for your response. I hope they can fix it as its really annoying to have this kind of problem.
Did any of you guys had after market wheels at the time of diagnostics? I was wondering if they will try to deny warranty due to wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil4 View Post
I have a 2014 335i xDrive with adaptive suspension with 47K miles - I had the same issue as you. First thought was the steering rack. Brought it in and my dealer replaced the passenger side strut, strut mount and spring. Car is now quiet and back to normal.

I am starting to hear a faint knocking coming from the driver side now but it is not nearly as bad as the passenger side was prior to getting the strut assembly replaced. Like you, my car is a CPO but suspension parts are not covered. Luckily, I was only 1 day out of the 4 year/50,000 factory warranty so my dealership (with some pressure from me) goodwill the strut replacement. Had it not been covered, they wanted $1,550 for parts and labor.

Best of luck diagnosing your knocking - I can tell you I find it pretty piss poor that a car of this caliber would have suspension problems like this at such as early age.

Neil
Any time I go over a speed bump I have this knocking issue as well. Dealer changed struts,hubs,1 control arm you name it. I still get the annoying clunk over speed bumps.