F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Any on here have the gts taillights installed?
Studio RSR

07-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Any on here have the gts taillights installed?

Any tips to get the trunk light on the fit properly? It's so hard to get it on.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #2
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

I presume it's like all other tail lights. Feed the wires through first then angle it so that the tab slides in first, then lay it flush. Go to 8:10 of this video.

It's hard but once you get technique down it's easy.

Source: uninstalling and reinstalling tail lights like 4-5 times lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #3
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
I presume it's like all other tail lights. Feed the wires through first then angle it so that the tab slides in first, then lay it flush. Go to 8:10 of this video.

It's hard but once you get technique down it's easy.

Source: uninstalling and reinstalling tail lights like 4-5 times lol.
When you say tab first do you mean the thing like a hook?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 03:09 AM   #4
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox335i View Post
Correct, angle in the hook part and get that in first.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Quote:
Correct, angle in the hook part and get that in first.
Yea I saw that's what kies motorsports did but idk why when he did that his light just dropped into place. But he had the v1s and I got the v2s so maybe that's why. Will try again later.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
I considered an upgrade from pre-lci tails to black lines, dark reds, or these GTS stye. I cant help but think the design is super uncomfortable on the GTS (like smooth lines and then there are these squares likes someone is playing Solitare on 1990s computer). I went with blacklines, they looks very good and always go very cheaply in Europe (i dont know why but half price of red dark tails). Everyone who saw them compliments, and now they look sameish design as the current 3 series does with only red L shape graphic. Id go Blacklines but you do you!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #7
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yea I saw that's what kies motorsports did but idk why when he did that his light just dropped into place. But he had the v1s and I got the v2s so maybe that's why. Will try again later.
Make sure the tab slides all the way in, then the side that doesn't have the tab will just fall in. V1 vs v2 will make no difference since the trunk secures the tail light.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:09 PM   #8
dís_f30
G
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30 Luxury Line

Garage List
They go in like on the Kies video, but they can be a p.i t.a. to get lined up properly
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #9
Runner340
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i xDrive

I bought the Vland V2 OLED dragon scale tail lights because the brake light carries from the corner fender housing to the inner trunk housing like the stock LED tail lights. I installed them yesterday on my F30 340i without issue. Tested them several times locking/unlocking with the key fob and all the lights worked perfect including the rear fog lights after the install. Today I went to check the tail lights to watch their start sequence after unlocking the car and only the turn signals blinked sequentially but the tail lights did not do the rolling dance they did the day before. Tried locking and unlocking the car several times and the turn signals sequentially blinked but not the tail lights themselves. I started the car for a moment and turned it off, locked the doors with the key fob. Unlocked the doors again and the tail lights did their start routine as designed. Any idea why they stopped working initially? Have any of you observed this intermittent behavior with this product?

Last edited by Runner340; 08-22-2021 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #10
Samir72
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

I too find it much more difficult to get to seat in properly than in the videos on you tube.

I ended up switching over the clips from my oem lights and then they fitted in fine was much easier solution. For my F30
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #11
Runner340
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir72 View Post
I too find it much more difficult to get to seat in properly than in the videos on you tube.

I ended up switching over the clips from my oem lights and then they fitted in fine was much easier solution. For my F30
I took the supplied clip/bracket with it's 8mm screw off the inner housing and fitted it in after the housing was hooked in on the outer edge. First one was a PITA but doing that made the second one easier to install. I will need to do something a little cleaner with the wire going from the outer housing to the inner trunk housing so it doesn't get pinched by the trunk spring though.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 02:52 AM   #12
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
What I had to do was loosen the clip that's held in with the nut, then put the tailight in on the inside first to ensure that the trunk metal sits between the tail light and the clip so that if tightened, then it will stay there, then I tightened a little, then pulled it towards outside a little bit to lock the plastic clips in that are on the outer side. I had to push the outerside down really hard because of the foam that will keep water and other stuff from getting in was thick, which was fine by me since that meant when installed and compressed, it'll create a tight seal.
      08-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #13
Samir72
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner340 View Post
I bought the Vland V2 OLED dragon scale tail lights because the brake light carries from the corner fender housing to the inner trunk housing like the stock LED tail lights. I installed them yesterday on my F30 340i without issue. Tested them several times locking/unlocking with the key fob and all the lights worked perfect including the rear fog lights after the install. Today I went to check the tail lights to watch their start sequence after unlocking the car and only the turn signals blinked sequentially but the tail lights did not do the rolling dance they did the day before. Tried locking and unlocking the car several times and the turn signals sequentially blinked but not the tail lights themselves. I started the car for a moment and turned it off, locked the doors with the key fob. Unlocked the doors again and the tail lights did their start routine as designed. Any idea why they stopped working initially? Have any of you observed this intermittent behavior with this product?

Had mine on for around 2 months never noticed anything strange like that, both inner and outer lights have always come on as per sequence with mine. Does sound a little concerning that you might have contact your seller to arrange a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 10:38 PM   #14
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner340 View Post
Did you make sure to have headlights turned on? Like in that little toggle near the steering wheel to auto?
      08-24-2021, 07:03 AM   #15
Runner340
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir72 View Post
Had mine on for around 2 months never noticed anything strange like that, both inner and outer lights have always come on as per sequence with mine. Does sound a little concerning that you might have contact your seller to arrange a replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Did you make sure to have headlights turned on? Like in that little toggle near the steering wheel to auto?
I was a little concerned initially as would be expected. Mine seems to be working correctly now. Seems that after repeated tests throughout the install to assure the wires were connected and not pinched the car may have not pushed the signal that triggers the taillight dragon scale sequence after that many test attempts without starting the car. I also posted on the F80/F82 group (F82 OLED Lights Update) my same concerns where there is a 12 page chat and was told it's completely normal and the OEM M4 GTS OLED's do that sometimes too. I think under normal day to day circumstances, this should not happen but will keep an eye on it. So far I'm delighted with the look of the tail lights. The tail lights are bright and the dragon scale part looks pretty amazing. I also like the red ones that I selected which have a deeper darker red lens which looks better than the OEM LED's I had on the car. It's a little blingy IMO but I never intended this car to be a wall flower amongst the herd.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #16
Samir72
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Excellent just glad they are all working now
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #17
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

installed mine and the outer part popped out after I thought I was finished! The plastic clip fell down and broke off???
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:30 PM   #18
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
I considered an upgrade from pre-lci tails to black lines, dark reds, or these GTS stye. I cant help but think the design is super uncomfortable on the GTS (like smooth lines and then there are these squares likes someone is playing Solitare on 1990s computer). I went with blacklines, they looks very good and always go very cheaply in Europe (i dont know why but half price of red dark tails). Everyone who saw them compliments, and now they look sameish design as the current 3 series does with only red L shape graphic. Id go Blacklines but you do you!
What’s the price for the blackline in europe? Is it oem bmw? Or aftermarket like vland brand? Is it hard to install in f30 pre lci car? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:40 PM   #19
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
installed mine and the outer part popped out after I thought I was finished! The plastic clip fell down and broke off???
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
Never mind. Think I'm good. Think I originally had it slide under the glue plastic vs wedged deep into the metal.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #20
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
What’s the price for the blackline in europe? Is it oem bmw? Or aftermarket like vland brand? Is it hard to install in f30 pre lci car? Thanks.
They were OEM, required a harness (separately bought from same place) and coding. I think lights were in 400 EUR range, the coding and harness may be 150 together. So 550 EUR, 1 hour of coding and work. If you know how to code you can probably DIY this one. I had the dealer do it.

Upon inspection one light had some blemish in LED bar. I had it replaced under warranty on part by dealer, even though it was purchased from salesafter.de online shop (a good shop to buy parts online for BMW in EU... just a tip, no affiliation).

Here they are on my pre-LCI.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tallest; 10-26-2021 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #21
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
They were OEM, required a harness (separately bought from same place) and coding. I think lights were in 400 EUR range, the coding and harness may be 150 together. So 550 EUR, 1 hour of coding and work. If you know how to code you can probably DIY this one. I had the dealer do it.

Upon inspection one light had some blemish in LED bar. I had it replaced under warranty on part by dealer, even though it was purchased from salesafter.de online shop (a good shop to buy parts online for BMW in EU... just a tip, no affiliation).

Here they are on my pre-LCI.
taillight looks great on your silver F30, makes me want it even more...
i can't imagine how it looks with M performance body kit, should look awesome
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:26 AM   #22
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
taillight looks great on your silver F30, makes me want it even more...
i can't imagine how it looks with M performance body kit, should look awesome
Yeah, I saw them first time on a beige metallic Msport F30 which I was driving behind. I ordered them as soon as I got home.

On Msport they will fit superb.
Appreciate 0