F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M performance LSD--how much difference you can feel in everyday driving?
GetBMWParts

10-17-2021, 02:02 AM   #23
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

As Logicoeur mentioned there was a fire sale where a few of us including myself got them for 5-$600 so I decided hey, lemme just snag one. Can confidently say that what has been said above holds true though for those that have to stomach the 3k price tag, I do understand the hesitation as I jumped on it during a different time with a basic understanding but I can confidently say I would never get another vehicle with an open diff after having so much power on a stage 2+ tune I take corners more aggressively. If you're thinking about the LSD in the first place I'm assuming you did your homework and it's been mentioned by others in this thread so you have an idea of what you would be getting out of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #24
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
As Logicoeur mentioned there was a fire sale where a few of us including myself got them for 5-$600 so I decided hey, lemme just snag one. Can confidently say that what has been said above holds true though for those that have to stomach the 3k price tag, I do understand the hesitation as I jumped on it during a different time with a basic understanding but I can confidently say I would never get another vehicle with an open diff after having so much power on a stage 2+ tune I take corners more aggressively. If you're thinking about the LSD in the first place I'm assuming you did your homework and it's been mentioned by others in this thread so you have an idea of what you would be getting out of it.
What moron was selling $2500 LSDs for $600?
      10-17-2021, 03:11 PM   #25
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
Quote:
Bmw 😂😂😂
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 11:13 PM   #26
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That would be the dealers that we're getting rid of inventory for the f30 auto 335i that they were no longer producing LSDs for so it was their way of letting go of the remaining inventory. What a good day to be alive when I got it shipped for $579, solidified my car being a keeper. :
Appreciate 1
Wires1644.00
      10-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #27
McGyv3r
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1989 325i & 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1989 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
That would be the dealers that we're getting rid of inventory for the f30 auto 335i that they were no longer producing LSDs for so it was their way of letting go of the remaining inventory. What a good day to be alive when I got it shipped for $579, solidified my car being a keeper. :
I'm assuming I'm too late to the party, but how did you find it? Just searching the PN from RealOEM on dealer sites?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #28
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

M performance LSD--how much difference you can feel in everyday driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyv3r View Post

I'm assuming I'm too late to the party, but how did you find it? Just searching the PN from RealOEM on dealer sites?
Unfortunately you are correct, that ship has sailed sometime ago and the folks that are offloading theirs are doing so at a bit of a profit.

Found it on the good ol forums that we're on as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 08:29 PM   #29
nterr0r
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive GC (f36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
It's not meant to be noticed in moderate driving. You don't even notice that the OE diff is open at most times. What seems to be the underlying perception here is that at $3000 you likely expected night and day for such a steep expense.

I can guarantee that if you got it for $5-700 during the fire sale you would be singing an entirely different tune. At that pricing it's around ~$1200 out the door which was my cost. With the addition of xDelete and dedicated summers the car is completely different, even in moderate every day driving. You would and should have noticed that the car flashes DSC a lot more in comfort once the lsd is installed, especially with winters or run flats.
Where was this fire sale and is it going to return? That pricing seems like a steal!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 08:43 PM   #30
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nterr0r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
It's not meant to be noticed in moderate driving. You don't even notice that the OE diff is open at most times. What seems to be the underlying perception here is that at $3000 you likely expected night and day for such a steep expense.

I can guarantee that if you got it for $5-700 during the fire sale you would be singing an entirely different tune. At that pricing it's around ~$1200 out the door which was my cost. With the addition of xDelete and dedicated summers the car is completely different, even in moderate every day driving. You would and should have noticed that the car flashes DSC a lot more in comfort once the lsd is installed, especially with winters or run flats.
Where was this fire sale and is it going to return? That pricing seems like a steal!
That's never going to happen again. The fact it ever happened is very surprising. Parts only get more rare the longer you wait.
      10-23-2021, 11:15 PM   #31
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

I snatched one so fast as soon as I saw they were $600.00 bucks brand new. Never have I reached for my wallet at the speed of light.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2021, 11:58 PM   #32
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
I snatched one so fast as soon as I saw they were $600.00 bucks brand new. Never have I reached for my wallet at the speed of light.
I would've bought several lmao
      11-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #33
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
I bought 6 of them and sold them for $1000 each. Unfortunately I couldnt use one because I had a manual tranny.
      11-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #34
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
I bought 6 of them and sold them for $1000 each. Unfortunately I couldnt use one because I had a manual tranny.
      11-02-2023, 10:49 PM   #35
keithyo88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i msport rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Find another local dealer or an experienced local BMW shop. $1,000 installation is a rip off. The book rate is 3.5 hours which in the Philadelphia area is about $560.

Get a mechanic who has experience replacing rear differentials in F3x cars. Mechanics often claim they can do something to get the work or because they assume it's the same procedure that they have done on a different model.

I know guys who bought expensive MP LSDs only to have dealer or independent mechanics bugger them up during the installation.

The E-Series uses bolt-on flanges for the rear driveshafts which most mechanics are used to. But BMW changed with the F-Series to rear driveshafts that are held on by a small circlip. Special expensive tools are needed to do the F-Series differential replacement.

But when mechanics discover that the driveshafts aren't bolt-on and that they don't have the correct tools, many are likely to do what they often do, grab what they have like pry bars and start wedging things in there. That's how things have gotten broken.

A second special tool is needed that looks like a giant open wrench with a 3 foot handle to achieve the necessary torque. This is to remove the center driveshaft from the rear differential.
See attached photos for tools.

Find an experienced mechanic to do it who won't charge more than $600 for labor. Make sure you actually speak to the mechanic to make sure he is experienced with F-Series differentials. Ask to actually see the special tools to make sure you are hearing the truth.

MP LSD is awesome. Remember it is mechanical so it automatically engages with any rear wheel slippage. It disengages if slippage gets over about 19% and the electronic system then kicks in when slippage at the rear wheel gets over 30%.

So without the MP LSD the car is driving around experiencing rear wheel slippage up to 30% before the stock car takes any action. And that action is to brake one of the rear wheels and to possibly cut throttle to maintain control of the car.

The MP LSD feels incredible because it automatically sends the smallest amount of rear wheel slippage/spin and sends more power to the opposite rear wheel that currently has traction. The MP LSD feels awesome entering and exiting turns. If one side hits gravel or something, the LSD powers right throw it. Pretty amazing! I'm spoiled now and will add an LSD to any future car that I buy.

Hope this helps!
I was not sure it was worth the money but I got the MP LSD and glad I did. Just in normal driving I feel more connected with the road, and each of the rear wheels provides feedback. Thank you for your insights and for influencing me to get that thing. I have the automatic.
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      11-03-2023, 06:52 AM   #36
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyo88 View Post
I was not sure it was worth the money but I got the MP LSD and glad I did. Just in normal driving I feel more connected with the road, and each of the rear wheels provides feedback. Thank you for your insights and for influencing me to get that thing. I have the automatic.
I’m glad that you found it helpful. Yeah, I really noticed the difference after mine was installed. Well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 06:28 PM   #37
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

you won't feel it street driving unless you are doing lots of slides and skids.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 07:59 PM   #38
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

I appreciate everyone's feedback in this thread. I planned on getting the M Performance LSD since I have THP and MPPSK and figured it would help finalize my setup (aside from needing non RFT tires and coilovers) but it sounds like it's not worth it for my application. I will never track my car and I don't drive super aggressively (no street racing or drifting).

Although would it be helpful for heavy rain? I live in Florida and when it rains it pours like woah. I'm guessing it's still not worth it but I welcome some feedback.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 09:18 PM   #39
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

It will help if you are driving aggressively in the rain, but will you be driving aggressively in the rain? Based on your statements, I suspect you won't be...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 07:58 AM   #40
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
I appreciate everyone's feedback in this thread. I planned on getting the M Performance LSD since I have THP and MPPSK and figured it would help finalize my setup (aside from needing non RFT tires and coilovers) but it sounds like it's not worth it for my application. I will never track my car and I don't drive super aggressively (no street racing or drifting).

Although would it be helpful for heavy rain? I live in Florida and when it rains it pours like woah. I'm guessing it's still not worth it but I welcome some feedback.
I could see an M Performance LSD beneficial in heavy rain or afterwards if you hit a situation where one rear wheel hit water and was hydroplaning.

I was accelerating on a curve that was spilling out onto a freeway merge and my outer rear tire hit a patch of gravel, not unlike hydroplaning. The MP LSD saved my ass from the car spinning and sliding off the road. I could actually feel the power shift to the inside tire that had traction to keep the car under control.

I’m never going to drift or slide my car. After my MP LSD was installed the two biggest differences that I felt in daily driving were:
1) Quicker, more responsive standing starts when lights turned green.
2) The car was quicker, more responsive upon entering a curve.

Normally there’s a bit of a delay with both of these because any assistance that the car might get from its electronic system comes on late. It doesn’t react until sensors detect a 30% rear wheel spin. But the MP LSD is a mechanical system that reacts immediately at 1% wheel spin. That’s why it feels so much more responsive.

Note: The MP LSD operates from 1-19% and the car’s stock electronic system kicks on at 30%. So they work seamlessly together without one ever knowing about the other. So there is no coding needed. But other brands of LSDs typically need coding. No big deal, just something to understand.

As with anything, it’s what the driver gets used to. I noticed these differences immediately after my MP LSD was installed by driving on the same roads and curves and really noticing the difference. Now it’s just what I expect. I did drive another BMW recently without an LSD when my car was in the shop and I noticed a big difference without it.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
eff32fl1051.50
      11-06-2023, 08:15 AM   #41
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I could see an M Performance LSD beneficial in heavy rain or afterwards if you hit a situation where one rear wheel hit water and was hydroplaning.

I was accelerating on a curve that was spilling out onto a freeway merge and my outer rear tire hit a patch of gravel, not unlike hydroplaning. The MP LSD saved my ass from the car spinning and sliding off the road. I could actually feel the power shift to the inside tire that had traction to keep the car under control.

I’m never going to drift or slide my car. After my MP LSD was installed the two biggest differences that I felt in daily driving were:
1) Quicker, more responsive standing starts when lights turned green.
2) The car was quicker, more responsive upon entering a curve.

Normally there’s a bit of a delay with both of these because any assistance that the car might get from its electronic system comes on late. It doesn’t react until sensors detect a 30% rear wheel spin. But the MP LSD is a mechanical system that reacts immediately at 1% wheel spin. That’s why it feels so much more responsive.

Note: The MP LSD operates from 1-19% and the car’s stock electronic system kicks on at 30%. So they work seamlessly together without one ever knowing about the other. So there is no coding needed. But other brands of LSDs typically need coding. No big deal, just something to understand.

As with anything, it’s what the driver gets used to. I noticed these differences immediately after my MP LSD was installed by driving on the same roads and curves and really noticing the difference. Now it’s just what I expect. I did drive another BMW recently without an LSD when my car was in the shop and I noticed a big difference without it.

Hope this helps!
Yeah hydroplaning and standing water was what I was getting at in my post I should have been a little more specific. Thank you for the info and real world example that's what I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 08:28 AM   #42
im_an_alien
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I'll add my experience...when I installed my LSD I felt for the first time like I almost had too much power. When getting on the gas the rear wheels (I'm rwd) just dig in and push you forward. Took me by surprise tbh. MP LSD+rwd+6MT= absolute fun. Those sweeping turn freeway ramp posted speeds are mere suggestions now😁
Appreciate 2
eff32fl1051.50
johnung4525.00
      11-06-2023, 09:26 AM   #43
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Yeah hydroplaning and standing water was what I was getting at in my post I should have been a little more specific. Thank you for the info and real world example that's what I was looking for.
My personal top mods, in order, for much improved driving in pouring rain:

1) Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Fantastic in rain. Have to remind myself to slow down. Wider tire sizes have a greater positive effect too. I went from square stock 225/45-18 runflats to square 255/40-18 MPS4S.

2) Full crossdrilled brake rotors. Impossible for water to trap between rotor and pad. StopTech makes excellent full crossdrilled that have specific left & right models with directional internal vanes optimized for cooling. Paragon Brakes makes incredible front 340x30 and 370x30 that are full floating and can be ordered full crossdrilled with anti rust coating. With all of these I recommend Hawk 5.0 brake pads for best street performance.

3) M Performance LSD- for reasons previously stated
Appreciate 0