F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT EVO retrofit issues
GetBMWParts

12-09-2019, 02:13 AM   #1
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
NBT EVO retrofit issues

I have retrofitted a 2019 NBT EVO HW4.1 headunit along with a CAN filter and wiring harness (https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F-SERIE...Y/163330868386). I also added a 10.25" touchscreen and an ATM that was verified to work by another member here. I changed the VIN in the headunit to the VIN of the ATM in e-sys, VO coded the HU_NBT2, and then coded the proper resolution for the screen.

When it first booted up the main menu was just a list starting in the middle of the screen and then scrolling down out of view. Certain menus and apps filled the screen ok but there were many alignment issues.

I went and coded HMI_VERSION to "id5" (id4_plus_plus and id5 were the only options), but then when I code HMI_ID_VERSION to "id6" the UI looks like the pictures. When I code it for "id5" it works exactly as it should and "id6_lite" works as well, but this headunit should be able to handle ID6.

Is there some other coding parameters I'm missing?

Furthermore, GPS is not working and in the ConnectedDrive menu the 'Update services' link is greyed out. FM radio and bluetooth work though. I went to read the FDL coding for the ATM in e-sys and I get connectivity/timeout errors. Any thoughts on what to do there? This harness should be 100% plug and play.

Edit: for anyone reading this down the road I wanted to edit the first post to say that I got connecteddrive services 100% working. When I first coded the HU I changed the VIN to the ATM VIN using 'FSC Extended' in e-sys but I did not change the VIN in my FA before VO coding NBT2. GPS and Navigation worked but the car did not receive the confirmation code when registering the ATM VIN on the connecteddrive website. Later I went back and changed the VIN in my FA to the VIN of the ATM and VO coded NBT2 again, after that I was able to register online and the car received the confirmation code. Navigation, BMW Apps, and the connecteddrive phone app all work great now

Edited again just to clarify my above edit:

You should create and maintain 2 discrete FAs that are identical except for one difference: #1 has the VIN from your ATM and #2 has the VIN for your actual vehicle. Use the #1 FA with the ATM VIN for coding NBT ONLY! Use the #2 FA with your vehicle VIN when VO coding any other module.

Last edited by psyki; 09-14-2022 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

@shawnsheridan Encanto steve@codemybimmer are among the best minds for this, imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post

Furthermore, GPS is not working and in the ConnectedDrive menu the 'Update services' link is greyed out. FM radio and bluetooth work though. I went to read the FDL coding for the ATM in e-sys and I get connectivity/timeout errors. Any thoughts on what to do there? This harness should be 100% plug and play.

The NBT EVO uses the ConnectDrive 4G data to determine its GPS location, it doesn't use a dedicated aerial antenna like the Pre-EVO units did.

Until you get it to have a steady in-vehicle data connection, the GPS will not work.

I can't figure exactly out why the service is grayed-out but that the reason for no GPS data.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The NBT EVO uses the ConnectDrive 4G data to determine its GPS location, it doesn't use a dedicated aerial antenna like the Pre-EVO units did.

Until you get it to have a steady in-vehicle data connection, the GPS will not work.

I can't figure exactly out why the service is grayed-out but that the reason for no GPS data.

The wiring harness I have connects the blue GPS plug from the chassis to the purple connector on the ATM. I've been advised that the greyed out 'update services' link may be due to a mismatch between ATM VIN and NBT. I'm quite certain of the ATM VIN and I coded the headunit via these steps: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1555654, and when I run the 'readVIN' job in transmitter the NBT shows the correct ATM VIN.

I believe I have everything hooked up correctly. The fact that I can't read FDL from the ATM in e-sys is troubling, I will check in ISTA for errors there.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Poochie
United_States
Rep

You're probably going to have a slew of similar errors in ISTA-D, good luck trying to figuring out which out is related to the data outage. However, mismatch a VIN in the ATM and headunit sounds like the likely culprit.

I was considering this mod since I have a NBT EVO but ID4 but seeing how intricate the installation is, I'm beginning to believe that CarPlay and Waze is not worth the hassle.

Nevertheless, good luck and keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
You're probably going to have a slew of similar errors in ISTA-D, good luck trying to figuring out which out is related to the data outage. However, mismatch a VIN in the ATM and headunit sounds like the likely culprit.

I was considering this mod since I have a NBT EVO but ID4 but seeing how intricate the installation is, I'm beginning to believe that CarPlay and Waze is not worth the hassle.

I cleared all the years worth of errors in ISTA recently so anything in there now to be related to this retrofit. What's interesting is I can see the cafd number in e-sys, it's only when I try to read coding data that I get an error message. I'm going to check codes in ISTA and then double check the wiring harness.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I cleared all the years worth of errors in ISTA recently so anything in there now to be related to this retrofit. What's interesting is I can see the cafd number in e-sys, it's only when I try to read coding data that I get an error message. I'm going to check codes in ISTA and then double check the wiring harness.
If you can't get the ATM to sync with the GPS, you could code it work with the external antenna instead.

Since certain parts of the world doesn't have ConnectDrive data service, BMW coded EVO units in those regions to instead use external antenna for GPS, instead of the ATM, like in the US drives.

You just have to figure out the proper parameters to make those change, if you're unable to resolve the gray-out issue and choose to go that route.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you can't get the ATM to sync with the GPS, you could code it work with the external antenna instead.

Since certain parts of the world doesn't have ConnectDrive data service, BMW coded EVO units in those regions to instead use external antenna for GPS, instead of the ATM, like in the US drives.

You just have to figure out the proper parameters to make those change, if you're unable to resolve the gray-out issue and choose to go that route.
The latest HU units including iDrive 6 units do NOT have an external GPS antenna input.

ATM is a must to feed GPS signal.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The latest HU iDrive 6 units do NOT have an external GPS antenna input.

ATM is a must to feed GPS signal.
Oh ok, I heard differently but I guess in regions that doesn't have a proper internet feed the hard drive is different, in which it accommodates an external antenna for the GPS feed.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Check out this GPS emulator..

https://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store...product_id=119
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why would someone pay $400+ for that when you can easily buy a used ATM off eBay to supply GPS info correctly for idrive 5 and 6?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why would someone pay $400+ for that when you can easily buy a used ATM off eBay to supply GPS info correctly for idrive 5 and 6 for less than $100?
It seems like a pain in the ass to sync a new VIN to a used ATM.

I can't find one case of someone successfully doing so.

This seems like a easier workaround..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why would someone pay $400+ for that when you can easily buy a used ATM off eBay to supply GPS info correctly for idrive 5 and 6 for less than $100?

OP already has the ATM synced and showing his GPS info correctly.

If not concerned about connected drive, very easy to make VINs match and work.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #14
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

OP already has the ATM synced.

I see, it would be cool to retain the Connectdrive services also with a ID6 upgrade.

What's required exactly to go from a NBT EVO ID4 to a ID6 and retain all the functionality?

I'm still learning the ropes of this mod, it's pretty intricate for a novice.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see, it would be cool to retain the Connectdrive services also with a ID6 upgrade.

What's required exactly to go from a NBT EVO ID4 to a ID6 and retain all the functionality?

If you already have an ATM from a NBT EVO, it's a walk in the park.

All that's needed is iDrive 6 HU (really should get HW 4.1, the latest and most likely the last iDrive 6 Hardware Level) NOT FROM OVERSEAS. I'd be safe and only buy a USA, not even Canadian model.

Code your VIN in the HU and a few changes in NBT2 coding to change to ID6 with esys.

As your ATM is already installed and working with your VIN, no changes needed there.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All that's needed is iDrive 6 HU (really should get HW 4.1, the latest and most likely the last iDrive 6 Hardware Level) NOT FROM OVERSEAS.

Code your VIN and a few changes in the coding to change to ID6.

As your ATM is already installed and working with your VIN, no changes needed there.
Cool, thanks!

Silly FYI, why not from overseas; does the harddrive vary from a US-spec unit or is it a language issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All that's needed is iDrive 6 HU (really should get HW 4.1, the latest and most likely the last iDrive 6 Hardware Level) NOT FROM OVERSEAS.

Code your VIN and a few changes in the coding to change to ID6.

Cool, thanks!

Silly FYI, why not from overseas; does the harddrive vary from a US-spec unit or is it a language issue?
1) They use L Band for Broadcast

2) They do not have HDRadio

3) They do not have SiriusXM chips

Canadian is technically SiriusXM Canada and might have subscription issues to USA service at some point.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #18
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Update: I got GPS to work, there was a wiring issue that once resolved the location resolved immediately. I purchased a set of FSC codes from a vendor that I haven't been able to get working yet, apparently this headunit is too new to use the thumbdrive flash trick and when I tried using the vendor provided Feature Installer I'm getting an error message. I've reach out to them for assistance, I'll update when I have new info.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-10-2019, 12:50 AM   #19
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Update: I got GPS to work, there was a wiring issue that once resolved the location resolved immediately. I purchased a set of FSC codes from a vendor that I haven't been able to get working yet, apparently this headunit is too new to use the thumbdrive flash trick and when I tried using the vendor provided Feature Installer I'm getting an error message. I've reach out to them for assistance, I'll update when I have new info.
Are you able to ping 169.254.199.99? If not, you will need to move the Ethernet pins from quad lock over to OABR in order for feature installer to be able to communicate with the HU.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4488.00
Poochie9104.50
      12-10-2019, 01:43 AM   #20
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Are you able to ping 169.254.199.99? If not, you will need to move the Ethernet pins from quad lock over to OABR in order for feature installer to be able to communicate with the HU.
Thanks for the tip! The vendor I bought the FSC set from is who made the wiring harness I'm using. Can you elaborate on exactly what pins need to get moved and where? Do they need to be moved or can I splice them?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #21
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! The vendor I bought the FSC set from is who made the wiring harness I'm using. Can you elaborate on exactly what pins need to get moved and where? Do they need to be moved or can I splice them?
You can splice it but you'll need an OEM OABR connector along with the proper crimps. Usually in this type of scenario, we would have the customer ship the HU to us as OABR is required for flashing & feature installer.

From what I know, the Ethernet pins are on the bottom right slot of quad lock and those wires are really thin to just take out.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Quote:
You can splice it but you'll need an OEM OABR connector along with the proper crimps. Usually in this type of scenario, we would have the customer ship the HU to us as OABR is required for flashing & feature installer.

From what I know, the Ethernet pins are on the bottom right slot of quad lock and those wires are really thin to just take out.
Will this work for that purpose?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-NBT-EVO...r/113887576479
Appreciate 0