F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Striped bolt hole on rear knuckle for upper control arm??
Extreme Powerhouse

10-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #1
jew82
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Striped bolt hole on rear knuckle for upper control arm??

I heard a rattle of metal in my passenger rear. I took the tire off and found that bolt that goes through and threads into the knuckle was loose. I took the bolt out and it was missing the end like it got sheard off. I tried to thread in a new bolt and no dice.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I bought a helicoil kit and hope I can get into the tight area without pulling the knuckle off.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:40 PM   #2
cleaver
Private
Rep
Drives: white F31 328xi

Unfortunately, yes. Hit a big bump about 2 months ago and left rear showed extreme negative camber. Local shop diagnosed bolt holding left rear upper control arm to hub carrier had sheared. They spent a lot of time extracting it. Replaced with new bolt and aligned. Was not happy with the bill.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #3
jew82
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
Unfortunately, yes. Hit a big bump about 2 months ago and left rear showed extreme negative camber. Local shop diagnosed bolt holding left rear upper control arm to hub carrier had sheared. They spent a lot of time extracting it. Replaced with new bolt and aligned. Was not happy with the bill.
Luckily the bolt can come out so I'm just going to drill out the hole, tap, and place a helicoil. Never done it before but watching youtube it doesn't seem too bad. If it goes completely awry I'll be on the hook for buying a new knuckle unfortunately.
Appreciate 0