F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Help with an amp install on basic stereo sound system
Extreme Powerhouse

04-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
dorrin2008
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series F30

Help with an amp install on basic stereo sound system

Hi,
I have a '12 f30, with nbt retrofitted, I'm trying to install an aftermarket amplifier, POWERBOX65.4M-V7: Powerbox 520 Watt Micro 4 Channel Amplifier, not sure where am I supposed to connect the rem in& out wires to? Can I splice it into any of the wires available? Any idea? The pinout is in the attachment. Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
mk17
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Not sure what you are trying to do but all you need to get this working with a base Head Unit is a Connects2 CT10BM05 SOT T-Harness Adaptor ISO Wiring Lead. Cost around £15.00 I had this confirmed by Vibe Technical department.

There is a video on utube simples ..........

I'm considering using this amp as a simple PnP solution after upgrading my base front door speakers to HK mids & HK Tweeters. My original thread is here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1701485

This upgrade has noticeably improved the listening experience but now I want to boost the bass by adding a set of either Eton B195 or Vibe OPTISOUND Mid Woofers. Just wondering about the 4 pin connector on the base subs into a 2 pin on the Vibe. The Etons accept the original 4 pin but cost twice as much for the privilege!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

The 4-pin connector at the OEM woofers is the parallel connection of the front and woofers. If you unplug the OEM woofers then there will not be any power/sound to the front speakers.

This Vibe amp seems to be wired (ISO Quadralock harness) to power front and rear speakers, leaving the OEM woofers connected to the front speakers.

A better connection would be to use the Vibe amp to power front and woofers, leaving the rear speakers powered by the OEM HU.

But the Vibe amp ISO harness is not made to support this configuration for two reasons- the OEM HU front outputs are full range, but not the rear so the rear channels of the Vibe amp cannot be used to power woofers unless the 4 inputs of the Vibe amp are connected to the front outputs of the OEM HU, and woofers must be connected to the new rear outputs of the Vibe amp by running new cables to each woofer.

The 4-pin parallel connection is gone with the removal of OEM woofers so you need to create jumpers at the female 4-pin woofer connector in the car (pin 1-2, pin 3-4) for the Vibe amp to power the front speakers. Otherwise they will not sound. Jumpers are shown in the photo of the MB Quart speaker kit suggested in your other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk17 View Post
This upgrade has noticeably improved the listening experience but now I want to boost the bass by adding a set of either Eton B195 or Vibe OPTISOUND Mid Woofers. Just wondering about the 4 pin connector on the base subs into a 2 pin on the Vibe. The Etons accept the original 4 pin but cost twice as much for the privilege!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
dorrin2008
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't have room for a harness, as I already have one for the nbt, the gps antenna and so on. I am planning on splicing into the wires going in the pins 1-8 in the attached picture, and also the power and ground. As previously said, not sure where to connect the rem, the wires that are sending the signal to the amplifier to turn on/off, don't want it draining the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrin2008 View Post
I don't have room for a harness, as I already have one for the nbt, the gps antenna and so on. I am planning on splicing into the wires going in the pins 1-8 in the attached picture, and also the power and ground. As previously said, not sure where to connect the rem, the wires that are sending the signal to the amplifier to turn on/off, don't want it draining the battery.
Pin 13 is remote out.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
dorrin2008
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Pin 13 is remote out.
Any idea about rem? That would be the only one left out so far...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any idea about rem? That would be the only one left out so far...
REM = Remote

No need for remote out unless you are triggering another amp on.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #8
dorrin2008
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
REM = Remote

No need for remote out unless you are triggering another amp on.
I was asking because from what I read so far rem would give in an impulse to start( the same as a tv, even if it's powered on, you need to turn it on still) and rem out to send the signal to shut off. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #9
mk17
Private
Rep

Quote:
the Vibe amp cannot be used to power woofers unless the 4 inputs of the Vibe amp are connected to the front outputs of the OEM HU, and woofers must be connected to the new rear outputs of the Vibe amp by running new cables to each woofer.
This has me confused. I understand that the unpluged & now redundant 4 pin plugs from the woofers must be jumped in order to keep the front speaker signal but can you clarify the following:-

1. the 4 inputs of the Vibe amp. I can only find 2 input/outputs all RCA.

2. are connected to the front outputs of the OEM HU.... How?

3. woofers must be connected to the new rear outputs of the Vibe amp. What new rear outputs?

Is there a way to simply convert the female 4-pin woofer connector to accept a 2 pin connection & retain the front speaker signal?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #10
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was asking because from what I read so far rem would give in an impulse to start( the same as a tv, even if it's powered on, you need to turn it on still) and rem out to send the signal to shut off. What do you think?
That’s pin 13 at the Quadralock - remote out- which connects to the Vibe amp - REM (remote in).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #11
dorrin2008
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That’s pin 13 at the Quadralock - remote out- which connects to the Vibe amp - REM (remote in).
So you reckon I should connect the rem out on the wire going to the head unit and the rem on the one going back? Or the other way around?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #12
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The OEM HU outputs are full range front and high pass rear. The Vibe amp harness will use those outputs as its inputs. The Vibe amp outputs will be full range front, high pass rear.

You cannot power the woofers with a high passed signal unless you want no bass.

Therefore you need to wire all Vibe inputs to the OEM HU front outputs (split 2ch into 4ch). Then Vibe amp outputs will be all full range, front and rear. Now the woofers can have bass. The rear speakers will be powered by the OEM HU rear outputs.

It is not clear if this Vibe amp has crossovers. If not then Eton has a dedicated crossover for this type of amped front/woofer 4ch setup.

If you do not want this front/woofer setup then get the Eton woofer (4-pin). Otherwise you will need to wire the Vibe woofers for a 4-wire setup at the OEM female woofer connector -jump pin 1 to 2, pin 3 to 4. You will know what to do once you remove the OEM woofer.

Quote:
This has me confused. I understand that the unpluged & now redundant 4 pin plugs from the woofers must be jumped in order to keep the front speaker signal but can you clarify the following:-

1. the 4 inputs of the Vibe amp. I can only find 2 input/outputs all RCA.

2. are connected to the front outputs of the OEM HU.... How?

3. woofers must be connected to the new rear outputs of the Vibe amp. What new rear outputs?

Is there a way to simply convert the female 4-pin woofer connector to accept a 2 pin connection & retain the front speaker signal?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #13
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you reckon I should connect the rem out on the wire going to the head unit and the rem on the one going back? Or the other way around?
Radio pin 13 wired to Vibe amp REM terminal. That’s it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #14
dorrin2008
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Radio pin 13 wired to Vibe amp REM terminal. That’s it.
And by doing this it will be triggered to turn on by radio on pin, just wondering will it to off automatically when turning off the car/hear unit? Sorry to be a pain, just trying to fully understand this setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #15
F30_ILLEST
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30

This should help 5:45 for remote wire
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 05:16 AM   #16
dorrin2008
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_ILLEST View Post

This should help 5:45 for remote wire
Not really something I want to do, as I'm installing the amp by itself behind the head unit , not planning to go all the way back to the back of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #17
mk17
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you do not want this front/woofer setup then get the Eton woofer (4-pin). Otherwise you will need to wire the Vibe woofers for a 4-wire setup at the OEM female woofer connector -jump pin 1 to 2, pin 3 to 4. You will know what to do once you remove the OEM woofer.
I'm not so sure about that!

So......Can I connect a 2 pin Vibe woofer or any other 2 pin speaker via the BMW OEM sub connector 4 pin using pins 1 & 3? I'm assuming 1 is positive & 3 is neg [or is it 2 & 4?] whilst at the same time jumping the pins 1-2 & 3-4 to maintain the front door speaker signal? In other words jump the connectors but spur + & - wires off from the pins to connect the woofers.

If so I may go with a set of HK subs and do a straight swap as mine are almost certainly glued in. What a botch job the base stereo is! I think that BMW intentionally made this as difficult as possible to upgrade by gluing in the woofer & making the speaker terminals and connectors incompatible.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #18
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that!

So......Can I connect a 2 pin Vibe woofer or any other 2 pin speaker via the BMW OEM sub connector 4 pin using pins 1 & 3? I'm assuming 1 is positive & 3 is neg [or is it 2 & 4?] whilst at the same time jumping the pins 1-2 & 3-4 to maintain the front door speaker signal? In other words jump the connectors but spur + & - wires off from the pins to connect the woofers.
Pins 1 and 2 are negative, pins 3 and 4 are positive.
Pins 2 and 3 are coming from the OEM HU front output, pins 1 and 4 go to the front speakers.

So unplugging OEM 4-pin woofers and connecting a 2-pin woofer (pins 2/3) means disconnecting the front speakers (pins 1/4) from the system.

Quote:
If so I may go with a set of HK subs and do a straight swap as mine are almost certainly glued in. What a botch job the base stereo is! I think that BMW intentionally made this as difficult as possible to upgrade by gluing in the woofer & making the speaker terminals and connectors incompatible.
HK OEM woofers are 2-pin.

Again, once you take a look at the 4-pin connector you will know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #19
mk17
Private
Rep

Quote:
Pins 1 and 2 are negative, pins 3 and 4 are positive.
Pins 2 and 3 are coming from the OEM HU front output, pins 1 and 4 go to the front speakers.

So unplugging OEM 4-pin woofers and connecting a 2-pin woofer (pins 2/3) means disconnecting the front speakers (pins 1/4) from the system.

HK OEM woofers are 2-pin.

Again, once you take a look at the 4-pin connector you will know what to do.
Sorry Encanto, I appreciate you are trying to help but I'm still not properly understanding . Too cryptic for me. I've seen and studied the connector in numerous pics and I'm still none the wiser as to "knowing what to do"!. Can you please spell out in plain English what I need to do to make this work or if indeed its even possible. Based on the pin info you provided if I rig a woofer 2 pin connection using pins 2/3 and jump 1/4 to complete the circuit for the front speakers will that work or not?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #20
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry Encanto, I appreciate you are trying to help but I'm still not properly understanding . Too cryptic for me. I've seen and studied the connector in numerous pics and I'm still none the wiser as to "knowing what to do"!. Can you please spell out in plain English what I need to do to make this work or if indeed its even possible. Based on the pin info you provided if I rig a woofer 2 pin connection using pins 2/3 and jump 1/4 to complete the circuit for the front speakers will that work or not?
Connect pin 1 to 2, and 3 to 4, then connect 2 and 3 to your woofer. 4 wires, 3 connections.

Pin numbers are in the connector if you look closely.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #21
dorrin2008
United Kingdom
Rep

Encanto, can you please tell me if I do as you said and connect the amplifier REM to pin 13 and leave the REM Out unconnected, do you think the amp will turn off with the radio or not? Any thoughts? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #22
mk17
Private
Rep

And the mist is lifted! So a 2 pin connection is possible. Just jump pins 1/2 & 3/4 & then connect 2/3 to the woofer. Thank you.

Is there any recommended or preferred method for doing this. I've seen numerous examples all look very professional.
Appreciate 0