F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT retrofit questions
proTUNING Freaks

07-11-2023, 11:46 PM   #1
Smooth_Operator
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 335i 6MT

NBT retrofit questions

Hi guys, sorry if this post is a bit long, but I've still got a few questions after combing through numerous other threads and I figured it'd be easier to condense them into one single thread.

I just retrofitted an NBT head unit into my car, replacing my no-nav CIC. mdecoder.com says my car was built March 28, 2013. The sticker on the door jamb says April 2013. The NBT unit came from a 2015 car, and I think the head unit itself was made during the 18th week of 2015. The hardware that I've done so far has gone smoothly, but I'm still waiting on the bluetooth antenna and the two USB ports to install. I did not use any emulator. Everything that was plugged into the old CIC unit plugged into the new NBT unit, except the armrest USB.

I'm think I've already done all the necessary VO coding, and that I've also written the proper VIN into the NBT unit. The thing that gives me slight pause here is that the place I bought the FSC pack from had me talking to a guy on WhatsApp, and he said that VO coding wasn't possible without the head unit having the proper VIN written into it. But doing that whole thing where I inserted '609' is what got the audio to work, and that was before I reset the VIN in the head unit. Was that not VO coding? I think it was.

I've seen people talking about virginizing the head unit, so to speak, with tool32. I have not done this. This is something I first stumbled on earlier this afternoon, and I didn't start that process because I had plans for the evening.

So here is where I am now. Audio is playing. AM/FM radio work completely. Satellite radio appears as an option, and leads to a blank screen. I can connect to my phone via bluetooth, my phone and car both recognize each other, and the car gave the option of both streaming phone calls and music, implying that enhanced bluetooth is active. My phone asked if it was okay to share contacts with the car. I said yes. However, contacts do not sync. Owners manual is not present (or takes a very long time to load). Navigation is greyed out from main menu. I have a generic GPS antenna connected to the NBT unit. Although I bought an FSC pack, I have yet to inject it as I don't have either USB port functional at the moment.

I tried to use bimmercode to delete the startup warning and do a couple other things, but it tells me that it cannot code anything, presumably due to activation codes being rejected. It is like this even though I coded the proper VIN into the unit.

I've been looking through forums trying to get everything to work properly, and I think I need to do some FDL coding. The problem is that I look up guides online and the FDL editor displays a file structure with a bunch of German text, but when I do it myself there's just a bunch of periods. Each file is named "." and I can't see how to do anything. Do I need an older version of e-sys? If so, where can I go about getting one?

My main questions; will the installation of the two USB ports and the bluetooth antenna, as well as the injection of the FSC codes, fix...
- The inactive navigation?
- Contacts not syncing?
- Missing owner's manual?
- Unable to code with bimmercode?

If not, would using tool32 to virginize the head unit solve anything?

One last low priority question... before installation, I unscrewed the top of the unit and had a look inside. There is a CD inside. After installation in the car and being powered up for the first time, the CD player makes a clicking sound for a few seconds. It does this every time it boots up. The eject button does not work, and the NBT unit refuses to read the disc. Is this some wort of hardware issue? I haven't looked too much into it, since it's probably one of the last things on my priority list for this project, but I do want to get this fixed at some point.

Again, sorry for a long post dense with questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 12:10 AM   #2
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Do no think a CD inside the HU is a good thing. I am quite sure it will not let you flash it, and may interfere with coding as well.

I believe that cars manufactured before 03/15 need to have in FA(VO) the Zeitkriterium changed to 03/15 (or later) in Esys for the Head Unit ECU and the Kombi ECU (dependency ECUs) when coding it with the Donor NBT HU VIN. Your car is right at the threshold of that date, so not sure if applicable. Only for the NBT HU ECU do you need the Donor NBT HU VIN also. For the Kombi ECU and if coding also ICM, EGS, FEM_BODY ECUs...only need the ZeitKriterium changed,.

Example:

Step 1. Modifying the “609_FA” FA (VO) by editing/adding “Zeitkriterium = 0315” and “Donor VIN WBA3B3G5XXXXX”

(Connect )=> Read "609_FA" file name (VO) => Edit FA (VO) => Right Click and Calculate FP => EXPAND FA (VO) tree to SALAPA-Element => Modify existing Zeitkriterium value under "Type" to read "0315" => Under “FZAuftrag-Header” change the VIN to DONOR VIN# WBA3B3G5XXXXXXX => Click "Apply changes" icon => Right-click FA (VO) and calculate FP again => SAVE new FA (VO) as new file name "Zeit609_FA"

Step 2. Coding the NBT_HU ECU DIRECTLY WITH “Zeit609_FA” VO

(Connect) => Read "Zeit609_FA" FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Right-click FA (VO) and calculate FP again => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on NBT_HU ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE. DONE.

If you do not have your DONOR NBT HU VIN, use any NBT HU VIN that has the features of your DONOR NBT HU VIN and is on the same HWEL (Hardware version).
      07-15-2023, 04:45 PM   #3
Smooth_Operator
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the reply... when I coded the kombi with just the dates it finished coding with errors. When I coded the NBT with the donor vin it just died completely. It came back to life when I put the car vin back in... probably because I wrote the car vin to the NBT earlier with FSC extended. I guess I'll just wait for parts so I can inject the FSC codes and see what that fixes.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 09:40 PM   #4
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

What parts are you waiting for?

Without an emulator (unless you use proper FSC codes) you will not be able to get your HU working. The procedure I outlined above assumes you are using an emulator.

As far as using generated FSC codes matched to your original VIN, I am not thoroughly familiar with the process, but I am interested if it's only $35 for all the codes....so hope you will be able to make yours work and post in detail how you did it.

One concern I have about these "generated" FSC codes is that I was reading that you may end up wiping them out from the HU, and do not know if they can be used over and over again.
      07-16-2023, 03:22 AM   #5
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

All I did when I did this to my previous F30 was to put the NBT unit in, code it as normal with E-Sys (adding 609, 6NS and probably some others to VO), never bothered to change VIN, and then I loaded the FSC codes on via the USB stick.

After that it rebooted and came up with working navigation and that was it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 10:42 PM   #6
Smooth_Operator
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I think I've made progress... maybe...

I'm waiting on the armrest USB (existing armrest USB cable does not connect to NBT), and a couple antennas. One bluetooth, one wi-fi. I'm also waiting for the microphone cable. After taking everything apart and looking at the back of the NBT unit again, I don't know why I ordered another bluetooth antenna. The one that came with the car plugged right in to the new port. But I can't actually do anything with the phone, so I guess I'll try the new antenna and see if that fixes anything.

Since last posting here I've received and installed the glove box USB. The car was not equipped with one from the factory. After installing, I plugged my phone in. The phone (or at least Spotify) recognized that it was connected to a car. However, audio did not play, and contacts did not sync. On the audio input screen, it showed up as 'aux' instead of either USB option, both of which were still greyed out.

I tried injecting the FSC codes with 2 separate flash drives by following the instructions provided with them; nothing, although neither flash drive was recommended by the instructions (1GB and 64GB as opposed to 2, 4 or 8... I know the 64GB drive was USB 3.0, don't know about 1GB... both were FAT 32 formatted, though the 1GB had to be reformatted to be that way). I will probably try to find a USB 2.0 drive in one of the recommended sizes.

I did finally clear all the error codes from the NBT, and most of them didn't come back. The only errors that came back were microphone line break (expected, since I don't have the microphone cable yet) and GPS antenna line break (worrying, since I already installed a new one. Maybe I shouldn't have ordered a cheap one off Amazon... or maybe it's a byproduct of the FSC codes not being correct? Hopefully?).

So yeah, I guess the next step is figuring out how to get the FSC codes injected and then going from there. Part of me thinks that the car doesn't know how to handle it's new USB port, since it only shows up as an aux port and not a USB port in iDrive and it won't play any music. Probably some VO or FDL coding that needs to be done.

Last edited by Smooth_Operator; 07-17-2023 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 06:44 AM   #7
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Note, that going from CIC to NBT the OEM USB cable plug needs to be turned 180 degrees or you get nothing on it. I had to shear off the peg that prevents it from fitting in the NBT HU. It still sits well and secure.

There are some codings for the USB to work properly. There are codes for that. Recommend getting Bimmercde.

Same thing for the GPS. You may need to change a line or two to make sure the NBT HU is using the rear GPS plug and not the shark-fin GPS that many OEM NBT cars came with. There is a code for that. Again, recommend Bimmercode.
      07-18-2023, 06:40 PM   #8
Smooth_Operator
Enlisted Member
Rep

Coding with Bimmercode is not possible at the moment. It'll recognize the NBT, and then fail due to activation codes. Coding with Bimmerutility DOES work, however I have no clue what to actually code.

Tried FSC codes again with a 16GB usb 2.0 drive... still nothing.

I managed to delete the old FSC codes using esys... the new ones are giving me problems. The place I bought them from gave me a folder, which had a .bin file as well as a standalone fsc file. Since I'm iffy on the status of my USB ports I tried again with esys... it only fills in one code, for the navigation, and it fails. I can see where the code shows up as 'loaded' prior to rebooting the NBT, then after rebooting it gets rejected. Not really sure if it's a problem with the codes or something else altogether.

I'll try flipping the USB plug 180º next... like I said it charges my phone as is, and the phone seems to recognize that it's plugged in to a car, since Spotify goes into car mode, but the car doesn't actually do anything with it. No music, no contacts, nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 07:30 PM   #9
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Don't flip the USB plug then if it does charge the phone. Then it must be FDL coding to enable USB and media features. There are a few guides on the USB, and media, etc FDL-coding on the forums to make sure your USBs are enabled. I only had one of mine enabled from the factory and had to code the second one.

Can't help you with the FSC codes, but if works I may consider that route as well to make it more OEM. I am using an emulator, so my FSC codes installed somehow during the retrofit., except the maps I got from Shawn.
      07-22-2023, 05:17 PM   #10
Smooth_Operator
Enlisted Member
Rep

So here's where I am currently. Glove box USB and armrest USB installed. Both provide power. Glovebox USB did not come with car originally, is plugged into curry colored port on back of NBT. I had to shave down some of the connectors to do this. For the armrest USB I modified the cable that came with the car so it could be mounted with the NBT end rotated 180 degrees. However, neither USB port seems to do any sort of data transfer. As it turns out, my phone thought it was connected to a car because it was connected to Bluetooth (also broken). As far as my phone is concerned both USB ports are power and nothing more.

Originally, I thought the aux port didn't work. This was never the case, it worked all along.

So the short form status update is this:
Working
AM/FM Radio
Aux port

Not working
Navigation
- Greyed out from main menu
- I was back there today and unplugged and re-plugged my cheap Amazon antenna... the GPS antenna error is now gone.
Satellite radio
- Option appears in audio menu, takes me to blank screen, not even the preview channel is available (no subscription active though)
Bluetooth
- Bluetooth connects to phone, cannot read contacts or play music
USB
- Power is there, but no music/data for both armrest and glove box USBs. I also used Bimmerutility to FDL code TOL_CFG_EXP_USB_OVERWRITE (defines whether the drives (TeleService Logbook) shall be overwritten or not), USB_BULK_TRANSFER, NAVI_MYPOI_IMPORT and API_USB_READ_WRITE all from nicht_activ to activ... no change, still doesn't work.
CD player
- makes a clicking noise on startup, refuses to read discs... I think it's a hardware issue, maybe from the donor car's crash
Owner's manual
- Not greyed out, but blank. Donor car was same model as mine but 2 years newer.
Voice control
- I think it's because I haven't installed the new microphone. Error code says "microphone 2 open circuit." Still a step up from pre-retrofit though because back then the voice control button on the steering wheel was totally 100% dead, now it gives me the message "voice control available shortly."

I think the main issue is very likely the FSC codes. I did buy a pack, and the install instructions say that I should put them on a flash drive and install via one of the USB ports. I've tried both ports multiple times, nothing. Prior to today, the glove box cable was connected to the beige port on the back of the head unit, now it's connected to the curry port and the armrest cable is connected to the beige port. I think whatever is causing my USB ports to be useless for music and data transfer from my phone is also what is causing them to be useless for injecting the FSC pack. In the multimedia menu, the USB and baseplate (which I assume is now connected to glove box USB) symbols are both greyed out and show 'not connected.' Bluetooth is greyed out and stuck in a state of infinite loading.

Unsure how to proceed at this point. I would like to focus on the FSC codes, but I think that if I can get the USB ports fully working then I'd have a way to put the FSC codes in. Or maybe the USB ports aren't fully functional because of the FSC codes? I'm unsure. All I know is the place I bought from was supposed to give me a pack, instead they gave me a .bin file with only 1 fsc code outside the .bin file, which was uploaded via esys and rejected. Currently all FSC codes show up as either cancelled or unavailable.

Here's what is and isn't enabled based on FA coding. I think I did what I needed to do, but maybe I'm missing something obvious so I may as well post it here. The big things seem to be adding 609 and 6NS. After first installing all the hardware the head unit booted up but was silent, coding this is what allowed sound to come out. I have coded both HU_NBT and BKOMBI based on this. I think the build date is set to March 2013 for everything... at one point I changed it to November 2013 and that didn't fix anything so I changed it back.
1CA,1CB,216,240,249,258,2DY,2VB,302,319,403,423,43 0,431,459,465,493,494,4AB,4DM,4NE,520,521,522,524, 534,544,563,575,5DS,609,616,645,650,655,688,697,6N S,823,845,853,876,8KC,8S4,8TN,925,992,993,9AA

Last edited by Smooth_Operator; 07-22-2023 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 05:53 PM   #11
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think there is a combination of things. Some could be a hardware issue. The CD clicking noise is definitely not a good sign for the rest of the hardware inside the NBT HU as well. You said this came out from an accident car? Did they test it before selling it?

Was the NBT HU software updated or messed with? Is it corrupt? Hard to tell, but eliminating all other things by trying to fix/code the other issues that normally you can do with a used NBT may lead to the answer. The option to flash the NBT HU ECU is always there, but I would leave that last, assuming that you cannot return the NBT HU anymore.

Let's go with the easy one that should get you started. You need to start coding, and looking at the existing codes. I recommend that you use ISTA+ (free) to see what BMW specific error codes you have. Not the generic error codes from a generic OBD reader.

Then you need a way to code. Bimmercode is my suggestion because it's easy and should work if your ECUs are intact. There is no way around coding. For example, you don't need two mics, unless you want two. You can code the NBT HU to use only one mic. Same with the USB ports. But, you must enable them for data transfer, iPhone or Android interface, enable video, enable maximum charge, etc As far as I know, only the USB in the arm-rest (if connected to he first USB port in the back of the NBT HU) cane be used for BMW factory software update via external USB drive.

Check out all the related coding here for your situation (and these are just the non-expert codes): https://bimmercode.app/cars/f30/

There are also a lot of Bluetooth settings in the coding. Especially for the enhanced Bluetooth option. Same with the voice control.

Your GPS has to be selected in code (unless you get lucky and it's by default on NBT HU somehow): NBT HU rear GPS port or sharkfin antenna/trunk GPS connection. The FSC code that gives you map should come the very last, after enabling navigation.

The NBT HU came out with the 2013 model year. So if your car was made before that, even by a month, the NBT HU has to be coded with a different manufacture date so you car would accept it and work with it. ESys is used for that, and pszdata light (free). In Esys you can check which FSC codes are there, or rejected. Right now, its mute, but you will need it later.

For example:

AppID 25 is your Navigation, Accepted

AppID 27 is your Map for Navigation, Accepted

AppID 23 is your Voice Recognition, Rejected

Last edited by fe7565; 07-22-2023 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2023, 05:59 PM   #12
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here are some codes/notes that I gathered from the forums:

Someone on the board has coded enhanced BT. I believe his car was a 2014 though. I can't find the link but did copy the following as I am intending to do the same:

HU_NBT > AUDIO_TUNER_TRAFFIC 3002 > AUDIO_OFFSET = aktiv
HU_NBT > AUDIO_TUNER_TRAFFIC 3002 > MICROPHONE_NUMBER = wert_2
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 > AUX1_IN_HU = wert_255 [Default]
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 > USB_AVAILABLE = aktiv
HU_NBT > HMI 3000 > CDMM_USB_AUDIO = all
HU_NBT > HMI 3000 > SVS = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > HMI 3000 > SYSTEM_TTS = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > SYSTEM_EINSTELLUNGEN 3004 > SOFTWARE_UPDATE_ASSISTANT = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > ADRESSBOOK = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > API_CAR_TYPE_IPOD_LOGO = bmw
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > API_MP4_ON_OFF = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > API_USB_VIDEO = none [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > AUDIO_NOTES_EIN_AUS = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > AUDIO_PLAYER_ON_OFF = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > BLUETOOTH_2ND_HFP = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > BT_MODUL_ON_OFF = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > CALENDAR_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > CE_DEVICE_SPEECH_RECOGNITION = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > CONTACT_BOOK_PICTURES = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > CONTACTS_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > DATACOMM_CSIM = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > DUN_PROFILE = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > EMAIL_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > ENT_BTAS_BROWSING = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > ENT_BTAS_IAP = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > ENT_BTAS_METADATA = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > EXTERNAL_CALL_LISTS = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > MACRO_PIM = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PAN_PROFILE = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PHONE_CONFERENCE_CALL = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PHONE_OBJPUSH_MENUE = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PHONE_RESPONSE_HOLD = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PHONE_TYPE = internal_phone
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PIM_BILDER_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_AUDIO_NOTE = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_EMAIL = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_SMS = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_VOICE_EMAIL = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > PIM_SPEECH_TO_TEXT = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > REMINDER_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > SINGLE_OR_MULTILINK = multilink
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > SMS_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > SWUP_SOURCE_USBMSCDD = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > TASK_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > TEXT_NOTES_EIN_AUS = aktiv
HU_NBT > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > TWO_PHONES_PARALLEL = aktiv
HU_NBT > MICROPHONE_NUMBER = wert_1
• HMI_36_36_8=nicht_aktiv
• WLAN_WIFI_DIRECT=nicht_aktiv

all F-series cars made after 7/2014 can be coded with 6NS and yes again, only thing missing is the second microphone. Also all NBT professional navigation units with handsfree can be coded with 6NS. After VO-coding, microphone number can be FDL-coded back to one.
Since 6NH is standard Equipment for ALL F15 builds, the 6NH Option Code does not appear in the VO. E-Sys and ISTA will know to encode it for 6NH based on the Chassis Code and Build Date. In contrast, cars where Basic Bluetooth isn't even standard equipment and the car comes equipped with 6NH, the Option Code will appear in the VO.
, 6NS is for EBT (Enhanced Bluetooth), which has nothing to do with Voice commands. Voice command is factory option 620, and for NBT it requires a 9E (AppID 158) FSC Code be Imported and Activated in the Head Unit, and VO Coding for Option 610. If you also want Text-To-Speech, you would additionally need a 9F (AppID 159) FSC Code.

Bluetooth_2nd_HFP
Two_Phones_parallel
SINGLE_OR_MULTILINK
API_USB_VIDEO
ENT_VIDEO
CALENDAR_EIN_AUS
CONTACT_BOOK_PICTURES
DATACOMM_CSIM
EMAIL_EIN_AUS
MACRO_PIM
PIM_BILDER_EIN_AUS
REMINDER_EIN_AUS
SMS_EIN_AUS
TASK_EIN_AUS
TEXT_NOTES_EIN_AUS
AUDIO_NOTES_EIN_AUS
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_AUDIO_NOTE
PIM_NEW_ELEMENT_VOICE_EMAIL
Inband_ringing
** FDL CODING **

HU_NBT
Activate these parameters
EMAIL_EIN_AUS
SMS_EIN_AUS
CONTACTS_EIN_AUS
CALENDAR_EIN_AUS
TEXT_NOTES_EIN_AUS
AUDIO_NOTES_EIN_AUS
REMINDER_EIN_AUS
TASK_EIN_AUS
PIM_BILDER_EIN_AUS
REMINDER_TRIGGERS_EIN_AUS
Set PIM_Driving_Text Whole_text up_to_three_lines
MACRO_PIM > this actually shows the word OFFICE in the idrive menu instead of CONTACTS

Just to confirm what others have said, on android, both text and email will sync with existing messages on the phone. On iPhone, only text will sync with new messages received since the phone was connected and no email option at all.

Some of these are outdated, cannot reset NBT HU anymore with buttons)

So a few things to watch out for people trying to do this:
1. After you code, go into "configure bluetooth" to enable Office and Telephone
2. This is what caused me some issues because I was looking for these options in the phone settings, which is a different but similar looking screen to "configure bluetooth".
2. You can restart your NBT by holding down the volume knob until the display goes black (10 seconds or so).
3. On iPhone, only new messages will appear and (at least on iOS 9) email doesn't work at all.
Settings->Connections. Within the settings page there's an options page (move controller right) which looks like the below. Telephone 2 wasn't checked by default.

SYSTEM_GPS_RECEIVER --> Nicht_aktiv
GPS_FROM_NAVI --> aktiv
ADAS_GPS --> Nicht_aktiv
TELMATIK_ECU --> Nicht_aktiv

Last edited by fe7565; 07-22-2023 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2023, 06:10 PM   #13
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

More detailed and comprehensive coding examples:

https://www.car-auto-repair.com/bmw-...orks-all-here/
      12-29-2023, 10:06 PM   #14
Smooth_Operator
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry for the long gap between posts, but I was busy and just now found time to work on this.

To answer some above questions... yes, it came out of an accident car. I found pictures of it sitting in the insurance lot. There was pretty severe damage on the passenger front side of the car, the rest looked unscathed. I've attached a video of the system booting to give everyone a better idea of what the clicking sounds like. I have tried all the options listed in this thread, nothing has worked.

Since it's been a few months, I just want to take a moment to recap and take stock of where I'm at now;

- Replaced original head unit from 2013 F30 335i with unit from a wrecked 2015 335i (small screen, no combox, no nav --> big screen, nav).
- When I first installed the screen and head unit, the audio didn't work at all. I recoded HU_NBT to tell it my car had Harmon Kardon, and it started working.
- I also received the updated touch iDrive controller, haven't installed it because A) I think I need an extra ECU and B) the old controller that was already in my car is in much better shape.
- I retrofitted a USB port in the glove box. It is a genuine BMW part pulled from a parts car. Originally, my car did not have a USB port in the glove box, instead having a plastic cover.
- Both USB ports deliver power, and nothing else. I have purchased FSC codes for this car and attempted to upload them, using a plethora of flash drives across both USB ports. Nothing has worked.
- Using E-sys to upload the FSC codes was also unsuccessful. The North America map codes show as rejected, and everything else shows as empty/cleared, apart from M Laptimer and one other thing that I didn't buy the codes for.
- Currently, FM, AM and the aux port are all fully functional, including album art for FM.
- My phone (iPhone) connects to the car via bluetooth. 6NS has been enabled. I can make phone calls, but nothing else. My contacts do not show in iDrive, and I cannot stream music.
- I used E-sys to change the VIN for HU_NBT. When I look at this ECU with BimmerUtility, the VIN for my car displays. When I connect my phone via bluetooth, the number after 'BMW' that displays in my phone corresponds with my car's VIN. Before I changed the VIN in HU_NBT, the number after 'BMW' was a snippet from the donor car's VIN.
- In the menus, 'Navigation' is greyed out.
- In the multimedia menu, the USB and dock icons both show 'not connected,' regardless of whether or not anything is plugged in to the glove box and/or armrest USB ports.
- In the multimedia menu, the word "loading..." displays next to the bluetooth symbol indefinitely.
- The clicking sound on boot is worrisome. When I got the unit, there was a CD inside. It would not eject, nor would it play. I tested the homemade CD on multiple players outside my car, and it played without issue. I had to physically disassemble the head unit and remove the CD that way. Currently, there is no CD in the player. It will not load CDs.
- When I got the car, prior to attempting any retrofits, the voice command button on the steering wheel did absolutely nothing whatsoever. Now, after my incomplete retrofit, it displays 'voice control available soon' in spite of not actually doing anything.

I'm not sure where to go next, as I have a few questions.
1. Is the fact that the USB ports refuse to recognize any devices why I cannot upload FSC codes, ergo creating issues with navigation and satellite radio? Why can't I load the codes with E-Sys? I remember being in a menu somewhere with esys, seemingly uploading the codes (or maybe just one code) and having them be rejected/not accepted. I've also heard some people say that FSC codes must be loaded with USB. Which is true? How do I move forward here? I did not buy the codes from BMW. I'm pretty sure I read cases of people buying codes on here from places that weren't BMW, and things worked out fine for them. Did I get scammed? They gave me a .bin file, which obviously isn't a group of FSC codes, which E-sys would want, if I'm not mistaken. I think there was one file that looked like an FSC code, which is what I uploaded with E-Sys and prompted the rejected message for the map code. Without whatever the.bin file does, I'm assuming things won't work properly.
2. Because of the way the CD player behaved, part of me thinks that the hardware issue is confined to the CD player, in which case it's not a huge deal. However, it could of course run deeper than this. Would this affect my USB ports?

Narrowing down my questions, I think I'm focusing on one thing right now...

Why aren't my USB ports accepting data and is this my biggest issue at the moment?

Is this the right place to focus right now? If the hardware issue is confined to the CD player I'm willing to ignore it for a bit, I just want to get some more features working and figure out the coding properly before I work on a fix/buy a replacement. Unfortunately, the actual CD player module in the old head unit is different than the one in the newer one, so I can't just swap them out.

Below I've attached some reference material, for both how the system behaves and what I have coded for USB and Bluetooth.

Name:  IMG_6859.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  238.0 KB
Name:  IMG_6860.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  241.6 KB
https://youtu.be/wj9xmiDgRDI

All coding with "USB" accessible in BimmerUtility;
3000 HMI
CDMM_USB_AUDIO --> ALL
CDMM_USB_COMPOSER_MSD --> ACTIV
ENT_GRACENOTE_USB --> ACTIV
NAVI_DEST_EXPORT (ASIA ONLY) --> NICHT_ACTIV
NAVI_DEST_IMPORT (ASIA ONLY) --> NICHT_ACTIV
NAVI_MYPOI_EXPORT --> ACTIV
NAVI_MYPOI_IMPORT --> ACTIV
NAVI_ROUTE_EXPORT --> ACTIV
NAVI_TRIP_EXPORT --> ACTIV
NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT --> ACTIV

3001 EXBOX
USB_AVAILABLE --> ACTIV

3002 AUDIO_TUER_TRAFFIC
USB_BULK_TRANSFER --> ACTIV

3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE
API_IPOD_VIDEO --> BOTH
API_VSD_EIN_AUS --> ACTIV
API_USB_READ_WRITE --> NICHT ACTIV (bimmerutility says that off is read access only... typing this out maybe NICHT_ACTIV is different from off? I'll have to check this)
API_USB_VIDEO --> BOTH
API_VIDEO_DELAY_USB --> 0MS
AUDIO_PLAYER_ON_OFF --> ACTIV
CDMM_USB_COVER_ART --> ACTIV
CDMM_USB_COVER_ART_IPOD --> ACTIV
CDMM_USB_POD_BOOK --> ACTIV
CDMM_USB_TAG_MGR --> NICHT_ACTIV
PIM_NOTES_USB_EXPORT --> ACTIV
SMJP_SOURCE_USBMSCDD --> ACTIV
TOL_CFG_EXP_USB_OVERWRITE --> ACTIV
USB1_IPOD_AUDIO --> DIGITAL
USB2_IPOD_AUDIO --> DIGITAL

3005 APIX_CID
ZIN_SEMI_PERMANENT_DISPLAYS_USB_BLUETOOTH --> ACTIV

All coding with "Bluetooth" accessible in BimmerUtility;

3000 HMI
RSE_BLUETOOTH --> KEIN
SL09 --> ACTIV

3003 TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE
BLUETOOTH_2ND_HFP --> ACTIV
BLUETOOTH_HANDSET --> ACTIV
BLUETOOTH_SAP_SUPPORT --> ACTIV
BLUETOOTH_WRITEBACK --> NICHT_ACTIV
DATACOMM_CSIM --> ACTIV
DEBUG_HCI_TRACE_EIN_AUS --> NICHT_ACTIV
ENT_BTAS_TAP --> ACTIV
PHONE_OBJPUSH_MENUE --> ACTIV

3005 APIX_CID
ZIN_SEMI_PERMANENT_DISPLAYS_USB_BLUETOOTH --> ACTIV
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 03:33 PM   #15
Smooth_Operator
Enlisted Member
Rep

Solved problem, the hard drive was broken. I bought a new NBT, now bluetooth, USB data, navigation, satellite radio, and the owners manual all work.

Last edited by Smooth_Operator; 01-14-2024 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
fe7565552.50
      01-16-2024, 01:32 AM   #16
reindeerfell
Registered
Rep
Drives: toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_Operator View Post
Solved problem, the hard drive was broken. I bought a new NBT, now bluetooth, USB data, navigation, satellite radio, and the owners manual all work.
good news
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2024, 08:07 PM   #17
Smooth_Operator
Enlisted Member
Rep

So after opening up the broken NBT unit, I'm pretty sure water found its way into the hard drive. There was pretty nasty corrosion on/in the hard drive. I'm assuming the crash broke the windshield and it rained as the car sat in a dirt lot waiting for a buyer. I can't say for sure if the g forces from the crash itself broke the hard drive, but the water that got in there certainly didn't help anything. It's odd, because the outside didn't look bad at all. There were a couple small water spots on the label, but the stock unit I took out of my car looked like it had more severe water spots, and it worked perfectly. So yeah I'm not quite sure what the lesson here is... I guess look up the donor VIN and look for pictures to determine if the windshield was broken. If so, steer clear... or at least treat it as a yellow flag. The functional NBT that I put in came from a car that was rear ended, front glass was perfect and convertible top was up in the auction lot. Just things to keep in mind if I ever upgrade to NBT Evo, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 06:02 PM   #18
Betosan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have an e92 335i 2008. I believe someone was suggesting an emulator this is totally necessary to make sure the unit has proper communication, can bus s1 and can buss 2 need to be compatible and the emulator does this. Then the unit needs to be coded to your vin on my car everything works except a couple of items that I am looking for a solution for. The Mic does not work, navigation does not work either this I am not too concerned as I have apple car play.
The Mic issue is my largest concern have not been able to resolve this issue. Any help will be appresiated.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 06:19 PM   #19
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betosan View Post
I have an e92 335i 2008. I believe someone was suggesting an emulator this is totally necessary to make sure the unit has proper communication, can bus s1 and can buss 2 need to be compatible and the emulator does this. Then the unit needs to be coded to your vin on my car everything works except a couple of items that I am looking for a solution for. The Mic does not work, navigation does not work either this I am not too concerned as I have apple car play.
The Mic issue is my largest concern have not been able to resolve this issue. Any help will be appresiated.
I can speak to the F30....going from CIC (Entry) to NBT HU, I used an emulator in order to get around the FSC codes since my car came with a CIC HU. The emulator, as far as I understand, does not bridge between busses. It "presents" a VIN number on the bus in front of the HU so the car believes that it has that VIN number HU installed.

I assume you have a CIC unit. I believe you can pay someone to get proper BMW FSC codes for your HU (map codes you can can for free, but others not), or use an emulator. You will need to do some Esys coding in both cases, unless the person selling those FSC codes also does remote coding.

The various busses KCAN(1) and KCAN2 come into play when you are retrofitting equipment into a CIC car that was not originally equipped with (for example) a KCAN2 iDrive Controller (7-button vs 5-buton). The KCAN2 wires are present in the F30, but need to be tapped into to make the 7-button controller work.

How do you get CarPlay? What do you mean by a "mic issue'? The mic does not work with your OEM HU or (I assume you have an) MMI? In order to get help with your mic, you need to be specific what equipment you have now, what was it before, what was your factory FA? Have you done coding before?

Last edited by fe7565; 02-05-2024 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0