F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT EVO retrofit issues
proTUNING Freaks

08-22-2022, 12:28 PM   #89
Chris.let
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.let View Post
Yes true. Scanned with ISTA and component protection is active. So definitely need oabr.
not necessarily as well
what's the software version?
Can't say, the thing locked itself before I could get to that.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:15 PM   #90
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
It doesn't allow you to inject a CAFD and VO code?
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:48 PM   #91
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
You should be able to read software version by ista/esys/tool32
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:03 AM   #92
XXLdutch
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 420

Headunit crash

Hi, I'm driving a F33 420 with a NBT EVO ID4 headunit. Had this unit upgraded to Apple Carplay with wifi some time ago which worked absolutely brilliantly. Unitl mid-drive the whole thing seemd to crash, went black and then rebooted but with only a functional radio. It still connects to wifi and bluetooth but no Carplay menu and the default nav system also stopped working. The rest of the menu works fine. Connecting via USB and snap-in also does not work anymore.

Upon entering the car and before starting the engine, I now hear a clicking noise coming from behind the dash, like a blinker. Could be a malfunctioning solenoid?

Any thoughts, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 12:58 AM   #93
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXLdutch View Post
Hi, I'm driving a F33 420 with a NBT EVO ID4 headunit. Had this unit upgraded to Apple Carplay with wifi some time ago which worked absolutely brilliantly. Unitl mid-drive the whole thing seemd to crash, went black and then rebooted but with only a functional radio. It still connects to wifi and bluetooth but no Carplay menu and the default nav system also stopped working. The rest of the menu works fine. Connecting via USB and snap-in also does not work anymore.

Upon entering the car and before starting the engine, I now hear a clicking noise coming from behind the dash, like a blinker. Could be a malfunctioning solenoid?

Any thoughts, anyone?
Sounds like a faulty hard drive. If you're handy enough to replace it with an SSD, we can help with having it programmed.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 09:19 AM   #94
piknuie
Rep
Drives: bnw 420i

I have a problem with Connected Drive / ATM

I had 6WA, with NBT (ID4) and TCB 3G.
I retrofitted the 6WB, with NBTevo (ID5 with ID6 graphics) and 4G ATM.
Everything works, the Connected menu is populated with Weather, News, Flickr, etc etc.

I can - from app - start remote commands (open, close and beep).
But most importantly (for me) it doesn't work. It does not come out 'ALL OK' and it does not show me the details of windows and doors (if closed or open).

From the Connected Drive site I can buy the usual packages I bought with the TCB 3G, and not new with 4G ..

By making a CarData, I am returned 'SIM status': ACTIVE.

I called Connected drive and I let myself dare the IMEI of the sim that sees a screen: it coincides with the label of my new ATM.

Can you help me to enable the status of the doors and windows from the app?

edit: the VIN is original MINE. In ATM and in HeadUnit.. All original
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 08:33 AM   #95
Chris.let
Rep

Bit of an issue.

Evo retrofit has been mostly successful. Sorted out the OABR issues I was talking about earlier and got it coded.

But the unit I got out of the wrecked G30 does not have the MOST connectors on the Quadlock connectors. The KOMBI and EVO aren't talking. I decided to open the EVO up thinking they could be pushed in. There's nothing. Please attaches pics. The other pics are of my previous NBT unit and those have the MOST.

Anyone ever seen something like this?
Is there a solution?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 02:34 PM   #96
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Bit of an issue.

Evo retrofit has been mostly successful. Sorted out the OABR issues I was talking about earlier and got it coded.

But the unit I got out of the wrecked G30 does not have the MOST connectors on the Quadlock connectors. The KOMBI and EVO aren't talking. I decided to open the EVO up thinking they could be pushed in. There's nothing. Please attaches pics. The other pics are of my previous NBT unit and those have the MOST.

Is there a solution?
Only way is to replace for the one with MOST
Appreciate 1
psyki285.00
      10-09-2022, 03:31 PM   #97
Chris.let
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bit of an issue.

Is there a solution?
Quote:
Quote:
Bit of an issue.

Is there a solution?
Ouch. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 05:37 AM   #98
MacAir
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 05:05 PM   #99
Chris.let
Rep

So I managed to source an HW4.1 EVO unit with MOST, cost about $250. It seems to have more advanced component protection; it gets into some sort of boot loop and has a clicking sound every time it restarts. How do you get around this? Only with flashing the unit? If yes, does it matter whether I flash newer or older software?

Also, on average, how long does it take to flash NBT EVO over ENET only?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 02:20 AM   #100
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So I managed to source an HW4.1 EVO unit with MOST, cost about $250. It seems to have more advanced component protection; it gets into some sort of boot loop and has a clicking sound every time it restarts. How do you get around this? Only with flashing the unit? If yes, does it matter whether I flash newer or older software?

May have bad HDD. It may be broken too.
250$ is very cheap
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 02:33 AM   #101
Chris.let
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

250$ is very cheap
Quote:
Quote:

250$ is very cheap
Yea they go for pretty cheap in my country. The G30 unit I am swapping out cost about $165. It was perfect except for the MOST issue.

Anyway, I also suspect it's a bad HDD but I read somewhere else that with HW 4.1 it's component protection. I thought I should bring it here to see if anyone else has had the same issue. I will try to see if I cannot flash it to by pass component protection.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 05:11 AM   #102
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
250$ is very cheap
I paid $550 plus shipping for a HW4.1 unit in 2019! It was from an F22 so I knew it would be compatible, there's enough other headaches along the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 04:12 PM   #103
MarinoVir
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320d xdrive

[QUOTE=Chris.let;29471603]Yea they go for pretty cheap in my country. The G30 unit I am swapping out cost about $165. It was perfect except for the MOST issue.

sorry, what is your country?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 04:13 PM   #104
Chris.let
Rep

[QUOTE=MarinoVir;29577412]
Quote:
Yea they go for pretty cheap in my country. The G30 unit I am swapping out cost about $165. It was perfect except for the MOST issue.

sorry, what is your country?
South Africa
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 01:17 PM   #105
alberico
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 2017

Hi bimmerheads, I have an issue I think very related to this thread.

I'm trying to retrofit my F48 (October 2017) with an NBT EVO head unit. I originally had EntryNav2 (ENAVEVO) head unit. I purchased a black top NBT EVO (HW 4.1), along with 8,8" touch screen and touch iDrive controller. Did the installation myself and screen and touch controller works.

However...

My original head unit has a 6-pin ATM connector (3 of the pins are occupied, white, green and black), while EVO has a 20-pin OABR port on the back.

My problems are as follows:
- No GPS signal
- No driving data (consumption, mileage etc)
- No time and date

The seller told me this was going to be plug&play, but I suppose that's not the case.

It feels like the HU doesn't communicate with the rest of the car.

I'd much appreciate if anyone could shed some light to this.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 05:05 PM   #106
Chris.let
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberico View Post
Hi bimmerheads, I have an issue I think very related to this thread.

I'm trying to retrofit my F48 (October 2017) with an NBT EVO head unit. I originally had EntryNav2 (ENAVEVO) head unit. I purchased a black top NBT EVO (HW 4.1), along with 8,8" touch screen and touch iDrive controller. Did the installation myself and screen and touch controller works.

However...

My original head unit has a 6-pin ATM connector (3 of the pins are occupied, white, green and black), while EVO has a 20-pin OABR port on the back.

My problems are as follows:
- No GPS signal
- No driving data (consumption, mileage etc)
- No time and date

The seller told me this was going to be plug&play, but I suppose that's not the case.

It feels like the HU doesn't communicate with the rest of the car.

I'd much appreciate if anyone could shed some light to this.
I believe you need to buy an EVO 20pin OABR connector (available on ebay) and repin the wires from the 6pin OABR to the 20pin one. I read somewhere that the White, Green & either Black or Clear need to be re-pinned to the EVO OABR into pins 2,4 & 8 respectively.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 03:48 PM   #107
alberico
Rep

Quote:
I believe you need to buy an EVO 20pin OABR connector (available on ebay) and repin the wires from the 6pin OABR to the 20pin one. I read somewhere that the White, Green & either Black or Clear need to be re-pinned to the EVO OABR into pins 2,4 & 8 respectively.
Thanks for the reply Chris.

So you think I wouldn't necessarily need to move anything from the existing quadlock to the 20-pin OABR connector, other than the 3 wires from previous 6-pin connector.

Do you think that will allow the gps signal as well as all the other data from the KOMBI to the HU as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:51 PM   #108
Chris.let
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberico View Post
Thanks for the reply Chris.

So you think I wouldn't necessarily need to move anything from the existing quadlock to the 20-pin OABR connector, other than the 3 wires from previous 6-pin connector.

Do you think that will allow the gps signal as well as all the other data from the KOMBI to the HU as well?
Yep. I am no expert but that sounds about right. ATM carries all that data and GPS signal. If you can connect it to the head uniy, then you should he good to go. All the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:54 PM   #109
alberico
Rep

Quote:
Yep. I am no expert but that sounds about right. ATM carries all that data and GPS signal. If you can connect it to the head uniy, then you should he good to go. All the best.
Thanks a bunch. I'm waiting for the 20-pin OABR connector for the EVO. When it arrives, without further ado, I'll give this a try. And will probably write down a comprehensive guide for people who are in my exact situation. Since F48s are not as common as F30/F31s, the number of people who are doing this retrofit is very limited and reliable sources are very scarce.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 09:12 AM   #110
isiarj20
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 LCI 2020

Hi, I'm at the same situation, and instead of repin the oabr, I bought an oabr 20 pin connector with cables and I put some (I don't know the name in english) pieces that takes the signal from the original cables. Look the attached pictures, this is all the info that I found trough different forums. The last one it's because one user says that sometimes the green and white cables of ethernet needs to be swapped.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0